Could cars become bicycles?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
horizon

Could cars become bicycles?

Post by horizon »

I was prompted to reflect on this by an advert for a new car that popped up on the web and the idea of peak car (at least car usage and at least in say London).

The car in question appeared superb (I forget the make): technologically it was safe, fast, comfortable, ergonomic, practical, capacious, quiet (for the passengers), warm and well-equipped. There didn't seem to be anywhere else for improvement to go. It seemed to have reached a sort of plateau of perfection.

But if I were to be looking for a new car, I would want easier parking (i.e. its own parking space), 100% recyclability, the ability to carry out my own repairs and minimum impact on the environment. As well as of course the sheer pleasure of driving it past other cars in a traffic jam and feeling fitter for doing so. If I wanted that sort of car I would buy, well, a bicycle. If cars and bicycles were all called the same thing (such as "vehicle"), that is the one I would choose. And indeed, so would many others.

I'm just wondering if car makers are now in a cul-de-sac and completely missing the point. Or if cars and bicycles are indeed going to merge over time and become varieties of electric vehicles and the distinction disappear altogether.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Annoying Twit

Re: Could cars become bicycles?

Post by Annoying Twit »

Surely it would be motorcycles and bicycles that would merge. The two wheel versus four wheel distinction is always likely to be there.

If internal combustion engines are replaced by electric bikes, then the distinction wold lessen considerably, and become a continuum.
craigbroadbent

Post by craigbroadbent »

The car is a bit of a victim of its own success. Clogging up the roads. In Singapore there is a quota.

In Central London Bikes are likely to exceed cars around now. Peak Car in city centres. Bike usage keeps climbing. London is nowhere near other European cities for modal share.

The electrication of the bike does bring a lot of car like benefits, so the differences start to fade.

Fortunately in Europe we have a standard for an electric bike. In USA there are lots of problems with powerful E-Bikes on bike lanes. Can't really say those are bicycles. They are motorbikes.
pwa

Post by pwa »

The car is indeed clogging up the roads because it is so successful. It has met a need so well. To the point where it has made problems. You can make a list of the things that people look for in cars and won't find in bicycles, so I don't see bicycles directly replacing cars. Bikes can't protect you from the rain, whisk you down the motorway and carry a week's shopping, all at the same time. But they can help you get fit, save you money on shorter commutes, and provide their own form of pleasure. So they can step in for some journeys that would otherwise be done by car.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Thought it for years. The future is Mario carts.

Seriously, we need to get away from the model where you buy the biggest vehicle you may need, perhaps once or twice a year, then think that something that will take 5 people camping is suitable for taking one person to work in the city. Rent on an as needed basis perhaps.

When I first started work, people stayed in jobs longer, only one of a couple commonly worked, so people could move closer to work. Many of the guys used a 125 or 250 motorbike for the short run. But of course, motorbikes are dangerous we are told, not the people in metal boxes knocking them off.

Now both partners commonly work, with employers many miles apart and jobs being so less secure that you can't afford to move all the time, hence so much more travel. We need to manage this in a new way, transport for a couple with capacity for ten + camping gear to get two people to two different jobs is bound to fail.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Society worked well enough a few decades ago with far fewer motors
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Society worked well enough a few decades ago with far fewer motors

It did, but things have changed. If a couple both have jobs, as tends to be the case, it is unlikely that both will have a short commute. Their jobs are likely to change from time to time, making the idea of living close to the job harder to achieve. Especially if they don't want their kids to be constantly changing schools and saying goodbye to their friends and communities.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

craigbroadbent wrote:The car is a bit of a victim of its own success. ....

As my dear old dad used to say in a completely different context "You have to think what would happen if everybody did it" and that's the way it's going with cars. It's not possible for everybody to do it, of course, but we're having a good try.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Plenty of people can and do manage without a vehicle

Used to drive 30 mins to work, that is dead time, destructive, expensive, makes me sick, can't do anything else in the time. Only possible positive thing is the chance to annoy normal drivers by observing the law

When I cycle to work I do not have to go cycling for fun, I can sing or recite the while

Best of all was when I could walk to work in 3 minutes, but then I had to go cycling for fun too :?
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 5 Jan 2018, 9:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

pwa wrote:Their jobs are likely to change from time to time, making the idea of living close to the job harder to achieve. Especially if they don't want their kids to be constantly changing schools and saying goodbye to their friends and communities.

Also, every time people buy property, the government wants a piece of the action. Given that jobs might not last, moving is often not financially sensible, even when it is desirable.

In fact, it might be better for all concerned (except the exchequer!) if the government were to incentivize people to downsize and move closer to work, rather than penalize them for it.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

pwa wrote:The car is indeed clogging up the roads because it is so successful. It has met a need so well. To the point where it has made problems. You can make a list of the things that people look for in cars and won't find in bicycles, so I don't see bicycles directly replacing cars. Bikes can't protect you from the rain, whisk you down the motorway and carry a week's shopping, all at the same time. But they can help you get fit, save you money on shorter commutes, and provide their own form of pleasure. So they can step in for some journeys that would otherwise be done by car.

An electric velomobile fits nicely in the gap between bike and car.
Apart from the motorway, it can replace a low milage single occupancy car while still giving most of the benefits of a bike.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

the dutch changed their attitude to cycling and put a proper infrastructure in for them what we do here is next to useless.

mind you the weather in the UK doesn't help because people have lost the mentality that riding in the rain makes riding on good days so much better.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

crazydave789 wrote:the dutch changed their attitude to cycling and put a proper infrastructure in for them what we do here is next to useless.

mind you the weather in the UK doesn't help because people have lost the mentality that riding in the rain makes riding on good days so much better.

Agreed,and on cycling forums such as this and others the vast majority of contributors are cycling enthusiasts who ride for pleasure whatever(within reason)the season.
If the UK is to become a cycle friendly nation,which ATM it certainly isn't that ordinary non enthusiastic Joe's and Joess public choose to ride rather than drive sub 3mile journeys,there'll need to be a massive shift in government and public perception of the worth of the bicycle.
I don't see that happening anytime soon.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

Tigerbiten wrote:An electric velomobile fits nicely in the gap between bike and car.
Apart from the motorway, it can replace a low milage single occupancy car while still giving most of the benefits of a bike.

I agree that an assisted velomobile has a lot to offer, and could well fit the OP's requirements (for shortish journeys, at least).

If someone does have an image in their mind of a velomobile it is usually of a streamlined model that gives the impression of "boy racer". That doesn't surprise me because, if mainstream press cover velomobiles at all this is what is portrayed. But, despite this image, they still keep you dry and can carry groceries etc. And the streamlining is of benefit (if you want to travel faster)

However, in Scandinavia and Europe there is a push toward utilitarian velomobiles. There are models that are easier to get into; four wheeled models; cargo models; last-mile delivery solutions; economy models with semi-rigid structures. This may be one of the ways forward.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Geoff.D wrote:
Tigerbiten wrote:An electric velomobile fits nicely in the gap between bike and car.

I agree that an assisted velomobile has a lot to offer, and could well fit the OP's requirements (for shortish journeys, at least).

If someone does have an image in their mind of a velomobile it is usually of a streamlined model that gives the impression of "boy racer". That doesn't surprise me because, if mainstream press cover velomobiles at all this is what is portrayed. But, despite this image, they still keep you dry and can carry groceries etc. And the streamlining is of benefit (if you want to travel faster)

However, in Scandinavia and Europe there is a push toward utilitarian velomobiles. There are models that are easier to get into; four wheeled models; cargo models; last-mile delivery solutions; economy models with semi-rigid structures. This may be one of the ways forward.

Though the ordinary wo/man on the street will need a lot of convincing to ride in what is seen to them as a Noddy or rickety pedal car,especially when there's 'proper' electric cars with all the creature comforts they've come to expect from a vehicle for not a great deal more than any kind of velomobile offers.
IMO velomobiles of any shape or size will remain very niche unless some serious refinements are made to them.
That said,the pedelec cargo bike/trike has a lot going for it within cities for last sub three mile deliveries IMO.
Last edited by reohn2 on 6 Jan 2018, 2:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden