Where on the Long Mynd?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
geomannie

Where on the Long Mynd?

Post by geomannie »

About 7 years ago I bought a couple ink drawings by the well-known (at least to older CTC members) cycling artist Frank Patterson (*).
One is entitled “The George, West Wycombe”. I recently became curious and was able to confirm that the location was accurate using the photos (formerly) available via GoogleEarth.

(*http://www.headsetpress.co.uk/feature/frank-patterson-cycling-illustrated/)

The other and arguably more interesting drawing that I bought is entitled “The Long Mynd Road”. The Long Mynd is not a place I know but I suspect that the image is a true representation of the landscape that the artist actually saw, rather than an impression. Are there any Shropshire folk here that can identify the exact location? I suspect that the road(s) will have changed a lot from the early part of the 20th century but the scenery will have maintained. I'd be really grateful for any suggestions.
Long Mynd.jpg
geomannie
Grey Area

Re: Where on the Long Mynd?

Post by Grey Area »

To me it looks a little like the view I get when driving home, towards Church Stretton.

Perhaps somewhere around here, looking NEish https://goo.gl/maps/5LdEU7i1Fz22
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

This website https://www.geograph.org.uk/has photos of just about everywhere in the UK. A browse through the Long Mynd area may help.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

The title of the drawing “The Long Mynd Road” would suggests that the road in the foreground might well be the Portway, the road that goes up towards the gliding club and follows the high plateau. It's an area well worth visiting. Book yourself a few days at the YH at Bridges and play detective.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

I also thought it looked a bit like the top of the Portway aka Asterton Bank at first glance.

It's a road I cycled up for the first time last summer, and I have to say it's one of the steepest, most unremitting bits of tarmac I've ever dragged my sorry, wheezing carcass up on a bike.

But surely no-one would ever be mad enough to attempt to ride a tandem *down* it, as implied by the sketch? Anyone here done that??
Si

Post by Si »

possibly somewhere round here I thought?
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.54358 ... 312!8i6656

but i've not been down there for a while.....last time we came up there at the end of an audax.....it was a tad trying, esp as I'd crashed early and had road rash!
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Long Mynd is by Church Stretton and it's a pig (especially after a long first day of a tour).
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

lovely place a bloody difficult climb but spectacular !!

I have some pics from August but not allowing me to upload them
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Good place for everesting?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

got pictures sorted out :-) not the best day out there !
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 18.19.48.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 18.19.37.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 18.19.29.jpg
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Good place for everesting?

hmmm not so sure for a lot of attempts and at the top is very open if weather dodgy
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 20.54.17.png
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

ianrobo wrote:

hmmm not so sure for a lot of attempts and at the top is very open if weather dodgy

One could go up from the west, down to Church Stretton, back up again, two different big hills, how many times would one have to do that to reach 8848 m?
The LM (Mynydd hir) should really belong to Wales
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
ianrobo wrote:

One could go up from the west, down to Church Stretton, back up again, two different big hills, how many times would one have to do that to reach 8848 m?
The LM (Mynydd hir) should really belong to Wales

well this side would be 30 times and IMHO if you want to that go to on of the South Wales like the Rhigos or Bwlch which are far steadier to climb
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Thanks all for your replies. From the pictures posted and from Google it seems that my picture clearly shows typical Long Mynd scenery but the location is probably too non-unique to determine. Maybe I will come and have a look and tour the area by bike. You never know, I may luck into the view.

Cheers
geomannie
SilverBadge

Post by SilverBadge »

geomannie wrote:About 7 years ago I bought a couple ink drawings by the well-known (at least to older CTC members) cycling artist Frank Patterson (*).
One is entitled “The George, West Wycombe”. I recently became curious and was able to confirm that the location was accurate using the photos (formerly) available via GoogleEarth.

(*http://www.headsetpress.co.uk/feature/frank-patterson-cycling-illustrated/)

The other and arguably more interesting drawing that I bought is entitled “The Long Mynd Road”. The Long Mynd is not a place I know but I suspect that the image is a true representation of the landscape that the artist actually saw, rather than an impression. Are there any Shropshire folk here that can identify the exact location? I suspect that the road(s) will have changed a lot from the early part of the 20th century but the scenery will have maintained. I'd be really grateful for any suggestions.
Long Mynd.jpg
On the basis of a few of Ken Knight's Audaxes, what looks like a distant downhill sweep mid-left reminds me of the descent towards Ratlinghope but I can't find a suitable viewpoint to match. Surprising how much of Long Mynd is quite a flat viewpoint, unlike the sketch. I'm guessing somewhere off the Burway looking northish. Might be best to look at an OS map and narrow it down to areas with the appropriate peaks and troughs.