Why bolted frame, Dawes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Patrickpioneer

Why bolted frame, Dawes

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Looking at the bikes on ebay, which I always do just for fun? I came across a Dawes where the rear triangle appears to be bolted, why do that and not braze it?
barrym

Re: Why bolted frame, Dawes

Post by barrym »

Good question. Some of the current Pashley range are like this too. In a quiet moment it crossed my mind that it might make them belt compatible [emoji848].
--
Cheers
Barry
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

It was common on old "roadsters" so presumably that's why Pashley do it -- because they always have done. But I don't know why Dawes are doing it (unless this frame is a rebadged Chinese roadster? or just to increase their retro appeal?), nor do I know the more interesting point of why it was done originally, though I'd guess that was simply to do with practical manufacturing techniques.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

One of the main reasons for bolted rear triangles is to enable a full chain guard to be fitted as on this Raleigh Superbe. Chain guards like that were once common on bikes meant for daily transport in all weathers.

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

In the instance of raleighs, IIRC the chaincases came off without having to have bolt-in stays, indeed not all raleighs with chaincases had bolt-in stays. Nor did all bikes with bolt-in stays have chaincases, either.

If that isn't the reason for bolt-in stays, maybe they were just cheaper to make? Or maybe there was at one time a rash of brazed seatstay breakages (not that unlikely) and it was a favoured method of construction for utility bikes because it rendered the frame repairable?

I have often wondered why it was popular to do it this way, but I have yet to hear a compelling argument for it.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Brucey wrote:In the instance of raleighs, IIRC the chaincases came off without having to have bolt-in stays, indeed not all raleighs with chaincases had bolt-in stays. Nor did all bikes with bolt-in stays have chaincases, either.

If that isn't the reason for bolt-in stays, maybe they were just cheaper to make? Or maybe there was at one time a rash of brazed seatstay breakages (not that unlikely) and it was a favoured method of construction for utility bikes because it rendered the frame repairable?

I have often wondered why it was popular to do it this way, but I have yet to hear a compelling argument for it.

cheers

Some could be fitted without unbolting chain stays, some couldn't. I've encountered both sorts.
Not all versions of bikes with similar frames were fitted them but it must have made production easier to make all the frames in the same way.

It's also probably to do with the way chainstays were made - my 1937 Raleigh frame has the "track " style drop outs formed by pressing the chain stays almost flat and cutting the slot for the axle so bolting the seat stay meant no need for any brazing at the drop out and the top end of the seat stays are fixed using the seat clamp bolt so no brazing their either. Must have been an economical way to do things.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Zanda

Post by Zanda »

I've wondered why too. For a short while I owned a Dutch made Union roadster with stays bolted. It was lugged and brazed at the bottom bracket but bolted at the seat cluster. I've seen a few traditional Dutch bikes made this way.
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

this is the bike, look at the handlebars too,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dawes-gents- ... 1438.l2649
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

hmm I wonder how far this could be taken to make a fully collapsable bike? that would fit into a small case?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

mercalia wrote:hmm I wonder how far this could be taken to make a fully collapsable bike? that would fit into a small case?

All the way if you want - but the bike will be heavier and stiffer than it would otherwise be.

Particularly the main triangle would suffer.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Having looked at the e bay phot, Is that not just a bolt on gear hanger which is quite normal on ATB /Mountain Bikes these days : saves trashing the frame by breaking the fork end if you stick the mech in the back wheel. :oops:
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

And have a look at Brompton/Bickerton/Dahon Folder etc etc :shock:
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I wonder if it might be a bonded frame of some sort with (say) titanium main tubes and steel stays like Raleigh Dyna Tech.

It's unusual for the seat post lug to be level with the top tube like that isn't it, I noticed that the rear brake cable dives into the frame at

the lug as well which is unusual. A rack fitting on the front fork but only a mudguard eye at the rear.

It looks like the Green Dawes used on the Galaxy in the early 90's , I like a mystery!
Nu-Fogey
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There is a lot to be said for bolting on the stays, one can repair/change them easily or convert the frame for other wheels + tyres

It must be possible to bolt the top, down and seat tubes too, I bet someone has done it already
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
colin54

Post by colin54 »

It looks like this may be a Dawes Vision with bonded aluminium frame, a picture of what looks like this very bike on page 2 of this thread

(note the bars).

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ilit=dawes
Nu-Fogey