Coast to coast

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
densmall

Coast to coast

Post by densmall »

I am a 69 years old, fairly fit, cycling 15 to 20 miles a day 5 days a week.I am planning to ride the coast to coast Morcambe to Bridlington this June.Can anyone advise me how to prepare a fitness programme prior to the 3 day ride.
thirdcrank

Re: Coast to coast

Post by thirdcrank »

All other things being equal, if you are regularly riding 75 - 100 miles a week, you should have no fitness problems. Is there something in particular which is causing concern? If riding the longer distances at one go is making you worry, I'd say there's no need but that's easily said. Try getting in a longer one-day ride (or several) between now and the planned start. That will give you an idea of what's involved ie mainly sitting and pedalling for extended periods.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I would continue with your existing regime but try and fit in a couple of longer rides each week, ideally on the day before one of your rest days. If you are not used to long rides then build up the distance slowly, adding 5 miles per week to your longer rides. Once you are up to 60 mile rides you'll be able to cope OK.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

+1 as above all looks sound advice.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Will this be a supported ride? Will you be carrying anything on your bike? What sort of terrain do you normally ride? I assume this will be the way of the roses route, in which case there are a few big climbs in the Yorkshire Dales section.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

densmall wrote:... I am planning to ride the coast to coast Morcambe to Bridlington this June.Can anyone advise me how to prepare a fitness programme prior to the 3 day ride.

Just do as many hilly miles as you can as often as you can without it being a chore. Fitness-wise, the worst that I would anticipate cycling the Way of the Roses over three days is having to walk up the hill out of Settle. Otherwise enjoy the ride. It's lovely :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Try doing 50-60 miles in a day a few times, it may be tiring but *if it is not hurting it is not working* (M Thatcher)

The hills use more energy if you are not used to them, going down is worse than going up :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
densmall

Post by densmall »

Many thanks for all your advice,will act on all your comments.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

You are probably doing enough but a couple of longer riders possibly with kit on would not harm. We took children on it, admittedly over 5 days and one of those was 9, so am sure if they can do it, you can...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

eileithyia wrote:You are probably doing enough but a couple of longer riders possibly with kit on would not harm. We took children on it, admittedly over 5 days and one of those was 9, so am sure if they can do it, you can...

Absolutely, it is a lovely ride. Just give yourself time to get through the Dales section. There is no embarrassment in walking up the hill out of Settle, or taking lots of 'photo stops' up Greenhow! With three days it might work to take two short hilly days to get you to York and then the third longer but more rolling leg to the coast.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I think the main benefit to some longer rides is in understanding what you need to eat to keep you going and getting your contact points used to the time. I'd suggest 20 miles is plenty, then a cafe stop and a bite to eat, then another 15 to 20. The blood goes away from your stomach while riding, which means it can be quite hard to spot how hungry you are. You don't always notice this until you've stopped for a while. A lot of long distance riding isn't about raw fitness, it's about knowing your body and the foods you get on with (and a good spread of gears!). Usually surprisingly ordinary food that you eat all the time, not gels etc.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I don't think there's any doubt that in terms of physical fitness, ten to fifteen regular daily miles is plenty. At the very least, it prevents that searing saddle-soreness that comes with riding a bike for the first time or after a long break, but for somebody without other health problems, it's enough to enable somebody to cruise along all day. Riding for hours at a time, especially if things are a bit grim eg strong head-wind, series of punctures, can be more about mental than physical fitness. Silencing the little voices saying it's silly.

Then, there are the things that only come from experience, either personally gained or by listening to others who who've suffered hunger knock/ bonk / dehydration etc.

Rule number one must be don't start too fast: keep it steady throughout.
Rule number two is to drink and eat in good time because blood sugar and fluid levels are gradually dropping through effort and perspiration and if they get below the red line then the effects can be sudden and distressing. Obviously, these effects are more rapid when riding hard than more gently but eventually they are the same.

Different riders develop different techniques for dealing with what are for them long rides. Some divide the distance into manageable chunks and concentrate on completing each chunk before thinking about the next. The last few miles before every destination tend to be killers for me so introducing intermediate destinations is daft. You only work this out for yourself.