what these steel frame/forks from ebay are like

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
whoof

what these steel frame/forks from ebay are like

Post by whoof »

Has anyone bought this frame/fork from Nidderdales Cycles via ebay and if so any comments regarding the frame.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REDUCED-STEE ... 35cdfd3b32
Bonefishblues

Re: what these steel frame/forks from ebay are like

Post by Bonefishblues »

Looks like an MTB frame to me - none the worse for that though.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Bonefishblues wrote:Looks like an MTB frame to me - none the worse for that though.

Indeed... One 'clue' is the cable guide on the seatube for a 'top cable' front mech.
Si

Post by Si »

1 inch steerer will limit your choice of fork a little more than if it had been 1.1/8th.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Thanks for the replies. It is a MTB frame and if I got one it would be replacing my current touring frame which is also based on an 90s MTB. It comes with a 1'' threaded fork and would only be a problem if I wanted to change this in the future.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Kona P2 forks are still two-a-penny so no issue with forks for the foreseeable future I'd have thought.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

fastpedaller wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Looks like an MTB frame to me - none the worse for that though.

Indeed... One 'clue' is the cable guide on the seatube for a 'top cable' front mech.

well the Dawes 1-Down has a top cable and aint a MTB
Bez

Post by Bez »

Bonefishblues wrote:Kona P2 forks are still two-a-penny so no issue with forks for the foreseeable future I'd have thought.

Nearly all P2s are 1 1/8", the 1" ones are pretty rare. Also I'd like to know where you're finding them two-a-penny, they normally fetch good money :)
Si

Post by Si »

mercalia wrote:
fastpedaller wrote:

well the Dawes 1-Down has a top cable and aint a MTB

is that not a bit of a skeudomorph?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

yup, it is an MTB frame. Looks as if it will build OK with dropped bars if you want it to, because the top tube isn't that long. One thing to be wary of is that the fork supplied might not be a perfect length match for the frame, in which case the resultant seat angle etc might be not what you would expect.

Also just because the main tubes are allegedly butted, it doesn't mean to say that the frame is particularly lightweight; there is no weight indicated....

Anyway, if you hare having one, best be quick, because at present there are only three left, according to the ebay listing.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

I've just bought one, so there's two left now. Time to jump if you want one!
whoof

Post by whoof »

Brucey wrote:yup, it is an MTB frame. Looks as if it will build OK with dropped bars if you want it to, because the top tube isn't that long. One thing to be wary of is that the fork supplied might not be a perfect length match for the frame, in which case the resultant seat angle etc might be not what you would expect.

Also just because the main tubes are allegedly butted, it doesn't mean to say that the frame is particularly lightweight; there is no weight indicated....

Anyway, if you hare having one, best be quick, because at present there are only three left, according to the ebay listing.

cheers

Thanks, I was wondering about things such as heel clearance, drop from saddle to bar and what the handling was like when loaded. I was expecting it to be relatively heavy but as it's main use would be touring with camping gear the difference between reasonably light and heavy would be the same as if I pick up a litre of milk at midday or wait until I arrive at my destination.
whoof

Post by whoof »

nirakaro wrote:I've just bought one, so there's two left now. Time to jump if you want one!

Great news. Could build it up and take it for a test ride this afternoon? A review would be appreciated, nothing fancy just a few hundred words and associated pictures.
Failing that I'll have another measure up of my existing bikes and take a punt tomorrow.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Bez wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Kona P2 forks are still two-a-penny so no issue with forks for the foreseeable future I'd have thought.

Nearly all P2s are 1 1/8", the 1" ones are pretty rare. Also I'd like to know where you're finding them two-a-penny, they normally fetch good money :)

Well I got a pair free with my Kona, for a start :lol:
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

whoof wrote:Could build it up and take it for a test ride this afternoon?

Yeh no probs. I'll just nip up to Harrogate and collect it, cannibalise parts off a couple of other bikes to build it up, and take it out for a quick hundred-miler to see how it runs. Get back to you in an hour or two? :shock: