cheap chinese carbon ripoffs

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
boris

Re: cheap chinese carbon ripoffs

Post by boris »

''I launched the last rock ledge and when I landed my handlebar snapped sending me over the edge of a 40 foot embankment.''

surely the cause of this injury was mainly that the bike as hurtling about next to 40foot embankment. Some rides are exciting for a reason. I have snapped several frames and a handlebar down the years through long use and rattling off-road .
PJ520

Re: cheap chinese carbon ripoffs

Post by PJ520 »

boris wrote:''I launched the last rock ledge and when I landed my handlebar snapped sending me over the edge of a 40 foot embankment.''

surely the cause of this injury was mainly that the bike as hurtling about next to 40foot embankment. Some rides are exciting for a reason. I have snapped several frames and a handlebar down the years through long use and rattling off-road .
Quite true. There's a physical limit to what any equipment will take. Reminds me of an old salesman I used to know who, when someone was slagging some product, would say "They're all good products, if they're used right".
When you've got a cheesy product pretending to be a decent one that's a different can of worms - a challenge the fashion industry has faced for decades. But at least life isn't at stake when you buy a fake handbag. Sadly the fashion industry's record in getting anything done about fakes is not outstanding and they have a lot more money to throw at the problem, I should imagine.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West