CyclingUK - New journey planner

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mjr

Re: CyclingUK - New journey planner

Post by mjr »

Chris Touring wrote:With reference to the Cycling UK journey planner, could I respectfully suggest that Cycling UK cease to use the underlying CycleStreets system?

You can, but you probably should suggest it to them directly by email or a form on the main website, rather than the forum. Let us know how it goes.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Cyclestreets offers three alternative routes chris. Have you tred them all?

I now mostly use cycletravel for cross country, but tend to use cyclestreets in towns/heavily built-up areas, where cycletravel can produce its own routing oddities.

On balance, to clarify, cycletravel is my general favourite, it's great.
Sweep
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Not too good (being polite here) on circular routes. Flag in the middle of a white screen isn't exactly a route. Even when I zoom in to get a map, it's still just a flag and no route - think I will stick with the one I use 'cycle.travel' which is much more intelligent allowing me to specify how long a route I would like, and it then provides options, which I can tailor on the fly

Hasn't heard of Paris either (except some small village in Yorkshire) - definitely staying with the one I use
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I hadn't heard of Cycle Travel. I've just asked for a sample route from Stourbridge to Buxton and it seems to think South Staffordshire (north of Wolverhampton) is Birmingham. In fact Birmingham is 10 miles east of the start. Very odd.