views on carrying a spare Chainring, Rohloff sprocket and spare chain?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
tommydog
Posts: 160
Joined: 11 Feb 2017, 6:48pm

views on carrying a spare Chainring, Rohloff sprocket and spare chain?

Postby tommydog » 13 Feb 2018, 12:45pm

When touring outside Europe / America is it advisable to carry a spare chainring (42t) Rohloff sprocket (16t) and spare chain?

In remote corners of the world, I would have thought a Rohloff sprocket is very hard to come by and should be carried, but what about a replacement chainring and chain of decent quality? I use the word decent quality, as I can't imagine good quality stuff is easy to come by in many developing or remote corners of the world. So for piece of mind is it a good idea to carry a spare chainring and chain? It's not as though the weight would be crippling.

Brucey
Posts: 30388
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: views on carrying a spare Chainring, Rohloff sprocket and spare chain?

Postby Brucey » 13 Feb 2018, 2:05pm

most 'first world' stuff can be with you in a few days if necessary, by post. Any chain (pretty much) can be used on 3/32" chainrings and sprockets, and it is highly unlikely that the chainring will end up totally unserviceable without any warning. Thus I'd carry a spare sprocket (maybe, mostly for gearing options) and a few links of spare chain and a few QLs (definitely), rather than the whole shooting match.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tommydog
Posts: 160
Joined: 11 Feb 2017, 6:48pm

Re: views on carrying a spare Chainring, Rohloff sprocket and spare chain?

Postby tommydog » 13 Feb 2018, 2:30pm

Brucey wrote:most 'first world' stuff can be with you in a few days if necessary, by post.
cheers


Yes but you have the added cost and waiting time / inconvenience. For very little extra weight you could carry these spare and be back on the road immediately. When cycling trails in the past I have damaged chainrings. Also if you are doing an extended tour, you will want to replace components at the proper service intervals. I would not be so confident of buying quality replacements in developing countries. You may even be able to bolt the spare chainring onto the bike somehow, so it does not even take up space in your luggage.

pwa
Posts: 7612
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: views on carrying a spare Chainring, Rohloff sprocket and spare chain?

Postby pwa » 13 Feb 2018, 2:39pm

tommydog wrote:
Brucey wrote:most 'first world' stuff can be with you in a few days if necessary, by post.
cheers


Yes but you have the added cost and waiting time / inconvenience. For very little extra weight you could carry these spare and be back on the road immediately. When cycling trails in the past I have damaged chainrings. Also if you are doing an extended tour, you will want to replace components at the proper service intervals. I would not be so confident of buying quality replacements in developing countries. You may even be able to bolt the spare chainring onto the bike somehow, so it does not even take up space in your luggage.


Thorn's chainrings are intended to be flipped halfway through usage to give you double the life.

tommydog
Posts: 160
Joined: 11 Feb 2017, 6:48pm

Re: views on carrying a spare Chainring, Rohloff sprocket and spare chain?

Postby tommydog » 13 Feb 2018, 2:44pm

pwa wrote:
Thorn's chainrings are intended to be flipped halfway through usage to give you double the life.


Good point, but that still leaves open the possibility of damage.

User avatar
[XAP]Bob
Posts: 16523
Joined: 26 Sep 2008, 4:12pm

Re: views on carrying a spare Chainring, Rohloff sprocket and spare chain?

Postby [XAP]Bob » 13 Feb 2018, 2:50pm

tommydog wrote:
pwa wrote:
Thorn's chainrings are intended to be flipped halfway through usage to give you double the life.


Good point, but that still leaves open the possibility of damage.


It's got to be crippling damage though, not just the loss of a tooth or two
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

pwa
Posts: 7612
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: views on carrying a spare Chainring, Rohloff sprocket and spare chain?

Postby pwa » 13 Feb 2018, 3:06pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:
tommydog wrote:
pwa wrote:
Thorn's chainrings are intended to be flipped halfway through usage to give you double the life.


Good point, but that still leaves open the possibility of damage.


It's got to be crippling damage though, not just the loss of a tooth or two


And they look a good deal less fragile than normal chainrings.

Brucey
Posts: 30388
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: views on carrying a spare Chainring, Rohloff sprocket and spare chain?

