Trim for chrome sections of frame

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
David9694

Trim for chrome sections of frame

Post by David9694 »

I’ve taken delivery of a Viner frame with a chrome r/h chain stay, chrome dropouts and fork blade shoulder. Both main sections are bounded by a contrasting strip of what looks like a sort of tape or maybe decal - but it’s thicker than decal film.

Does anyone know where I can get this stuff, or what to ask for?
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
AndyA

Re: Trim for chrome sections of frame

Post by AndyA »

Sometimes this is done with paint, a pinstriping brush and a steady hand. The classic combo is a Mack brush and "One-shot" paint. Almost all frame painters do this at the edges of contrasting panels. The same materials are used for luglining.
You can get it from singwriter's, I think I got mine from Handovers.co.uk
It might also be pinstripe tape.
Any pics?
David9694

Post by David9694 »

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Vintage-Italian ... 2092071810

I haven’t figured out posting photos on here yet, but a previous owner’s EBay entry is still up with a nice set of pictures. I’ve got some replacement decals from Velocals now, but the bit I’m stuck on is the yellow/black trim at the edges of the chrome bits.

I’ve not found an identical model either - the chroming and paint colour probably got tweaked every year and a lot of info now seems lost in the mists of time.

The trim does seem to be some kind of coloured tape, but I’ve not found it for sale anywhere. I’ve got a reel of 1mm pinstripe tape which is a functional light green, but it’s too spongey to be a permanent thing, even if I lacquered it over.

I think the frame material is Columbus SL, btw.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

Aye, definitely some kind of transfer/decal, not paint. I'd ask H Lloyds if they could make a replacement, they're usually very obliging with this sort of thing.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Car accessory shop.....an example (lots of colours/widths etc out there)

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/PIN-STRIPE-Appr ... Sw5cNYaTLP

Browse around whatever category the link is in.
David9694

Post by David9694 »

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/2mm-Mini-Twin-W ... SwUd9ah3Ek

Maybe rhis one will be worth a pipunt. Thanks.