best anti theft QR product?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
[XAP]Bob

Re: best anti theft QR product?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Is it just me or are QR and security not opposing targets?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Psamathe wrote:
Sweep wrote:.....
F. Am tempted to buy a lock n roll as that doesn't need a tool.

I suspect I'm weird but I don't like turning my bike upside down (onto saddle and bars). Probably because in the past I've ruined a cycle computer bar mount, and scratched up bits that were not designed to be on e.g. a concrete surface.

Ian

My bars are all flat so no problem unless I am really daft. All have bar ends which protects any mounts etc left on the bike.
Sweep
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

tommydog wrote:
simonhill wrote:Interesting point about the vulnerability of the key. When long haul touring, I like things that I can get fixed. The loss of a (the?) key would be a bit worrying.

That logic applies to any lock. What about the key to your bicycle lock, the key to your car, your locking wheel nut keys on the car?

These things can be removed without the key, it just takes a little more effort. You may as well say what happens if you lost your spanner / hex key to undo the wheel nuts? You would find someone with the tools to help you out.

I use a combination lock when touring to avoid possibility of key loss,
I don't have locking wheelnuts.
I used to keep a spare key hidden in my vehicle. Now the insurance company say Ican;t do this, so I would call out their breakdown if Ilost my keys away from home.
Lost spanners or Allen keys,go to shop and buy.

Its all in the plan.
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

What do people think of gravity lock products, such as Abus nut fix or Kryptonite wheelnutz? To unlock them you simply turn the bike on its side (Abus) or upside down (Kryptonite)

I have not seen any in person, but are these products not vulnerable to vigorous shaking or even a strong magnet to pull the internal locking spline into place?
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

tommydog wrote:
andrew_s wrote:
De Sisti wrote:Not anti theft QR (Quick release), but what about Helox?

That's what I use.
I don't suppose it's any better than the competitors, or won't be once the tea leaves get the hang of it, as I suppose they will in the end, but there's minimum inconvenience to me, with the inserts at 1g or so each, and the key taking up virtually no keyring space and thus living on the same keyring as the front door key.

I have to say that from my research Hexlox seems to get the most favourable reviews. I am very tempted to order one, unless people think there is anything better?

So, after a bit over 18 months, I've found why Hexlox provide a weather cover for their wheel skewers.

I hadn't bothered to use them, on the grounds that it was another tiny and loose item to keep track of when changing tubes in the dark, and they would probably get lost fairly quickly.
It turns out that if you don't use them, enough mud/grit/dust gets on the inner bits of the Hexlox insert that repeated use of the key erodes the red coating on the central cone of the insert, and without the coating the key won't pull out the insert.

Fortunately, it was just the rear wheel skewer that was affected, and I discovered it whilst swapping out the winter tyres at home, rather than out on the road.
I also discovered how to get the insert out without the key.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

tommydog wrote:I have been researching ways to secure Quick release wheels and am aware there are a number of products on the market. Problem is I don't see any objective testing of these products (unlike bicycle locks) What products do people think are the best? I have seen gravity style locks defeated and pinhead, both with relative ease.

The products that tend to get the most favourable reviews are Pitlock and Hexlox. What do people think of these and do they have a preference? Are there any other products that people like? Previously Atomic22 had good reviews, but it seems they are no longer in business.

There are a few alarming YT vids showing "ex bike thieves" easily defeating Pinhead secured skewers. One guy gets one off in less than 30 seconds.

I use Pitlock skewers as I consider them the most secure skewers, but only on my bike's Rohloff hub at the moment. They have a unique asymmetric shaped nut with a deep metal shroud to prevent tampering. I haven't seen any YT vids of them being easily defeated. I also have a DataTool tracker on my bike. I have several Abus Granit X Plus D locks. I also have a secure bike locker to store my bike in town whilst working/shopping.

HTH.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Ivor Tingting wrote:
tommydog wrote:I have been researching ways to secure Quick release wheels and am aware there are a number of products on the market. Problem is I don't see any objective testing of these products (unlike bicycle locks) What products do people think are the best? I have seen gravity style locks defeated and pinhead, both with relative ease.

The products that tend to get the most favourable reviews are Pitlock and Hexlox. What do people think of these and do they have a preference? Are there any other products that people like? Previously Atomic22 had good reviews, but it seems they are no longer in business.

There are a few alarming YT vids showing "ex bike thieves" easily defeating Pinhead secured skewers. One guy gets one off in less than 30 seconds.

I use Pitlock skewers as I consider them the most secure skewers, but only on my bike's Rohloff hub at the moment. They have a unique asymmetric shaped nut with a deep metal shroud to prevent tampering. I haven't seen any YT vids of them being easily defeated. I also have a DataTool tracker on my bike. I have several Abus Granite X Plus D locks. I also have a secure bike locker to store my bike in town whilst working/shopping.

HTH.

I have Pitlocks - had them for @ 15 years and on a couple of occasions i've misplaced the key. And even installed the nut the wrong way so the key doesn't fit! There is a technique whereby you can undo without the key although I think a thief would probably not want to take the time.
TBH I don't have them installed very often using instead some form of hex/torx headed system instead. These offer a deterrent to opportunist thieves, determined thieves won't be stopped by anything!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I also have a set of pitloks but haven't dared use them since my key dropped out of my bag mid ride. Was really worried for the rest of the ride about getting a flat. As i now only have one key am worried about using them until I manage to get a spare.

Am confident that they are pretty thief proof but am concerned that they are overkill.

Seem to remember pitlock saying that the washers needed to be replaced every so often which seemed a fag and expense for something not too common, but maybe they were being over cautious?
Sweep
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

Sweep wrote:I also have a set of pitloks but haven't dared use them since my key dropped out of my bag mid ride. Was really worried for the rest of the ride about getting a flat. As i now only have one key am worried about using them until I manage to get a spare.

Am confident that they are pretty thief proof but am concerned that they are overkill.

Seem to remember pitlock saying that the washers needed to be replaced every so often which seemed a fag and expense for something not too common, but maybe they were being over cautious?

But it's not a key to tighten or undo the nut, but a female nut. Mine is on my key ring with my other keys. You can get replacement key nuts from Pitlock anyway. I suppose if you were really stuck you could cut the skewer off using a plasma cutting disc. I've never had a problem with the washers in 3 years. Mine is undone once or twice a year for adjusting the chain and for a deep clean of my bike.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Ivor Tingting wrote:
Sweep wrote:Mine is on my key ring with my other keys.e.

More sensible than me for sure :)
Must get around to getting a spare key.
Sweep
PH

Post by PH »

foxyrider wrote: These offer a deterrent to opportunist thieves, determined thieves won't be stopped by anything!

I think that's the best that can be said for any lock, depends on how determined and how knowledgeable of course. I had a bike that was probably locked well enough to defeat some casual thieves, so they kicked it to scrap instead.
I used to use Pitlocks but had one unscrew half a turn on the dome side, couldn't get it off at the roadside but once home with tools it was easy enough. I now use the hex type which would be easier to remove without the key, but it's a simple deterrent and with four sets I'm not short of keys.