Another pink experience

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
atoz

Another pink experience

Post by atoz »

Hi all

As a postcript to my earlier posting on the colour pink. After the Christmas and New year hols I weakened and bought myself a Castelli Perfetto LS jersey (sale price). They had been widely discounted both online and in shops that stock them. Guess which colour wasn't in the shops- yes, you got it, pink. So I bought online. Turns out that the ones discounted in the shop wouldn't have fitted anyway (L- and I know from experience that I am always an XL in Italian cycle jerseys). So it proved to be- XL it was. Again, the Cycle Surgery branch I mentioned before did not have this jersey in this colour- of course it's a man's jersey so they wouldn't, would they? Neither did the Evans branch nearby- but they had it online.

It would be worth buying a bike in this colour to match just to wind people up..lol
The utility cyclist

Re: Another pink experience

Post by The utility cyclist »

I once raced (a single circuit around the estate) some young pups who were taking the mickey out of the baby pink Bottechia ladies sit up and beg bike I was doing a test ride on. promptly beat them hands down, oh their shame.

My old Campagnolo jersey had a lot of pink in it in the earky 90s but I like red blue and black, did look at getting a profetto but I'm a 46-47" chest and got conflicting info re fit on the bigger sizes.

Getting a pink bike will certainly make you stand out :D
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

...especially if you're a boy named Sue. ;)
Have we got time for another cuppa?
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

I would not buy a pink jersey for the same reason I would not buy yellow: I will never enter a tour race. :lol:
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
atoz

Post by atoz »

MarcusT wrote:I would not buy a pink jersey for the same reason I would not buy yellow: I will never enter a tour race. :lol:

Ah but it isn't an official team or leader's jersey- just a plain jersey that is coloured pink. After all, if if was so unacceptable, you wouldn't be able to buy a red jersey because the Vuelta leader's jersey happens to be red.

Audax67 wrote:...especially if you're a boy named Sue. ;)

And what of it? Beats flo green every time, in my book.

Pink is still on trend for men. I actually spotted multi packs of boxer shorts in Sainsburys, one of which was plain "Giro" pink. In the world of sport and athleisure there's a lot of gender segregation of colours . I had a brief look at one of the sports chains recently when looking for a Christmas present for a female friend. The female section was heaving with leggings in quite garish shades and colours, whereas the men's section was in blues and greys and blacks- and lots of baggy shorts that you're supposed to wear over leggings (of course they're called something else- bit girly, that). Anyone would think you were shopping for young children in these places, it's so stereotyped. In the end I bought her something from good ol' Sainsburys.

The utility cyclist wrote: did look at getting a profetto but I'm a 46-47" chest and got conflicting info re fit on the bigger sizes.

Getting a pink bike will certainly make you stand out :D

In fact Castelli sizes were even worse years ago, back in '98 bought a Thermodress LS jersey- XXL- you have to laugh (in Gore clothing I would be a large)

As for the bike- yes it would stand out. Once saw a sign outside a clothes shop "life's too short to wear boring clothes"- should apply to bikes.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

My favourite album of all time is Meddle by Pink Floyd. I also have a pink shirt.

Nowt wrong with pink.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Going back a few years , Look clothing was all the rage . Primarily Pink but also a bit of Yellow if memory serves. Have a distinct memory of a Winter ride in the countryside, two very fast fast men approaching with pink top and yellow longs. Stood out a mile in the bare tree environment.
Also have a memory of my minute man in a Trike Time Trial passing on a Pink Trike , he was wearing a punk jersey too.
And we had another local trikie with a Pink Trike who was known as The Pink Panther. (think he moved to Devon )

Not sure about Pink but yellow attracts the flies in the summer in my experience .
All about being seen. I simply don't understand the current Vogue for Black .
( Apart from fact that it doesn't show the greasy fingerprints! ) :wink:
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

9494arnold wrote:.................about being seen. I simply don't understand the current Vogue for Black ..............

+1 to that.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

One of my favourite colours. Not cycling, but I found an all pink outfit - shirt, Wrangler jacket and velvet flares - in Leeds in late '60s was character forming! Insults and threats of imminent violence have never really bothered me since.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

The one time I went to watch Thai boxing, one of the favourites (I think he was introduced as the Champion o' the Worrrlld for his class) wore powder pink shorts. I don't remember anyone insulting him.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

And no one is writing like this???