Cambium saddle cracks

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Bmblbzzz

Re: Brooks Cambium saddles, is there a weight limit?

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I'm not sure I'd call it innovative; it's on the same principle as a Brooks leather saddle, fabric suspended between front and back, but the fabric is rubber topped with canvas, rather than leather. In fact, it's the traditional nature of the construction but with more modern materials that form its appeal. Some of the Cambium models are made with carbon rails too.

They are made in Italy (if you want one, buy before Brexit!) and as Selle Royal does not have the traditional image of Brooks nor a high-tech reputation, no doubt using the Brooks name allows them to charge a higher price. But if you want expensive, look at eg some of the Fizik models.
PH

Post by PH »

Kahu wrote:Thanks for all your replies chaps, I'm rapidly going off the idea of buying one of these, at £100 a throw I'd be expecting something rather more durable ....

They can often be found reduced, I paid around £70 for mine. That's comparable to the leather brooks it replaced, I changed because the previous two Brooks B17's didn't last. So far the Cambium is showing little sign of wear and I'm no lightweight.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

My C17 has been comfortable and shows no significant wear after a year and a half of frequent use. However, I’m fairly light at 65 kg. The alloy cantle has harmlessly corroded a bit.

They’re good saddles that unlike leather ones can be soaked without worry.
pwa

Post by pwa »

PH wrote:
Kahu wrote:Thanks for all your replies chaps, I'm rapidly going off the idea of buying one of these, at £100 a throw I'd be expecting something rather more durable ....

They can often be found reduced, I paid around £70 for mine. That's comparable to the leather brooks it replaced, I changed because the previous two Brooks B17's didn't last. So far the Cambium is showing little sign of wear and I'm no lightweight.

I paid for mine with Tesco loyalty card vouchers.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

is that something to do with the clubcard points or something else entirely?
pwa

Post by pwa »

Freddie wrote:is that something to do with the clubcard points or something else entirely?

Club card points. Used with Evans.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Thanks for that, never knew. Double the Tesco value too.
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

The saddlebag loops on the cambium are certainly not as strong as those on a B17, I know that from experience. The rest of it (C15) has stood up very well to having my 90kg perched atop it.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

mattsccm wrote:Do you think that riding in those shoes might have anything to do with it? Uneven wear maybe?

I was wondering something along those lines myself.
Alan O

Post by Alan O »

I have a C17 and it was very comfortable right from the start - I've used Brooks leather saddles in the past and have always liked them, so I guess the 'hammock' style of saddle suits me. My weight has averaged around 98kg while I've had it and it seems fine with that, but I've only done a few hundred miles on it so far so I can't say anything about longevity yet.
hayers

Post by hayers »

Very happy with my C17 - in fact just ordered one for my other bike from spa with the member offer in this month's cuk magazine.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Brucey wrote:If you ride your bike much, you may find that the cambium isn't terribly durable....

I have mine for over two years now (>15.000km), pretty much daily use with shorts, rain or shine. No signs of wear, it is VERY comfortable (I can tour with shorts and normal underwear).
Also I like to note that my shorts do not show signs of wear.
And I would always have a Carradice bag on it, a few times a week gets some heavy stuff like a couple kg of spuds or the sack of cat litter, and so on. Never a problem, aside from the known "squeal" from the nose, easily sorted with a dab of grease.
My weight is 73-75kg.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Psamathe wrote:...
I would have thought for wear to occur there must be something rubbing (repeatedly). The wear points on that saddle make me wonder what is causing the wear. I've done 10,000 miles on my C15 and the surface still as good as new; entire saddle as good as new.

Ian

and that bike doesn't really look in it's prime :(
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Put it this way: nothing lasts forever.
Either the saddle or your shorts would wear in some circumstances. Some people seems to eat through their bike parts at incredible rate, I see commuters destroying in 6 months the same Fizik bar tape that I've had for over two years and still looking new. Same for the saddles.
And I see people using some leather saddles that are reduced to a soggy 15" long and uber-stretched corner of leather. We all have a different shape of the bum, I've found myself pretty well with the C15 carved.
You can test one from selected shops.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Gattonero wrote:
Brucey wrote:If you ride your bike much, you may find that the cambium isn't terribly durable....

I have mine for over two years now (>15.000km), pretty much daily use with shorts, rain or shine. No signs of wear, it is VERY comfortable (I can tour with shorts and normal underwear).
Also I like to note that my shorts do not show signs of wear.
And I would always have a Carradice bag on it, a few times a week gets some heavy stuff like a couple kg of spuds or the sack of cat litter, and so on. Never a problem, aside from the known "squeal" from the nose, easily sorted with a dab of grease.
My weight is 73-75kg.

one of my chums (who is a few kg heavier) has used one for a similar length of time/miles and it is almost knackered, with the usual fabric missing where the nosepiece strains the hull. IIRC several rivets came loose with his until they were threadlocked. It isn't actually broken yet but it will be retired before too much longer.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~