best anti theft QR product?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
[XAP]Bob

Re: best anti theft QR product?

Postby [XAP]Bob » 11 Feb 2018, 2:59pm

Is it just me or are QR and security not opposing targets?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 11 Feb 2018, 3:00pm

Psamathe wrote:
Sweep wrote:.....
F. Am tempted to buy a lock n roll as that doesn't need a tool.

I suspect I'm weird but I don't like turning my bike upside down (onto saddle and bars). Probably because in the past I've ruined a cycle computer bar mount, and scratched up bits that were not designed to be on e.g. a concrete surface.

Ian

My bars are all flat so no problem unless I am really daft. All have bar ends which protects any mounts etc left on the bike.
Sweep

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 12 Feb 2018, 2:05pm

tommydog wrote:
simonhill wrote:Interesting point about the vulnerability of the key. When long haul touring, I like things that I can get fixed. The loss of a (the?) key would be a bit worrying.

That logic applies to any lock. What about the key to your bicycle lock, the key to your car, your locking wheel nut keys on the car?

These things can be removed without the key, it just takes a little more effort. You may as well say what happens if you lost your spanner / hex key to undo the wheel nuts? You would find someone with the tools to help you out.

I use a combination lock when touring to avoid possibility of key loss,
I don't have locking wheelnuts.
I used to keep a spare key hidden in my vehicle. Now the insurance company say Ican;t do this, so I would call out their breakdown if Ilost my keys away from home.
Lost spanners or Allen keys,go to shop and buy.

Its all in the plan.

tommydog

Postby tommydog » 21 Feb 2018, 1:57pm

What do people think of gravity lock products, such as Abus nut fix or Kryptonite wheelnutz? To unlock them you simply turn the bike on its side (Abus) or upside down (Kryptonite)

I have not seen any in person, but are these products not vulnerable to vigorous shaking or even a strong magnet to pull the internal locking spline into place?