...what the relative efficiencies of various drive trains?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cyril Haearn

Re: ...what the relative efficiencies of various drive trains?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Brucey wrote:I have taught several people (including myself, armed with no prior information!) to ride a unicycle. IMHO you are better off not bothering with any form of stabilisers; they will teach you habits that will just be counterproductive (and will have to be unlearned) later on.

In essence you are best off finding a corridor you can practice in (so that you can't fall sideways) in order that you get the hang of controlling your front-rear balance, which is completely unlike riding a bicycle. Not falling over sideways is then just a question of steering by twisting your body and pedalling at the right time. If you use a small wheeled unicycle (with say a 16" to 20" wheel) then your feet are only a few inches off the ground (so you can just step off as required) and you will be able to adjust your balance very quickly with a small wheel too. Larger wheeled unicycles are more difficult, and taller ones may fall less quickly but just hurt more if/when you fall off them.

Considering the transmission is so 'efficient', unicycles are surprisingly tiring to ride...

cheers

A path with a fence beside might be better than a corridor, one could grab the fence

Saw a little girl trying to ride a unicycle
She fell off, I thought she would cry
She laughed and laughed, +1
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

when learning, one does not have the benefit of knowing in advance whether one is just about to fall to left or the right, hence my suggestion of a corridor or passageway, ideally such that you can reach both sides at once.

If this exits into an open area, all the better; once one has attained a slight chance of riding a short distance (which at first is usually easiest when moving at about a walking pace), you can 'launch yourself' into the open area.

A useful skill to learn early on is when you are leaning to an unrecoverable angle, and it is time to simply step off. If you get well past this angle with your feet still on the pedals, you may well (quite needlessly) have a bad fall.

The unicycle that you learn on will hit the ground many, many times; it is a very good idea if the saddle is one that isn't easily damaged by being slammed repeatedly into the ground.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Brucey wrote:IIRC a unicycle isn't even considered a vehicle because the regs say (or at least used to) that you have to have two or more wheels. Years ago a chum enquired at the local police station and was told that all the regs that applied to bicycles didn't apply to unicycles for this reason. He went ahead and fitted lights and reflectors to his unicycle, but (at the time and perhaps still) he strictly speaking need not have bothered.
Very interesting.

Is a skateboard a vehicle?

Sorry, further thread drift. :oops: :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
busb

Post by busb »

http://www.stringbike.com/index.html
Love to know the efficiency of this drive system!
Added:
The manufacturer says similar to a chain. I'd love to try one! The cords oscillate - wonderful!
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Looks fun - but would you leave it parked anywhere public? It would be a bit of a temptation to a vandal with a penknife. :shock:
busb

Post by busb »

LollyKat wrote:Looks fun - but would you leave it parked anywhere public? It would be a bit of a temptation to a vandal with a penknife. :shock:

No! However, I wouldn't leave any bike in a public place despite be well insured. The only exception being public bike lockers. The only problem with the ones I have used are often locked empty.