im not looking for a Vittoria Hyper, READ THE ACTUAL FIRST SENTENCE

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mattsccm

Re: Where can I find an out of production tyre - Vittoria Hyper killer

Post by mattsccm »

Please stop arguing.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Some of the audience are perplexed by the somewhat unclear title.
Not one, but several.

I tend to agree. I'm hoping the OP can find something a bit clearer and UPDATE the original title.

. . . or at least remove the reference to Vittoria Hyper killer from the title.

Maybe I will do that.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

The utility cyclist wrote:
Brucey wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:.... so I don't think saying the tyre is stiffer is really accurate and the lowering of the pressures to achieve same comfort levels is purely guesswork.

if it is guesswork it is at least informed guesswork. I'd be interested to hear what you think when you try them out back to back.

cheers

I don't use hypers, I've purchased what I think will be a faster lightweight (and wide) tarmac tyre, the Almotion is really going to be for off road duties.

shame you won't get to compare the tyres back to back. It has been my observation that in his review Jarno Bierman's 'guesswork';

Jarno Bierman wrote:....Although rolling resistance of the Marathon Almotion is lower when compared to the Voyager Hyper or Marathon Supreme (read review), you do have to keep in mind that the anti-puncture layer in the Marathon Almotion makes it a stiffer tire. What this means is that -for the same comfort level- you have to run less pressure in the Almotion which in turn increases rolling resistance. I'm not sure exactly how much lower air pressure has to be, but I guess this to be somewhere around 10-15 psi....

is correct; if built on the same casing, puncture resistant tyres that use the greenguard approach feel a bit harsher (even if they are not much draggier) at any given pressure. Since pressure is just a number that is chosen (within limits) primarily for comfort reasons, you can argue that in use, the Almotion is liable to be a bit draggier than a Hyper.

Anyway the Hyper has no tread pattern to speak of, and you don't have (or intend to get) any, so isn't a comparable tyre for your (mostly muddy) use anyway; why bother mentioning it? BTW I daresay that users of the Almotion tyre might not have bothered to click on this thread because it didn't mention that tyre in the title.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Graham wrote:Some of the audience are perplexed by the somewhat unclear title.
Not one, but several.

I tend to agree. I'm hoping the OP can find something a bit clearer and UPDATE the original title.

Maybe I will do that.

You won't find any argument from me :wink:
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Not one, but several.

Maybe I will do that.

I wonder if said audience think "To Kill a Mockingbird" is an instruction manual on how to kill a Mockingbird?
Maybe said audience could read the actual post and then answer the query having been educated in it's meaning.
:roll:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Vantage wrote:I wonder if said audience think "To Kill a Mockingbird" is an instruction manual on how to kill a Mockingbird?
Maybe said audience could read the actual post and then answer the query having been educated in it's meaning.

Ah, thanks. That is where I went wrong then. . . . ..
I read the whole book : found no useful instructions.
The mockingbird is still up on the fence, staring in and . . . .. mocking me. :?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Vantage wrote:
Not one, but several.

Maybe I will do that.

I wonder if said audience think "To Kill a Mockingbird" is an instruction manual on how to kill a Mockingbird?

It is rather more usual for a Forum Thread to do what it says on the tin, mind. Still can't find those old model Hypers, me :(
The utility cyclist

Not looking for a vittoria hyper- an update

Post by The utility cyclist »

Fixed the title, no excuse for off topic replies and an instruction for those who don't bother reading the actual question/first sentence of threads to do so,.couldn't be clearer than that right!

Have purchased four, thank you to those who took the time to read the first sentence and offer useful input.
Bonefishblues

Re: im not looking for a Vittoria Hyper, READ THE ACTUAL FIRST SENTENCE

Post by Bonefishblues »

You have a rare gift.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

As a general point, IMO successful communication is mainly the responsibility of the sender, who should take account of the intended recipient(s). It's not appropriate to use the same language when talking to a young child as an adult and so on. So, anybody believing their audience is a bunch of idle nitwits may not get the response they want if they use cryptic clues.

Having no information about Vittoria Hyper killers, I read no further than the original title. My interest was only raised when I saw Graham's monicker. I once suggested that a moderator needs the wisdom of Solomon and the patience of a saint. I'd have kicked this over the wall before now, which shows how useless I'd be in that role. :oops:
=====================================
PS

There's a reason threads have a title.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

+1
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

I think you misunderstand the essential purpose of this forum. It is not particularly to answer questions, although it sometimes disguises itself as such: it's real function is to generate lots of conversation: some happy, some acerbic, occasionally angry.

To that end, the combination of a potentially ambiguous title, together with the ability of some contributors to half read the text while they hurry to put fingers to keyboard, is a triumphant recipe for success.
No pasaran
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Not looking for Vittoria Hyper eh? What you need then is to find retailers which don't stock them then. Chain Reaction don't so you're perfectly safe shopping there.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
colin54

Post by colin54 »

utility cyclist, glad you found what you wanted at a suitable price, Happy Trails !
Nu-Fogey
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

Maybe this is the start of a new trend; thread titles telling you what the thread isn't about. Could make the For Sale board very entertaining: "I'm not selling a Dawes Galaxy, IGNORE THE TITLE READ THE LISTING" :mrgreen: