Tempted by a more expensive bike ( than originally planned )

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
weewards

Re: Newbie seeking advice

Post by weewards »

Hi everyone, many thanks for all the good advice, I have decided to go for the Triban 540.
I had done my research on the 540 before & had a quick ride around the store last week so I know it is a great bike but the Ultra just added a bit of doubt. I know I would have been happy with the Ultra but common sense prevailed :D

Another question from a newbie, I know that I need a pair of cycling shoes, do I need a size bigger than I would normally need as a friend suggested?
What is better KEO or SPD cleats and do I have to order these separately or do they come with the shoes?
SmilerGB

Post by SmilerGB »

Cleats are personal preference I use spd mtb cleats & pedals so I can walk on them & they are easier to clip in & out.

It all depends if you want the best power transfer to pedal or a more functional setup
The bicycle is a simple solution to some of the world's most complicated problems.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Shoes; can depend on the make, you might be best trying a couple of different types, some are slim fit. I use a slightly larger size in winter so I can wear thicker socks. I generally find Shimano are wider bigger fit anyway, and sidi can be quite slim.

SPD have a recessed sole... making it easier to walk about; Shops, cafe, etc. I would advise if you are new to such style of pedals ('clipless') go for these and double sided pedals ie a flat pedal one side and housing for the spd cleat the other.. to give you chance to get used to them. Don't worry everyone has whoops moment where they cannot get their foot out of the pedal usually at some busy traffic lights in front of an audience. I suggest you practise clipping in and out before you go out... either use a turbo to stand bike on or hang on to a fence / wall.
TBH can't remember if the cleats come with the shoes or with the pedals....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Paulatic

Re: Tempted by a more expensive bike ( than originally planned )

Post by Paulatic »

Usually come with pedals
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

weewards wrote:Hi everyone, many thanks for all the good advice, I have decided to go for the Triban 540.
I had done my research on the 540 before & had a quick ride around the store last week so I know it is a great bike but the Ultra just added a bit of doubt. I know I would have been happy with the Ultra but common sense prevailed :D

Another question from a newbie, I know that I need a pair of cycling shoes, do I need a size bigger than I would normally need as a friend suggested?
What is better KEO or SPD cleats and do I have to order these separately or do they come with the shoes?

shimano shoes are usually tighter so going up a size is better if you are buying online. specialized are correct in my experience. you can change the insoles if you want them a little tighter.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Cleats usually come with the shoes. Buy them as you would any other shoe - try them on first!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

cleats also (more often) come with the pedals. If you are buying SPD pedals, don't buy them without cleats, it is invariably a false economy.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

If you are new to clipless pedals (and especially if you have not cycled for a while), I'd go for Shimano SPD style and specifically for PD-T400 pedals and cleats:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-t400 ... 7999425662

Ignore that they are for an MTB, they let you used both flat shoes (good to start with) and cleats and have an easy release cleat that makes it easy to get in and out of then, they are also very forgiving if you struggle to get your feet clipped in at first. I have several club mates that started off using this style of pedal some of whom said they would never use cleats!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

weewards wrote:Another question from a newbie, I know that I need a pair of cycling shoes, do I need a size bigger than I would normally need as a friend suggested?

You don't need cycling shoes. You can just get normal pedals, and that is a safer option if you haven't been cycling in a while. If you are confident on the road, no problem. But if you aren't entirely comfortable with cycling at this point, it might be better to just get regular pedals and try clipless in a few months, when you have regained some confidence. Most people fall over once or twice learning a clipless system.

Be aware that not everyone gets on well with clipless, and clipless systems can exacerbate problems with set-up.

That said, I would recommend Shimano PD-M324; it is a platform pedal on one side & clipless on the other. They come with multi-release cleats which are among the easiest to begin clipless with. They give you a choice to use the platform side and normal shoes, or clipless.

Decathlon's own brand of cycling shoes, I have found to be good value for money. Road shoes will be harder to walk in than MTB shoes.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I see you've made your choice. However, IMHO the carbon one would be much more comfortable. I've ridden bikes of aluminium, steel, titanium and carbon: the last has been by far the most comfortable, and the aluminium the worst.

I think you'd probably do more miles on the carbon one, and enjoy them more.

I'd also go for SPD shoes & pedals: riding in a bunch you can clip on faster since you have two clippable sides on the pedal. SPD are also ten times better than "racing" shoes - in the latter you walk like a duck, slide all over the place on uneven stone surfaces, and go in peril of your life on steep slopes.

Personally I'd like to see lower gearing on both bikes, but I'm 20 years older than you - you young things can take it.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
jessand

Post by jessand »

Audax67 wrote:I see you've made your choice. However, IMHO the carbon one would be much more comfortable. I've ridden bikes of aluminium, steel, titanium and carbon: the last has been by far the most comfortable, and the aluminium the worst.

What a bizarre post!! I suspect you may have ridden a 1990s aluminium race frame or a very cheap BSO if you still think aluminium frames give a poor ride. I think you may find more comments on harsh riding carbon frames rather than aluminium in recent years.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

jessand wrote:
Audax67 wrote:I see you've made your choice. However, IMHO the carbon one would be much more comfortable. I've ridden bikes of aluminium, steel, titanium and carbon: the last has been by far the most comfortable, and the aluminium the worst.

What a bizarre post!! I suspect you may have ridden a 1990s aluminium race frame or a very cheap BSO if you still think aluminium frames give a poor ride. I think you may find more comments on harsh riding carbon frames rather than aluminium in recent years.

You may be right. It was a Y2K 7500 racing frame. Still, it put me off aluminium for good. My current carbon frame is a Trek Domane, as gentle on the bum as a feather bed.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

I am bit confused, why only go to decathlon. I'd have taken the upper priced bike as a new maximum ( allowed) then looked elsewhere, to see what was around in the sales, at less than this. You sound like you are returning to cycling, if so, would this bike be right for you and the use it would get. I bought a £1700 bike in a Xmas sale 2 years ago for £999. But its a tourer, heavier etc, but I can ride rough stuff with it, club runs, tour, everything really, but its not light. The fact the triban has rack eyelets and mudguard are possible is a good thing, but. I would have gone for something a little more versatile, 'adventure/ gravel/ rough stuff. Hope you have a lot of happy miles on your new bike.
weewards

Post by weewards »

Hi, I have always had a bike but my current one is a hybrid and whilst it is fine for general plodding along I am left struggling to keep up with mates on their proper racing road bikes. I looked at various bikes but shortlisted the Triban 540 (& later the Ultra) as the combination of Mavic Aksium wheels and Shimano 105 drivetrain seemed to be good.

There are so many choices from various suppliers that you have to jump in sometime 8-))