Value of a Peugeot tandem

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pwa

Re: Value of a Peugeot tandem

Post by pwa »

Sadly, my feeling is that aged bikes don't fetch a lot of money. If it were mine I would try to find someone who would value it properly and give it away, rather than selling it to someone who will pay £50 then just neglect it and scrap it in a year or two.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

It's always sad when treasured bikes have to be sold. Tandems, more so than solo bikes, often have significant sentimental value . It would be so much nicer if someone from within your family could enjoy it.
GarethF

Post by GarethF »

Someone in the tandem club will be able to advise you, probably your best bet in terms of realising the true value of the machine.

https://tandem-club.org.uk/forSale

Sadly no space in our garage for it! best of luck
G
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Very little, even though it is in remarkably good condition - so let's say £100. The reasons for lack of value are that the frame design is very flexible and at that age it is very likely that components such as the cranks will be French threaded so making something as simple as changing pedals a real task. These are not, and were probably never aimed at, club riding machines being more of an introduction for the trendies of the time (like "fixies" a few years ago) since in the very late 70s/early 80s tandems enjoyed a resurgence in interest. In the early 80s I rode with a blind sports club who had a number of Peugeot tandems and the riders would tell me how different it felt to be riding a club rider's machine than one of the club's own.
Clairejc222

Post by Clairejc222 »

Thank you everyone. Its currently on eBay at 120 and ends tomorrow so will see what happens. Thanks again. Claire
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Thinking about this again today while on club run, to be honest some of the components stripped off and sold separately might be worth more than the whole especially considering what might be the cost of getting it to the buyer... items such as front and rear gear mechs, gear levers and the freewheel (the cogs on the back wheel), alternatively contact the Tandem club.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

You also could consider donating it to
http://www.charlottestandems.co.uk/
Clairejc222

Post by Clairejc222 »

Thanks for your help all. It sold for £142 in the end. Not too bad!