County- I am unsure!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Woodtourer

County- I am unsure!!

Post by Woodtourer »

As US citizen I must admit to being illiterate about the different counties. I see part of this site has Riding in Different Counties.
So what counties will we be riding through from Heathrow to Reading down to Poole?
Thanks!!
horizon

Re: County- I am unsure!!

Post by horizon »

When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Surrey, Hampshire, Dorset or Berkshire, Hampshire, Dorset, unless you head straight for the coast from Heathrow and ride East- West along there which would be Surrey, West Sussex, Hampshire, Dorset.

You might want to explore (part of) the South Downs Way on your travels https://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/south-downs-way. I would recommend you fit in a visit to at least some of it!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Woodtourer wrote:As US citizen I must admit to being illiterate about the different counties. I see part of this site has Riding in Different Counties. ...

Except for general knowledge, it's nothing to worry about. We've had reorganisations where whole counties have disappeared with a couple of new ones created for administrative purposes and the traditional counties are still used for things like sports teams and nostalgia.

FWIW, the historic county of Yorkshire was divided into three Ridings (the word is said to be a corruption of "Thirdings.")

The main thing is to enjoy yourself while you are here. :D
horizon

Post by horizon »

rmurphy195 wrote:
You might want to explore (part of) the South Downs Way on your travels

Just to emphasise that South Downs isn't a county and shouldn't be confused with South Down. Or County Down for that matter (which is). We think about these things Down South.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
gaz

Post by gaz »

Especially when up on the Downs.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Or down under.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I was feeling a bit down but now I'm county my blessings.

Hope you have a great trip, woodtourer.
Cycle left.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Woodtourer wrote:As US citizen I must admit to being illiterate about the different counties. I see part of this site has Riding in Different Counties.

No. As thirdcrank pointed out, only Yorkshire has ridings.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Essex has Rodings. BITD riding the Rodings was something of a rite of passage.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
horizon

Post by horizon »

Riding to Reading from the Roding is further than pootling to Poole from the Piddle.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Each Riding or County has a different accent, even in the South :wink:
I do love the variety of spoken English
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

To Woodtourer:

Don't worry, you will probably not see any difference from county to county. Each county has its own council and many have their own Constabulary (police) although some share, but it's hard to detect any difference from one to another if you are just cycling through.

Most laws are national, except things like litter dropping and parking, which are controlled by town councils.

There's no immunity if you cross the county border!
mjr

Post by mjr »

thirdcrank wrote:FWIW, the historic county of Yorkshire was divided into three Ridings (the word is said to be a corruption of "Thirdings.")

Traditionally, several counties in central England were divided into Hundreds, but there's fewer of everything in Yorkshire ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mjr wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:FWIW, the historic county of Yorkshire was divided into three Ridings (the word is said to be a corruption of "Thirdings.")

Traditionally, several counties in central England were divided into Hundreds, but there's fewer of everything in Yorkshire ;)

Except cyclists and grockles!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!