Transporting Bike - Roof/Towbar/Boot mounted

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Psamathe

Re: Transporting Bike - Roof/Towbar/Boot mounted

Post by Psamathe »

RickH wrote:Inside is usually my first choice. Does you rear seat have a split fold? Dropping the back only of the bigger side is usually enough.If you bike doesn't fit whole then taking the wheels off is usually enough, possibly only the front wheel. Taking both wheels off & putting the bike across the back seats or upside down in the back footwell will leave the boot free for the dog.

Nature of dog (Border Collie) means limited space with back seats up is not practical.

I'd not considered the muck thrown-up with the bike on the back.

As it's going to be very occasional use (I've not needed it for 4 years and only looking now because of the moving to provide live-in care for parents for some time) I'm not keen on spending more than necessary (but at the same time, don't like buying cheap rubbish that does not work well).

I had a chat with my garage (good capable garage I've been using for sometime) and apparently they do check the tow bracket each MOT and they agreed about the drag and leverage on the towball fitted ones but were not against them - they seemed to thing the towballs were up to the task.

When I have previously put the bike in the car (without dog and removing the front wheel) the mudguards seem very vulnerable.

I'm actually not too worried about increased petrol consumption as, being retired, I just drive slower - I'm virtually never in a rush and certainly wont be with a bike on the roof.

Re: Grand Fodo and number plate - I think I'll be OK as my number plate is on the bumper rather than up on the boot door. It's just a question on viewing the indicator from an angle and using a light board with it would be "challenging" (particularly with just one bike).

Many thanks for all the comments.

Ian
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Does you're car already have roof bars? If not, to use that Thule roof mounted rack you linked to you will need to buy bars as well and the correct foot pack for your car to be able to attach the bars to the roof. Last time I checked out the cost of fitting a roof mounted Thule rack to my Clio it came to about £240 and that was about 4 years ago.
If you are looking at Saris racks check out their website for compatibility with your car.
I gave up looking for a rack that was compatible with my car and now just put the back seats down and take off the front wheel. The bike fits in but only just.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

bogmyrtle wrote:Does you're car already have roof bars?....

Yes. I'd definitely be focusing on boot/towball mounts 'cos as you say roof bars are ludicrously expensive these days. Roof bars stay fitted all the time as used for kayak, timber, etc.

Ian
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cycling is great but it is not the only fruit
Maybe you could leave your bike at home, is there good walking where you will be staying?

Walked into town in the snow recently
Cycling is quick and easy, but walking got me agreeably tired (went a longer way through the park), +1
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Cycling is great but it is not the only fruit
Maybe you could leave your bike at home, is there good walking where you will be staying?

I agree. Used to do a lot of walking but arthritis in feet put an end to that. Wrong time of year to take the kayak.

Ian
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Is the kayak longer than the vehicle, does it overhang fore or aft, how heavy is it?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Is the kayak longer than the vehicle, does it overhang fore or aft, how heavy is it?

25 Kg. Overhangs the back but not the front.

Ian
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

If you take the wheels off and wrap it up in an old blanket, or use the Cycling UK bike bag, bike and dog should fit together in the back with the back seat down? You could secure the bike to one side, (mostly?) upright, so the dog still has plenty of floor space?

I've taken two bikes and a couple of dogs like that in a VW Golf. I know a Polo is smaller, but you have fewer dogs and bikes :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Vorpal wrote:If you take the wheels off and wrap it up in an old blanket, or use the Cycling UK bike bag, bike and dog should fit together in the back with the back seat down? You could secure the bike to one side, (mostly?) upright, so the dog still has plenty of floor space?

I've taken two bikes and a couple of dogs like that in a VW Golf. I know a Polo is smaller, but you have fewer dogs and bikes :)

Polo not a lot smaller.

I'll give it a go - but not I've not mentioned that I'll also have a fair amount of luggage (moving for an "undetermined time" - I'm only home at the moment because I've been relieved for a few weeks by another family member but after that I'm on my own for ...).

Sounds weird but I could get more gear in when I had the two Border Collies; but lost the leader of the two so now need more space for the one!

Ian
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Psamathe wrote:
Vorpal wrote:If you take the wheels off and wrap it up in an old blanket, or use the Cycling UK bike bag, bike and dog should fit together in the back with the back seat down? You could secure the bike to one side, (mostly?) upright, so the dog still has plenty of floor space?

Polo not a lot smaller.

I'll give it a go - but not I've not mentioned that I'll also have a fair amount of luggage (moving for an "undetermined time" - I'm only home at the moment because I've been relieved for a few weeks by another family member but after that I'm on my own for ...).

Sounds weird but I could get more gear in when I had the two Border Collies; but lost the leader of the two so now need more space for the one!

Ian

One dog bigger than two? Can you take the wheels off the dog, is she big, does she like to move around? :wink:
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I like roof mounted.
Bikes are out of the way and ready to ride. No impaired visibility.
Quickly mounted and secured.
I am strong enough to lift them without any problem.
They do wobble a bit but as long as everything is checked and done up right, nothing to worry about.
I have travelled many many thousands of trouble free miles with bikes so mounted. Had an old Polo once myself, carried three bikes on it ok.
One can lock them on quite easily with a cable lock.
No doors are blocked.

There is some whistley wind noise at speed though,and I guess fuel consumption is quite adversely affected.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian

One dog bigger than two? Can you take the wheels off the dog, is she big, does she like to move around? :wink:

Border Collie(s).

Ian
craigbroadbent

Post by craigbroadbent »

Regarding Saris rack in the picture
which I believe is the legal requirement
Yes you are right. Very unlikely to meet legal light requirements.
https://auxtail.com/regulations/
If it's a carbon bike try not to clamp the frame. Most manufacturer's recommend against it.
Extra cable always a good idea. One with a lock should be a deterrent as well.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

When I was looking after my parents I kept a bike at their house but I rarely had the time to go out on it.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

IMO having the bike on the out side of the car doesn't do them a lot of good - particularly on a roof rack in driving rain - not to mention the low entrance hazard - I've had couple of incidents like that in the past. These days bikes go in the car in bike bags.
In your case the suggestion of taking off the wheels and wrapping the bike in a blanket would seem the best option.