Nice route around London

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Ben5000

Nice route around London

Postby Ben5000 » 23 Jan 2018, 1:24am

Hi,

I want to create a video from a Gopro mounted cam on top of my helmet.
I am looking for a route to be 15 min long on a steady pace without traffic lights in the area of great London or no more than 50 miles away. The main thing is that the route should be fairly flat and above all with as many landmarks across it to be filmed during the 15 min movie.

Can anyone please recommend on such route.

Many thanks in advance,
Ben

mjr

Re: Nice route around London

Postby mjr » 23 Jan 2018, 10:43am

"without traffic lights" is the bit that stumps me, especially combined with "above all with as many landmarks" as otherwise you could use laps of Richmond Park.

Could you wait until July for the Freecycle? It's usually an 8 mile loop around many central London landmarks and you're allowed to ignore traffic lights and if you coast and go early, you might get around twice without being stopped by crossing marshals.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Ben5000

Postby Ben5000 » 23 Jan 2018, 9:03pm

Many thanks mjr,

The Freecycle on July does sound like a good option but unfortunately a bit too late. What about a countryside in north london then. Can you recommend any route in that area to answer this?

Many thanks
Ben

iandriver

Postby iandriver » 23 Jan 2018, 9:26pm

No lights might be pushing it, apart from a big loop of the Olympic Park. If you started at Parliament Square, up Birdcage Walk, past Buckingham Palace and the Royal Parks very early on a Sunday morning, you might get surprisingly close.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

Ben5000

Postby Ben5000 » 23 Jan 2018, 9:36pm

Many thanks Landriver!

Can you also recommend on a countryside on north London? Not much about the traffic lights but more about a nice route and possible landmarks for a 15 min steady ride.

Cheers,
Ben

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 24 Jan 2018, 12:28am

Ben5000 wrote:Many thanks Landriver!

Can you also recommend on a countryside on north London? Not much about the traffic lights but more about a nice route and possible landmarks for a 15 min steady ride.

Cheers,
Ben

the crane valley from near Twickenham follow the river crane thru parks that the councils have nicely layed out - one side is tarmac the other is smooth dirt track you would almost think you are in the country side. one of my favourite rides. can be extended to ride by the side of hounslow heath but you have to find out how to get onto the track. a real adventure. a place of industiral archaelogy there is a tower left over from when they made musket balls - drop the lead from a great height into water below, you can go up the tower.

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=93127&hilit=crane

iandriver

Postby iandriver » 24 Jan 2018, 11:47am

The Twickenham area around the river can take in Hampton Court Palace, so might be a good one.

North wise, you have the Regents canal to the Olympic park from near Kings Cross then up the river lea as far as you wish to go via Hackney Marshes.

As ever with London, time of day is key to your progress. Areas like the Regents Canal are very heavy with pedestrians and the path isn't that wide, but on an early spring morning, you are seeing hidden London where only people with local knowledge tend to go.

Another option is Tower Hill through St. Katheryn docks and follow the Thames Path. See here https://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/rou ... -greenwich

This is always going to be a bit of a learning curve. It is a maze, but with time, it is really quite surprising how good parts of the off the beaten track London are to cycle in. It does take a bit of persistence to acquire it though.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

xjs

Postby xjs » 24 Jan 2018, 12:05pm

Hello. The Paddington Arm of the Grand Union Canal could be good - https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-th ... nion-canal

I used to commute that way sometimes. Can't quite remember the timings but, landmark-wise, you may be able to get from near Wembley Stadium to Little Venice in 15 mins, with the Trellick Tower in between. Further west towards Perivale it gets nice and country-fied too.

alex1987

Postby alex1987 » 31 Jan 2018, 4:43pm

Ben5000 wrote:Many thanks Landriver!

Cheers,
Ben

Not quite London, in fact properly outside, but if you can jump on a train to Hertfordshire you can find many a lovely countryside route. I will often start from stations like Brookmans Park, Beyford or Cuffley (just past the M25, and only about 30 mins train from Finsbury Park) and go from there.

If you want to keep within London you should look at Alexandra Park - lovely landmark and gorgeous view from the top! You could also easily include a loop of Finsbury Park for a traffic free round