Day trips to France

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
roberts8

Day trips to France

Post by roberts8 »

A few years ago we took advantage of day trip deals in various papers or from the ferry companies to go over to Calais for the day and have a good ride on quiet roads. I have been looking today and spoke to p&o as it seems more expensive for two cyclists on a day trip than up to nine people in a car. The booking clerk looked into it and agreed it was crazy so why not take the car and bikes and park in Calais!
Am I missing something?
If the day trip deals appear in any tabloids perhaps it could be mentioned on this forum as a £1 a day was indeed a bargain.
Could Cycling UK do a deal with the ferry companies that least for selective dates.
whoof

Re: Day trips to France

Post by whoof »

I pretty sure a few years ago there was a 'France for a £1' offer for four people in one of the papers. Someone tried it by four cyclist turning up by bike and they were refused. If they had put the bikes in a car and driven on they could have gone.
PH

Post by PH »

I don't remember any £1 day trips since the ferry exemption from duty free regulations came to an end (2000?) That was how they could do it, not at all bothered how much you paid for the ticket as they had an expectation of making £££s from you in other ways. Ferry fares seem to have gone the way of most other forms of transport, the difference between getting a bargain and being ripped off seems to be luck and change from day to day. Using the Shuttle is now my preferred way to France by bike, though the price has crept up to £20 each way and the timetable is a bit limited for a day trip.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Dover - Dunkirk in August it was £30 cheaper for self and son to take bikes over to France in the car than to cross with just bikes. In a way it's an advantage as there is lots of free parking in France - put the car in a free car park in the centre of St Omer for four days. Asked a gendarme and he said I could leave the car there in safety for as long as I liked. From speaking with him I got the impression the gendarmerie are not as feeble as UK police when dealing with relatively petty offences like car crime.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

Looks on the face of it staying for a few nights is the better option although I have found Brittany Ferries do 24 hours in France so if you book the night ferry you get a full day on the bike for 37 pounds. Back to a few nights camping for me although I might do the 24 hour option as I have cycling friend who cannot get away from a young family for very long and fancies something different.
iow

Post by iow »

roberts8 wrote: I have been looking today and spoke to p&o as it seems more expensive for two cyclists on a day trip than up to nine people in a car. The booking clerk looked into it and agreed it was crazy so why not take the car and bikes and park in Calais!
Am I missing something?

don't accept this nonsense - similar situation when we went to brittany in 2016 (Portsmouth - st malo, brittany ferries). my riding partner who booked the trip got our fare discounted to below the car and 'x' passengers offer price.
mark