Elbow pads

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
David F

Elbow pads

Post by David F »

In a recent unexplained "off "I contrived to break my elbow, my first injury in more than sixty years of cycling. Fortunately, I'm making a good recovery, and hope to be back on my bike soon. Whilst lightning is unlikely to strike in the same place twice, I'm wondering whether to use elbow pads, at least until I get my confidence back. My problem now is that I don't know how to choose from all the pads available. So I would really appreciate it if any users of this Forum with firsthand knowledge of elbow protection could give me the benefit of their experience.
Thank you in advance for any tips.
David F
Boring_Username

Re: Elbow pads

Post by Boring_Username »

My son does downhill mountain bike racing (think dodging trees at high speed). If you want protection that gives confidence you might want to look at kit aimed at that market, which is likely to be very robust.

For example look here http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/body-armour/arm-pads
DavidHg

Post by DavidHg »

I’ve had a similar experience. In July this year I was knocked off my bike by a van while I was turning right. I landed on the road very badly, and as a result fractured my elbow and my pelvis. I have only recently returned to cycling (being able to walk seemed to be more of a priority) and have so far only managed about 10 miles. According to the x-rays, the accident made quite a mess of my elbow, and I was worried what would happen if I landed on it again. Knowing that mountain bikers used body armour, I decided to find what was available. Chain Reaction seemed to have a large selection of elbow protectors and I ended up buying this.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fox- ... -prod60810

(When I bought it there was quite a substantial discount, not 1p!) I have used them several times. I hardly notice them, but they are a bit sweaty. I am however grateful for the added confidence boost.
Greenbuilder

Post by Greenbuilder »

Hi David
I have a pair of Bliss ARG Minimalist pads for low risk mountain biking.
They are very light, comfortable and unobtrusive, due to 'custard' technology, I believe.
Highly recommended.
Tony
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

You don't say what type of elbow fracture? In my experience it is likely to be due to putting your hand out resulting in one of two fractures, radial head or clavicle due to the way the force goes through the arm. Direct impact fractures can also occur. I do wonder how much padded armour will save either fractures occuring... though obviously will save skin from bruising and grazing and if it gives you the confidence to carry on cycling it won't do any harm to wear them.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
rjb

Post by rjb »

In my late 50's I suffered an off trying to avoid a colleague who had touched a wheel and fallen in front of me. I couldn't avoid coming off and reminding myself not to put my hand out to avoid a collar bone break I tyres to roll over breaking my elbow in the process.
I had to have it pinned and was informed by the surgeon that I would never be able to straighten it past about 70 degrees. Working with the Physio helped me to get it straight but not quite enough to get it over straight to enable one to lock it. I was concerned about riding again and when I plucked up enough courage I soon stopped worrying. After 6 months the pins were starting to expel themselves so the original decision to leave them in place permanently was reversed and out they came. Hope this helps and best of luck.
image.jpg
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
David F

Post by David F »

Hi Eileithyia,
Thank you for your post. I suffered an olecranon fracture. It could have been the consequence of putting my hand down because I did have a graze at the base of my palm opposite the thumb but it didn't seem particularly significant at the time, and I had more concerning minor injuries in other places. Whilst I.hope I never have to revisit my recent experience, I'm inclined to agree with your opinion that elbow pads wouldn't offer a great deal of protection in a similar scenario. Thank you, too, to the other posters who've shared their experiences; I haven't finally decided whether "to pad or not to pad" so I will certainly look more closely at their respective suggestions.
David F
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

A thought from the side here, you will probably have a tendency to favour the undamaged arm at least when you first get back in the saddle , you might want to consider wrist support as well. (I am awaiting Carpal Tunnel surgery, I think part of this problem stems from a broken collar bone a few years ago )
You might also consider additional padding on the bars / lifting the stem slightly/ larger section front tyres/ less tyre pressure in the front. Good luck.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

I've had two fractured elbows (one a car knocked me off, another a ped ran into me), the thought of an elbow pad never crossed my mind, personally I'd say don't bother, more intrusive than it is beneficial. You'll end up thinking about it more as opposed to just getting on with things, armouring up everytime we have a mishap would see us in bubble wrap for the rest of our days from the age we can get into scrapes.
GL whatever you decide.
boris

Post by boris »

9months ago I had a fracture pinned exactly like the pics above. I usually do wear a pad over it if I am going further than the shops.
Mine is just an old knee pad for a child skateboarder.