£800 bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
newtotouring
Posts: 35
Joined: 7 Jan 2014, 7:49pm

£800 bike

Postby newtotouring » 7 Feb 2018, 3:03pm

Hi

I have £800 to spend on a new bike. It'll be used mostly for commuting and weekend rides and for a few days touring each year.

I have been thinking of a Croix de Fer 10 or something similar. Any helpful views/reviews of other folk's similar bikes would be most welcome to help me decide.

Thanks

Brucey
Posts: 42316
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: £800 bike

Postby Brucey » 7 Feb 2018, 3:50pm

I'm sure it is a nice bike but there are lots of alternatives. It struck me that the ridgeback touring bikes seemed like good value recently; pretty competent as they come and with specs that are worth upgrading over time. BTW Madison own both Ridgeback and Genesis brands.

Ridgeback voyage here

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s21p3200/RIDGEBACK-Voyage

cracking value at £750 IMHO,

and from the same place if you spring for another couple of hundred quid you can get spa cycles own touring bike which is a really nice machine, that comes with a proper (Tubus cargo) rear rack. Worth a day out if only because you are likely to come away better informed and with a very good idea of what size bike will really fit you.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

User avatar
Si
Moderator
Posts: 15177
Joined: 5 Jan 2007, 7:37pm

Re: £800 bike

Postby Si » 7 Feb 2018, 3:56pm

Hi,

CdF10s are generally reckoned to be a good no-nonsense bike capable of several different roles. Not the fastest bike on the planet thanks to steel frame and disc brakes, but comfortable, reliable, and robust. I'd certainly have one if I was looking.

There's the marin 4 corners...very similar to the CdF but a bit more upright and robust.

You might also consider something like the Evans Pinacle Arkrose (or however you spell it, and if they still do one at this price). Again, a good jack of many trades at a reasonable price. Although this one is Alu so lighter but some will say that steel is stronger/more comfortable (that's an argument for a different thread!).

If you want something a bit cheaper than look at the touring bikes that people like dawes do without disc brakes, e.g. low end dawes galaxy, or ridgeback Tour ; for what you describe you don't really need disc brakes, although good disc brakes do make me feel more assured in the really bad weather.

Whatever you go for make sure that you can have a proper test ride and that you get one that you feel comfortable on!

Bonefishblues
Posts: 8723
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: £800 bike

Postby Bonefishblues » 7 Feb 2018, 4:02pm

The Kona Rove is a slightly cheaper alternative to the CdF 10. (Or a significantly more expensive one, depending on model, of course...)

ETA
And if you found a pound or several more, then Evans have just launched a new en vogue gravel/road bike:

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-py ... e-EV306269

But of course someone (amongst many) got there first, arguably:

https://www.alpkit.com/sonder/sonder-camino-alloy

whoof
Posts: 2519
Joined: 29 Apr 2014, 2:13pm

Re: £800 bike

Postby whoof » 7 Feb 2018, 4:27pm

If you are small you can get one from £630
https://www.biketart.com/bikes-c1/cyclo ... gJDnfD_BwE

You might also want to consider a Verenti Substance from Wiggle it has the possibility of a slightly lower gearing as it has a 32 t inner chain-ring rather than the Genesis's 34t which might be useful if touring. I know the Genesis has a 34 t cassette and the Verenti a 32 t but the cassette is easier to change at a later date.
£490 with Sora
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-substan ... -navy-52c/
and
£545 with Tiagra
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-substan ... ike-green/
Wiggle also do the Ride to Work schem on sale bikes.

newtotouring
Posts: 35
Joined: 7 Jan 2014, 7:49pm

Re: £800 bike

Postby newtotouring » 7 Feb 2018, 4:49pm

Brilliant. Thanks for the suggestions and if anyone has anymore to contribute please keep the ideas coming. Looks like I have plenty of research to do!

newtotouring
Posts: 35
Joined: 7 Jan 2014, 7:49pm

Re: £800 bike

Postby newtotouring » 7 Feb 2018, 4:50pm

Has anyone got a Verenti Substance? I've read varying reports on them so wasn't sure what to make of them.

Username
Posts: 289
Joined: 21 Dec 2016, 12:46am

Re: £800 bike

Postby Username » 7 Feb 2018, 11:53pm

Brucey wrote:I'm sure it is a nice bike but there are lots of alternatives. It struck me that the ridgeback touring bikes seemed like good value recently; pretty competent as they come and with specs that are worth upgrading over time. BTW Madison own both Ridgeback and Genesis brands.

Ridgeback voyage here

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s21p3200/RIDGEBACK-Voyage

cracking value at £750 IMHO,

and from the same place if you spring for another couple of hundred quid you can get spa cycles own touring bike which is a really nice machine, that comes with a proper (Tubus cargo) rear rack. Worth a day out if only because you are likely to come away better informed and with a very good idea of what size bike will really fit you.

cheers


In other words "a bit rubbish". If it was good then there'd be nowt to upgrade. :P

Brucey
Posts: 42316
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: £800 bike

Postby Brucey » 8 Feb 2018, 12:56am

Username wrote:
In other words "a bit rubbish". If it was good then there'd be nowt to upgrade. :P


I think you are missing the point. Stuff wears out and gets replaced as time goes on. There are few well-used bikes that are ten or fifteen years old that have even half of their original parts remaining. You have a choice about what you buy as replacements for these parts that wear out.

If you start with a POS machine then it really doesn't make sense to add best quality parts; the bike will still be rubbish regardless. For example I saw an inexpensive Raleigh road bike the other day which had been fitted with a Dura-Ace chainset; this chainset was worth more than the rest of the bike put together and it would not have made the slightest difference to the way the bike worked, it would still have been rubbish. In fact you could have fitted an entire DA groupset and the bike would still have been junk because the frame and fork were just not particularly good. That is a good example of a bike that isn't worth upgrading as time goes on.

However if you have a bike that is of adequate quality to start with then as bits wear out you can spend a bit more and it isn't so horribly out of place. The ridgeback voyage is a good case in point; it is all very competent and there is nothing on it that I would turn my nose up at, with the possible exception of the rear rack; if I intended to carry a hefty load I'd probably want something better. However as bits wear out then I'd happily fit slightly better parts and it wouldn't be a waste of money; for example if the rear mech got trashed then I'd happily fit an XT one or something and it wouldn't be out of place.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

djnotts
Posts: 1847
Joined: 26 May 2008, 12:51pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: £800 bike

Postby djnotts » 8 Feb 2018, 9:24am

For that money you could with a little patience buy a really good used machine. Just an example from this very Forum

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=120024

Not mine!

John_S
Posts: 381
Joined: 16 Sep 2014, 10:34pm

Re: £800 bike

Postby John_S » 8 Feb 2018, 10:27pm

Hi newtotouring,

In addition to all of the advice, tips and bike suggestions that have been posted above I'd also try to get along to as many local bikes shops as possible and try to get some test rides on as many different bikes as possible to see what works for you. There are limitations to this such as whether a test ride is long enough to give you an idea of what it'll be like to ride all day long or what a bike would be like from a handling perspective when loaded up with the commuting or touring gear that you plan to use. However getting test rides on as many different bikes as possible can't do any harm.

Following on from the recommendations from Brucey above if you're anywhere near Harrogate then getting along to Spa Cycles would be a great idea to see what they have, get some advice and take some test rides.

I wasn't sure where in the country you are but if you're not near Harrogate and were anywhere near Cambridge then perhaps Chris Bikes might be worth a visit because they do some bikes that are good for commuting and touring such as the vsf fahrradmanufaktur bikes. Or Townsends Light Blue Cycle Centre do Light Blue Bikes are well as having some other brands such as Surly and maybe something from their ranges might suit you.

If you get to some LBS you might find something from a 2017 range or an ex demo or ex display bike which might bring some bikes that you'd not previously considered within your budget.

Good luck searching for the right bike for you!

John

JohnW
Posts: 6448
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: £800 bike

Postby JohnW » 8 Feb 2018, 11:25pm

I know that, at £985, the Spa steel tourer is out of budget, but for me - and for many reasons - that would be my choice. Workmanlike, dependable, robust, serviceable and whilst it does look good, no pointless fancy frippery. Several of my cycling colleagues have them without issues. Spa have made slight alterations of specification for some - to suit them.

Each to their own though.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 14917
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: £800 bike

Postby Cyril Haearn » 9 Feb 2018, 9:24am

Username wrote:
Brucey wrote:I'm sure it is a nice bike but there are lots of alternatives. It struck me that the ridgeback touring bikes seemed like good value recently; pretty competent as they come and with specs that are worth upgrading over time. BTW Madison own both Ridgeback and Genesis brands.

Ridgeback voyage here

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s21p3200/RIDGEBACK-Voyage

cracking value at £750 IMHO,

and from the same place if you spring for another couple of hundred quid you can get spa cycles own touring bike which is a really nice machine, that comes with a proper (Tubus cargo) rear rack. Worth a day out if only because you are likely to come away better informed and with a very good idea of what size bike will really fit you.

cheers


In other words "a bit rubbish". If it was good then there'd be nowt to upgrade. :P

Nothing is so good that it can not be made better
Nothing is so bad that it can not be made worse
Welsh saying
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

newtotouring
Posts: 35
Joined: 7 Jan 2014, 7:49pm

Re: £800 bike

Postby newtotouring » 9 Feb 2018, 12:59pm

Thanks again to everyone for their contributions.

I like the look of that Ridgeback Voyage, nice low gearing.

Does anyone know what the biggest tyre you could get on there is?

Would 35mm fit?

Thanks again.

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 18667
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: £800 bike

Postby Vorpal » 9 Feb 2018, 1:03pm

djnotts wrote:For that money you could with a little patience buy a really good used machine.


The last time I spent that kind of money on a bike, that's exactly what I did.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom