Second-hand bikes???

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
AlanPickworth

Second-hand bikes???

Post by AlanPickworth »

What do we think about buying second-hand bikes? I'm always amazed at how quickly bike prices drop off after the first 1-3 years and feel like it's easy to get a great deal going second-hand. However I know that it's not a thing that many road cyclists do... thoughts?

Would you buy second hand? If yes, where do you recommend looking? If no, why no?
Spinners

Re: Second-hand bikes???

Post by Spinners »

My last nine bikes (spread over nine years) have been;

New Hybrid (Halfords) This got me back into cycling after a few years away.
New Road Bike (Halfords)
2nd Hand Road Bike (eBay)
2nd Hand Gravel Bike (eBay)
New Hybrid (Giant Concept Store)
2nd Hand Road Bike (Gumtree)*
2nd Hand Hybrid (Gumtree)
2nd Hand MTB (Gumtree)
New Road Bike (Wiggle)

* An odd one this as it was technically 2nd Hand but was completely new and unused and just 40% of the new price.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Darn good idea. Would not buy new if used did the job. Prices are usually good and problems shouldn't exist if you know how a bike is put together. Buying a stolen one should be an issue either, just check a bit.
SmilerGB

Post by SmilerGB »

Having a good working knowledge of bike repair/maintenance makes buying a second hand bike easier & less daunting.

I bought my cyclocross second hand as wanted it as a winter trainer & commuter but I completely stripped & rebuilt it before taking it out on a ride.

I think sometimes lack of knowledge forces most to buy new, well that & personal preference.
The bicycle is a simple solution to some of the world's most complicated problems.
whoof

Post by whoof »

This year I've bought a Dahon folding bike for £60 from ebay and a Surly lht for £500 from gumtree. My biggest concern was not buying anything that was stolen. Both buyers appeared genuine so I was happy with both purchases.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Forgot to say I've been looking for a Surly for about two years. Many people won't or can't wait this long. If no one bought new there would be no second hand.
SmilerGB

Post by SmilerGB »

I register all mine on the bike register, it helps not only on getting your bike retuned in the event it stolen & for sales as it gives you a log book for the bike as proof of ownership.

https://www.bikeregister.com
The bicycle is a simple solution to some of the world's most complicated problems.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Having probably had about 30 bikes over quite a lot of years I've only ever bought one complete new bike (a Specialized) and a new Van Nic f&f to build myself - everything else has been from friends, ebay or cycling fora.

BUT they have all been "metal" - I wouldn't buy used carbon machinery

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Many people on these fora have too many bikes, many older bikes are very sought after (Gillott, and Mercian, Bob Jackson..)
Just like cars, the newest ones may not be as good as the ones made a few years ago
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Many people on these fora have too many bikes, many older bikes are very sought after (Gillott, and Mercian, Bob Jackson..)
Just like cars, the newest ones may not be as good as the ones made a few years ago

I really wonder whether that is true? a bike is just a frame and the accessories? The accessories have improved in quality so that leaves just the frame? are modern frames worse than those of yesteryear? Doubt it. That just leaves nostalgia and people with too much money who want the kudos of riding an antique :idea:
whoof

Post by whoof »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Just like cars, the newest ones may not be as good as the ones made a few years ago

Old cars are terrible, unreliable and inefficient. Everyone I know who has one keeps it's garaged and doesn't drive it in the wet for fear of it rusting and spend as long tinkering (repairing) them as they do driving them.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

whoof wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Just like cars, the newest ones may not be as good as the ones made a few years ago

Old cars are terrible, unreliable and inefficient. Everyone I know who has one keeps it's garaged and doesn't drive it in the wet for fear of it rusting and spend as long tinkering (repairing) them as they do driving them.

Mine is 21 years old, has never let me down but it was worse than its predecessor, it has power steering, :( completely unnecessary, uses energy, can break down
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies