Search for good looking casual cycling garment

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
serbring

Search for good looking casual cycling garment

Post by serbring »

Hi all,

I commute by bike (arond 10km per day) and bicycle is part of my life (I am a bike traveller, bike commuter, randoneur, ecc). Sometimes, I need to arrive at the office in good conditions and I have to be good looking, but I want to make clear the bicycle is so important to me. So, I am considering to search for some good looking casual cycling garment. I searched for Rapha, that is good but I am not very convinced for the pink color of the garment. Do you know any other similar brand that produces such things?

Thanks
reohn2

Re: Search for good looking casual cycling garment

Post by reohn2 »

Take a look at Endura and Lusso
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
gaz

Post by gaz »

High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

?If cash is not a problem, Velobici makes nice stuff.
I also like Swrve, basically I live in their 3/4 shorts! :D
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
serbring

Post by serbring »

thanks for your reply and the nice stuff, you suggested. I have seen many merino tshirt. But, is merino too warm for summer? JFY, I live in Italy, more 35°C on summer time
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

serbring wrote:thanks for your reply and the nice stuff, you suggested. I have seen many merino tshirt. But, is merino too warm for summer? JFY, I live in Italy, more 35°C on summer time

Forget about Merino in summer unless you have a "cold body" type.
Summertime in Italy there's no alternative to
A- avoid cycling mid day/afternoon
B- coolmax or similar fabrics

Btw, Swrve does (actually, did) some really nice "modal" polo shirts that look very smart and work fantastic (dry quick and don't smell)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I sometimes wear golf trousers if I am going out to eat or something. They look good, are generally shower proof & fast drying, and designed to move in. They don't always have a high enough waist at the back, but I do well with the ones that have some elastic in the waist.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
slowster

Post by slowster »

coolmax or similar fabrics

At 35°C I would find pretty much any synthetic fabric to be much less pleasant to wear against the skin than natural fibres, even 'Coolmax' which is still just polyester. I've no personal experience of wearing merino wool in such weather, but I think the likes of Icebreaker do make some very fine knit merino wool t-shirts which are intended for hot weather use (I also vaguely recall reading that the Queen's dressmakers used wool for the dresses she wore when visting very hot countries, because of its superior breathability, although the type of weave and weight of fabric and how the garments were structured were also probably very important, and I think the same can be true for wool suits for men, e.g. using fresco wool cloth which has a very open weave).

Serbring, if you live in Italy, I would suggest you look and see what other stylish cyclists in your town and on the internet in Italy are wearing. Frankly, if I needed to look smart/stylish and ride a bike for 10km in 35°C heat, then I would be considering some chino type trousers (cotton, with possibly some lycra added for a bit of stretch ideally, and preferably not expensive given the greater wear and tear they would suffer on the saddle). With that I would wear something like a cotton (or yes, merino) polo shirt with an open knit (e.g. pique), or if you need to be smarter then a long sleeve 100% cotton work shirt, with possibly a string/mesh cotton vest underneath. You can roll the sleeves up when cycling, and if you can find a jacket that you can put in a pannier or saddlebag without creasing (like some high twist wools or synthetics), you can put that on when you arrive if the building is air conditioned.

The other thing I would do is cycle slowly, and get to my destination 10 minutes early and have un caffè while I cooled down.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I've one or two Corinne Dennis items. They aim to have clothes eminently suitable for cycling, but don't look like cycling specific. Mine are very comfortable. http://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

http://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/longs

Corinne Dennis do stuff that is not obviously cycle kit.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

http://www.preposity.com/2012/05/tweed-run-may-2012/

If seeking a more casual appearance, loosen (or lose) the tie. :wink:
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

I find lightweight merino works fine for me in summer; even if it gets a bit sweaty, it dries quickly, and doesn't pong. The main issue I have is that 100% merino can be a bit fragile and develop holes, but I prefer the feel of it to polyester blends. I used to buy the Vulpine gear, but not sure if they're going to continue to produce stuff after the bankruptcy sale; currently I like the Rapha merino t-shirts and polos, which are almost reasonable if you buy them in the sales...
serbring

Post by serbring »

I will try to buy a merino t-shirt and in case, it will be too warm for italian summers, I will use it in the beginnig of the seasoj
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

A Rohan travel suit, and a cycle cap (I like Walz ones) and ankle-slappy to show everyone that you roll by bike.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
RickH

Post by RickH »

JakobW wrote: I used to buy the Vulpine gear, but not sure if they're going to continue to produce stuff after the bankruptcy sale

Vulpine were saved by Mango Bikes (link)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.