Opinions on Kickstands that bolt to the axle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Si

Re: Opinions on Kickstands that bolt to the axle

Post by Si »

Id have thought a steering damper may help if your front wheel turns causing the bike to overbalance?

As for kickstands. Horses for courses .... some peoplemay find little benefit, whereas they are worth their weight in gold to some of us. Speaking as a professional cyclist (:lol:) they take a load of faff out of teaching bikeability.
paddler

Post by paddler »

Hi,

I'm a new poster here (I'll introduce myself in The Tea Room). A few years ago a I toured Mull for a few days with a friend. I was on a Univega Alpina mountain bike to which I had bolted a stand just behind the BB. The bike consistently fell over. Fast forward to now, and I'm retiring from working for a large telephone network company (no names no pack drill!) and I want to do more touring, but now on a Genesis Croix De Fer 20. Having read into it here and elsewhere I was loathe to bolt a stand on to this bike so looked for other options. Obviously, I prefer a stand rather just leaning it against a wall.

Anyway, I came across the Clickstand and liked the idea but thought it was expensive so looked into making one using Dac tent poles. Couldn't get any joy from online stores so in the end I thought I'd treat myself as I was retiring so ordered one. All in, it was delivered for £55 - very expensive. Initial thoughts having only tried it in the garage is that it is rock solid but will be a bit of a faff to use, not the sort of thing for a quick dash into a shop. Good quality though.

So I think the idea is good but probably better to be a bit more patient than I was and make one.

Dave
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

paddler wrote:Initial thoughts having only tried it in the garage is that it is rock solid but will be a bit of a faff to use, not the sort of thing for a quick dash into a shop. Good quality though.

That's exactly what I was thinking. As a stand it seems to work well, but I could not be bothered with taking it out and putting it away again. I want something that is always at the ready.

Having done a lot of research on this, I think I will go for an axle mount stand and then a front stand which connects to the front rack. That setup should be stable enough.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Mine too. Several friends use the Clickstand and speak highly of it but to do what I wanted a stand for - propping the bike up while popping into a shop, "inspecting a hedge", and similar situations where you're only going to be off the bike for a minute but lying a heavily laden bike down and picking it up again is not what you want to do - it didn't seem practical. And it's very expensive.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

I never got on with chainstay mounted kickstands, even the double legged variety. They tended to act as a pivot for my heavily loaded bike and it would fall over with even the smallest gust of wind. And if it wasn't windy my handlebars would unbalance my bike and it would fall over anyway.

I use a Hebie 611 (http://www.hebie.de/en/parking/rear-stands/fox/611/) now and it's fantastic. The rear axle mount is much more stable when riding with panniers and my bike has not fallen over since. I would definitely recommend this style of stand over a chainstay mounted one.

As an aside: it's interesting that Brits tend to find kickstands an unnecessary faff, and bikes sold here rarely have a dedicated kickstand mount. Compare this with Germany where I regularly see tourers with mounts in the chainstay near to the rear axle where a stand can be mounted.
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

bohrsatom wrote:
I use a Hebie 611 (http://www.hebie.de/en/parking/rear-stands/fox/611/) now and it's fantastic. The rear axle mount is much more stable when riding with panniers and my bike has not fallen over since. I would definitely recommend this style of stand over a chainstay mounted one.

The Hebie 611 does not look like it is axle mounted? Do you have the right number?