Bike on a budget to cycle from France to denmark

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ronniexd

Bike on a budget to cycle from France to denmark

Post by ronniexd »

I'm looking to buy a bike that would be able to cycle from France to denmark (1100km) and I'm new to cycling but I'm very involved in fitness so I feel up to the challenge does anyone have advice for buying a bike for such a distance? I'm only 15 so I am on a budget.
Thanks in advance
iandriver

Re: Bike on a budget to cycle from France to denmark

Post by iandriver »

Any hybrid style bike, ideally without suspension, will do you fine. Something towards the more robust rather than the sporty end would be best. The traditional British dropped bar tourer, although great, is very much a UK think. In practice, once out there and doing it, you'll see all sorts of people riding about on every type of bike under the sun.

What sort of luggage are you taking? Are you camping etc. This all effects your choice, rack mounts etc..
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Bogawski

Post by Bogawski »

Have a look at the Giant GSR Trekking bike for sale in the "For Sale Complete Bikes" section of this forum. Looks good for what you want and a bargain. All the best for the trip.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

You're fifteen, you're reasonably fit, you don't mind a bit a wee bit of discomfort, so virtually any bike will do – as long as it's reasonably reliable. First long trip I did – 900 miles across France – I didn't even own a bike, just borrowed my girlfriend's.
Tell us roughly where you are, and how big you are, there's loads of people on here who've got far too many bikes (even if they don't realise it! :D) - somebody might have a spare one they'll offer you cheap.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The best bike on a budget is second hand. An older touring bike, or a hybrid will do. Older steel-framed mountain bikes also make good touring bikes.

Things to look for:
-pannier rack or mountings for it
-relatively low gears (not a racing set up) because it will make carrying luggage easier
-a size that fits you
-mudguards or mounting for them (they will help you & your stuff stay dry)

It will be easiest to get it set-up for you, if you buy second hand from a shop that can help you with that. However, member 531Colin has this guide to set-up that might be useful http://wheel-easy.org.uk/uploads/docume ... 02017a.pdf

Other things you will need: panniers, or other bags for carrying luggage, lights
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

Good on you. I went hitching in Europe just after my 16 th birthday and have great memories. A rigid fork mtb with thinner tyres would work well as old named brands are cheap. Camping on municipal sites is also cheap with the odd bit of wild camping.
Use this forum for any questions as the members are always helpful and have so much knowledge and experience and you will have a great trip.
Where in France are you starting from and getting back from where in Denmark?
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

What do you mean by budget? A rough idea of how much you have to spend would help.

Also, what is your bike knowledge like?

Secondhand is a good option, but do you have the necessary knowledge to buy something reasonable? Or someone who could help you?

Getting an old MTB (mountain bike) and doing it up could give you a good tourer - many on here tour on these. Even having the work done by a bike shop could still give you a cheapish bike.

If you want new and fairly cheap, you could look at places like Halfords or Decathalon.

What you first need to think about is what sort of accommodation, because if camping you will need to be able to carry your gear.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

There you go £40, fit some mudguards if you want and bobs your uncle, my first tour was around France on a 52/42 plus a 6 speed 13-24 block, this looks to have a bigger sprocket. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-Scor ... Swi4laVkVo
or this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rayleigh-198 ... Swl2haI8Cg
Hybrid with rack and guards https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-Chil ... SwI59aKpN9
Or a near new Raleigh hybrid with a rack and bag and some extra gears if you're going up some steep stuff https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Raleigh- ... SwfoNaToYV

You needn't spend much more on the bike than that, maybe a bit of fettling, a couple of spares, some basic tools, a rack/bag and/or frame fit bag if that's what suits you.
good luck.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Funny how you get a different impression. I'm guessing he wants a fast road bike for a quick trip staying at budget hotels with minimal luggage. Which makes most of the suggestions a bit off target. His "into fitness" tells me he's not into camping or meandering along river banks. But we shall see.

I think what we really need to know is how long he intends to take - three days or three weeks..
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

for new I'd look at what decathlon has to offer. their own brand stuff is top notch.

no idea where you are so there's no one to offer to lend you some kit. we've got a 16 year old on crazyguy who wants to do aberdeen to italy and back and a local guy has offered to lend him a lot of what he needs. if you are anywhere near birmingham I'm happy to help out if I can.

its a lot of effort but trawling ebay for hours and catching the right auctions can save you hundreds, gumtree and charity shops too. don't forget the wall of the local bike shops and local cycling clubs many of whom have their own forums.

if we know what you want many will keep an eye out for you and post up suitable auctions or give advise on what works.
The utility cyclist

horizon wrote:Funny how you get a different impression. I'm guessing he wants a fast road bike for a quick trip staying at budget hotels with minimal luggage. Which makes most of the suggestions a bit off target. His "into fitness" tells me he's not into camping or meandering along river banks. But we shall see.

I think what we really need to know is how long he intends to take - three days or three weeks..

Any bike can be reasonably fast whether that be a hybrid or a 40 year old racer with nothing particularly of note component or frame wise.
Either of those two Raleigh racers would be fine to get across France to DK if they were mechanically sound, it's not like people BITD weren't able to go long distances at a decent lick on machines relatively less able, fewer gears and much much heavier.

Doesn't really matter too much what he chooses so long as it's pretty much mechanically sound, has the gearing for his abilities/terrain and it can carry what he needs.
horizon

Post by horizon »

The utility cyclist wrote:Any bike can be reasonably fast whether that be a hybrid or a 40 year old racer with nothing particularly of note component or frame wise.
Either of those two Raleigh racers would be fine to get across France to DK if they were mechanically sound, it's not like people BITD weren't able to go long distances at a decent lick on machines relatively less able, fewer gears and much much heavier.

Doesn't really matter too much what he chooses so long as it's pretty much mechanically sound, has the gearing for his abilities/terrain and it can carry what he needs.

You and I might (and in fact do) agree on that but whether that is what the OP has in mind might be different!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
The utility cyclist

That would be mindset though and not a physical problem, you can't really help with that if people can't see past the trees in what they want to what they actually need particularly when doing stuff on a tight budget.

I appreciate 'nicer' can often equal 'better' even if sometimes it's a placebo effect but I'd probably want one of those old Raleigh's over something like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/racing-bike- ... SwXEdaUTB0 that looks to the unexpert eye to be better/newer. An original Muddy Fox hybrid with some slicks would be great but they are getting to be collectable/spendy.