Ellis Briggs frame numbering

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
David F

Ellis Briggs frame numbering

Post by David F »

Just out of interest, I'd like to know the year my Ellis Briggs frame was made. I have the four numbers found on the underside of the bottom bracket, but I don't know how to interpret them. I have looked for a previous thread on this subject, but I didn't find anything so I'd be grateful for any information.
David F
uppadine

Re: Ellis Briggs frame numbering

Post by uppadine »

Me too - sorry to jump onto your thread here but my numbers baffle me. These are on a Favori with playing-card lugs in the inner fork, 6 speed

BL26LL58

Any answer to the first might also answer me: thank you!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

uppadine wrote: ... BL26LL58 .... -

That's the postcode for Somerton Road, Bolton ie BL2 6LL House no 58

I had a frame refurbished by EB and they stamped on the postcode + house number as a complimentary service
uppadine

Post by uppadine »

A revelation! Fascinating and unexpected, thanks. Any info on the top two numbers?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

uppadine wrote:A revelation! Fascinating and unexpected, thanks. Any info on the top two numbers?

I only know that EB used to offer to stamp on the postcode + house number (police practice to pin down the bike to an address rather than a street) because they did some work on a frame some years ago for me. Something along the lines of "You don't want to spend a lot of money getting your frame done up and let some police cadet loose with a hammer and punches." Also, their paint job is applied after the stamping.

This does illustrate a couple of weaknesses in the postcoding of bikes. If this one of your was nicked, and IF anybody recovered it and IF they realised that was a postcode, they would be contacting a former owner. My doubts about it not being recognised as a postcode are reinforced by your not knowing as the current owner.

I have no information about EB's system of numbering their frames.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I too would like to know more about frame numbers
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
daccordimark

Post by daccordimark »

Ellis Briggs frame numbers are sequential so there's nothing to indicate the year. I emailed them with the frame number on mine and they came back quickly with the date it was built. I already knew who it was built for but they confirmed that as well. Paul Gibson was very helpful and they did a great job on the frame.
Mark.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I didn't suggest contacting EB, parly because it's an obvious step, partly because I'd not want anybody to spend more time dealing with old frame numbers than selling new frames.

The company has moved, but not far and the good news is that unlike so many historic names in our sport, this is one that hasn't gone to the dogs. Here's the EB www

https://www.ellisbriggscycles.co.uk/