Dealing with verbal abuse

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Annoying Twit

Re: Dealing with verbal abuse

Post by Annoying Twit »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
Cyclingkip wrote:Hi everyone. I have anxiety and I am actually really confident cycling on cycle paths, just not the road. I have encountered a group of mums and children who don’t seem to care that I am cycling towards them on a shared path. So I ring my bell to let them know that I am coming as they don’t seem to acknowledge me and never move.
Everyday this happens and one mum usually shouts at me. Does anyone know how to deal with verbal abuse?
I used to shout back at people saying I’ve done nothing wrong but I found that this usually made the situation worse.

Stick your tongue out at them. The mums won't know what to do and the kids will find it hilarious.

Bonus points if you put your thumbs in your ears and waggle your hands at the same time?

EDIT: I'll point out that on towpaths etc. I'll warn people verbally that I'm coming past on their left/right. It seems to work most of the time except for the occasional person who doesn't know their left from their right. Most pedestrians seem to appreciate this.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Cunobelin wrote:
JohnW wrote:
Annoying Twit wrote:
Stop, look at her sadly, then say 'I hope you get the help that you need.' Then slowly cycle off.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ............anyone tried that?

I have phoned a company and pointed out that soliciting sex..... in their case offering to perform a sexual act was illegal, however I was glad to see that they embraced diversity by employing such an openly gay person

What on earth has your comment got to do with the two posts that you are responding to?
hemo

Post by hemo »

It doesn't take much for them to be labelled halfwits as it so very often comes naturally, best not to sink to their level of upper aspiration.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Annoying Twit wrote:................I'll point out that on towpaths etc. I'll warn people verbally that I'm coming past on their left/right. It seems to work most of the time except for the occasional person who doesn't know their left from their right. Most pedestrians seem to appreciate this.

Yes - I've found that generates a civilized, and sometimes friendly, encounter. I've witnessed that not everyone on a bike on Greenways behaves in an acceptable manner, and I've certainly encountered pedestrians who've been genuinely surprised by a cyclist's considerate and well mannered approach.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Come to a stop just before they reach you, get off and stand by your bike and take up as much of the cycling lane as you can. You are now a pedestrian, if they are coming past you then they have to move. Keep doing this every single time, if they say something/abuse you say that's a public order offence and you'll report it to the police.
If coming from behind get off bike, shout excuse me and get past, if they deliberately block you/shout abuse that is a public order offence and again state you'll report to the police.

it's exactly this and many other reasons why shared paths are the devils work and totally useless and highlights that some people are utter morons and should never breed.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

The utility cyclist wrote:...............shared paths are the devils work and totally useless................

Not quite that bad, but tragically they're the best that this country provides.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

JohnW wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:...............shared paths are the devils work and totally useless................

Sharing with motons is much worse
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
JohnW wrote:

Sharing with motons is much worse

Oh yes - but they buy bikes and act on Greenways with the intolerable arrogance which befits their religion.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
In my first post I tried to suggest the only way to avoid provocation, is to silently ignore / avoid any type of confrontation.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The utility cyclist wrote:Come to a stop just before they reach you, get off and stand by your bike and take up as much of the cycling lane as you can. You are now a pedestrian, if they are coming past you then they have to move. Keep doing this every single time, if they say something/abuse you say that's a public order offence and you'll report it to the police.
If coming from behind get off bike, shout excuse me and get past, if they deliberately block you/shout abuse that is a public order offence and again state you'll report to the police.

it's exactly this and many other reasons why shared paths are the devils work and totally useless and highlights that some people are utter morons and should never breed.

There is also the art of "standing still"

I use this a lot when walking as well as on the bikes or trikes.

Simply stand still and make them flow around you. Works in shops, pavements, cycle paths even on the road.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
In my first post I tried to suggest the only way to avoid provocation, is to silently ignore / avoid any type of confrontation.

+1
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cunobelin wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:Come to a stop just before they reach you, get off and stand by your bike and take up as much of the cycling lane as you can. You are now a pedestrian, if they are coming past you then they have to move. Keep doing this every single time, if they say something/abuse you say that's a public order offence and you'll report it to the police.

Simply stand still and make them flow around you. Works in shops, pavements, cycle paths even on the road.

Also when driving, if they try to bully me into going faster I slow down/stop to let them by
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Blow them a kiss and carry gaily on.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Annoying Twit wrote:EDIT: I'll point out that on towpaths etc. I'll warn people verbally that I'm coming past on their left/right. It seems to work most of the time except for the occasional person who doesn't know their left from their right. Most pedestrians seem to appreciate this.

I rarely ride towpaths (maybe a few city canals) but I find verbal warnings rarely work. Even if they're heard, walkers seem unable to differentiate between "I'm coming past on your left" and "please move to your left". Maybe it's my voice (I've been told it sounds angrier the louder it gets), but I find a sonorous bell from a good distance is much more likely to lead to a outcome where everyone seems happy.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Cunobelin wrote:

Yep, always apply this when meeting other traffic who decide to reverse give way laws...........they call it Good Samaritan....gives them a warm fuzzy stroke (stroke as in psychology).........yours is always a cold one........
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.