Is this a Mercian?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Vetus Ossa

Re: Is this a Mercian?

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Not sure about the top tube cable stops either?
Beauty will save the world.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Memory fading for a timeline here but I fancy that brazed-on fork-mounted lamp bosses suggest 1968, rather than 1986, ditto cables along the top of the top tubes. That would also fit in with 5 speed OLN spacing. OTOH, I think what looks like under the bottom bracket cable run was introduced later. Do you know that that is on the offside seat stay? Something to mount a rear lamp?

It's possible that it's had more work done than a respray. As well as being "famous for our finishes" EB always offered replacement of tubes etc. It would almost have been possible to end up with a sort of Trigger's Broom frame. That's not a criticism. If somebody had a nice frame and it was damaged, repair by experts like EB would be an excellent option. Ditto modification with changing equipment over the years.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

there seems to be something weird going on with the shape of the top eyes; this is either a distinctive feature that will enable you to identify the frame, or the seat cluster has been repaired and the top eyes have been reshaped as part of the repair.

Looking at it the latter seems quite likely; the way the seat lug has been fitted brazed and filed looks rather different to the way the front end of the frame has been done; I'd describe the way the head lugs have been done as 'quite classy' and the seat lug considerably less so.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

The brazed-on rear brake hanger / cable stop has a rectangular X-section. On my 1987 Mercian it is round.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Vetus Ossa wrote:Not sure about the top tube cable stops either?

ian peacock wrote:... I have brazed on the cable stops ...

LollyKat wrote:The brazed-on rear brake hanger / cable stop has a rectangular X-section. On my 1987 Mercian it is round.

ian peacock wrote:... I have brazed on the ... centre-pull cable hanger ...
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Mick F wrote:The seat tube lugs don't look like Mercian.

My sentiment entirely Mick.

I know quite a few Mercians of up to 50 years vintage, and none of them have seat-tube cap profiles like that.

Of course, it's only a very small sample, and one can never be absolutely sure, but........................