actual Holdsworth la quelda frame weight?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PH

Re: actual Holdsworth la quelda frame weight?

Post by PH »

Boring_Username wrote:A frame with a steel unicrown fork is always going to be heavy.

That doesn’t follow at all. It’s true that many cheap and heavy forks are unicrown but there are also some decent quality ones that are no heavier than any equivalent. I’m thinking of the likes of Shand, Vicious and IRD, the last of which I have experience of. Likewise there’s plenty of forks with a lugged crown that are heavy, I’ve had a few.
I swapped my IRD cross/touring straight unicrown forks for a set of curved cast crown ones after an accident. Same tubing (Tange Prestige) same length and offset, hardly any difference in weight or anything else.
Vitara

Post by Vitara »

The utility cyclist wrote:I thought weight didn't matter ...

Yes we've seen it said lots of times on this forum that weight doesn't matter. Now we have a thread inferring that it does on the basis of Plantex X selling a Steel Frame set at £99 which they say weighs circa 3.8Kg.

As I said in an early post 5 of my club mates have built these frames into bikes which they are riding regularly. I will ask tomorrow if anyone wheighed the frame prior to building, I expect not, we know they are not especially light.

Having looked at quoted frame weights for other bikes I would say 3.8Kg is probably about right. Again coming back to my early post, for around £200 (depending on what parts you already have) they build up into a very useable single speed bike with clearance for mudguards, and they ride well. One of the bikes covered over 10,000Km last year including a Super Randoneur series.

If you want a lighweight single speed bike this isn't the frame for you, but if you're looking for something reliable and rideable without spending too much money you won't go far wrong with a La Quelda. The Holdsworth name and colour schemes are an added bonus making it a little more distinctive.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

just to put the matter into context I am thinking that PX have made some kind of cock-up on the published weight spec either presently or previously.

I've swung my leg over enough different steel frames to know that I would prefer one of that design that doesn't weigh 3.8kg, based on the way it rides rather than the sheer mass of the thing. I've ridden frames (with skinny standard gauge tubes, in large-ish sizes) that rode quite nicely at that weight, but that frame design probably won't ride as well as those did, at the same weight.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~