Postby Brucey » 13 Feb 2018, 3:08pm

you could take spare parts for every conceivable circumstance, but you could (logically) end up taking most of another bike, perhaps.... :wink:

Damage to a chainring needs to be absolutely catastrophic to stop you from bodging/riding on an IGH drive. Bent, a few teeth missing etc, won't stop you. If you are using 130mm BCD chainrings these are available almost everywhere there are bicycles that are anything other than the most basic ones. Again using 1/8" chain means that you are more likely to be able to get a chainring that works. I don't think it is at all likely that you will be stuck twiddling your thumbs waiting for such parts to turn up.

For stuff that just wears out, lots of travellers have 'consumables spares kits' posted to them (about once every 5000 miles or so) at a point ahead on their route so that they are waiting for them by the time they get there. This way you can keep your steed in your favourite tyres and other bits and pieces without having to lug them around with you.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

geocycle
Posts: 1483
Joined: 11 Jan 2007, 9:46am

Re: views on carrying a spare Chainring, Rohloff sprocket and spare chain?

Postby geocycle » 13 Feb 2018, 4:42pm

Brucey wrote:you could take spare parts for every conceivable circumstance, but you could (logically) end up taking most of another bike, perhaps.... :wink:

Damage to a chainring needs to be absolutely catastrophic to stop you from bodging/riding on an IGH drive. Bent, a few teeth missing etc, won't stop you. If you are using 130mm BCD chainrings these are available almost everywhere there are bicycles that are anything other than the most basic ones. Again using 1/8" chain means that you are more likely to be able to get a chainring that works. I don't think it is at all likely that you will be stuck twiddling your thumbs waiting for such parts to turn up.

For stuff that just wears out, lots of travellers have 'consumables spares kits' posted to them (about once every 5000 miles or so) at a point ahead on their route so that they are waiting for them by the time they get there. This way you can keep your steed in your favourite tyres and other bits and pieces without having to lug them around with you.

cheers


I agree, you would expect a lot of miles out of a rohloff drive chain even over rough roads. I use approximately a 3, 2,1 ratio of chains to sprockets to chainrings. You can swap chain ring and sprocket around as well. If you are still concerned a chainglider might well be a good investment. if they fit your frame they can at least double longevity and would protect against impacts.

PH
Posts: 5830
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: views on carrying a spare Chainring, Rohloff sprocket and spare chain?

Postby PH » 13 Feb 2018, 5:03pm

tommydog wrote:that still leaves open the possibility of damage.

For reasons other than damage, I have a chainguard on my chainring, it would lessen any possibility of damaging it
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s149p23 ... bcd-38-42t

As said in the other thread, the Surly SS chainring will outlast the Thorn, it would be my first choice if available in the size I wanted.

tommydog
Posts: 160
Joined: 11 Feb 2017, 6:48pm

Re: views on carrying a spare Chainring, Rohloff sprocket and spare chain?

Postby tommydog » 13 Feb 2018, 7:36pm

PH wrote:the Surly SS chainring will outlast the Thorn, it would be my first choice if available in the size I wanted.


Can't seem to find one in 42T.

andrew_s
Posts: 4461
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 9:29pm
Location: Gloucestershire

Re: views on carrying a spare Chainring, Rohloff sprocket and spare chain?

Postby andrew_s » 14 Feb 2018, 10:50am

tommydog wrote:Can't seem to find one in 42T.

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/componen ... p986/s2979
available in 34,35,36,38,39,40,42,44,46,47,48,49,50 (they say)

tommydog
Posts: 160
Joined: 11 Feb 2017, 6:48pm

Re: views on carrying a spare Chainring, Rohloff sprocket and spare chain?

Postby tommydog » 14 Feb 2018, 11:55am

andrew_s wrote:https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/componen ... p986/s2979
available in 34,35,36,38,39,40,42,44,46,47,48,49,50 (they say)


Yes but I want the 4 arm version and not the 5 arm. Can't find 4 arm in 42T. Don't think they make it.

roberts8
Posts: 210
Joined: 20 May 2011, 9:14pm
Location: Surrey

Re: views on carrying a spare Chainring, Rohloff sprocket and spare chain?

Postby roberts8 » 14 Feb 2018, 8:15pm

Your tour is beyond my experience but I was wondering if it would be reasonable to forward on selective spares to various stops to cut down on weight but know for sure. If they were not needed they could be bounced on to the next big stop. This is just a thought and not based on personal experience.

Eric the Red
Posts: 24
Joined: 28 Dec 2007, 3:17pm

Re: views on carrying a spare Chainring, Rohloff sprocket and spare chain?

Postby Eric the Red » 15 Feb 2018, 8:27am

Chainring and sprocket? Much better to carry spare cables ready cut to length, and the tools to change them. :wink: