How to stop getting wet feet?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Stradageek

Re: How to stop getting wet feet?

Post by Stradageek »

Possibly not a very helpful comment but I've just twigged recently that in my nearly 15yrs as a recumbent rider I've never had wet feet.

I do however remember the misery of wet cold feet on my old uprights, I was one of the capes and long mudflaps brigade - both seriously non-aerodynamic solutions
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

Audax67 wrote:Vaude make calf-length waterproof gaiters. I have some but I haven't tried them: I usually use their neoprene overshoes. I bung up the cleat holes in the shoes with silicone, too - a lot comes up that way.

Re Sealskinz socks, the latest avatar thereof in my possession has tight grippy elastic round the top, which grips the calf tightly enough to cut a groove and impede blood circulation. I can't understand why socks made for cyclists and others who may be expected to have meaty calves are made to fit someone built like Twiggy*.

*for those who weren't around at the time or not paying attention: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twiggy

Totally agree re the Sealskinz. My calves are chunky to put it mildly, and I was fine with the Sealskins I bought years ago. The pair I bought fairly recently hardly get used because of the tourniquet-like tops. Should really have returned them :(
peetee

Post by peetee »

When I used to commute I would wear spats which I think were made by agusport. They are nylon shoe covers that reach up to mid calf level and zip up at the back. Tucked under a pair of waterproof leggings they totally eliminate water running down your legs and into your shoes. They were unobtrusive and totally efficient but as to whether they can still be found, from any manufacturer, I can't say.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
freiston

Post by freiston »

If I manage to get them on before I get too wet to make it pointless, I use Eager Spats with waterproof trousers over the top. Best in cooler weather when the sweat doesn't build up so much under the waterproof trousers and best when tootling along so as not to work up a sweat (though it can get a bit moist where the waterproof spat and the waterproof trouser leg overlap). A SKS longboard front mudguard helps too :)

Many years ago, a pvc/vinyl cape was my first choice as the breathability was second to none. I used to put the thumb loops over my brake levers/hoods so that I had free access to my down-tube shifters (and also to make it easier to knock out the pool of water collecting behind the handlebars) - this helped keep it in place when the wind picked up too. I used to have a lace tied to the back with a crocodile clip to keep the back anchored down (clipped to my rear rack or the luggage strapped to it). The biggest problem I found then with the cape was spray from the road/other vehicles catching my legs and feet (the Eager spats would have solved this). I can't imagine coping with a cape nowadays.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

You can also get gaiters (spats that also go up your legs). The long ones probably work better for keeping water out of shoes.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
peetee

Post by peetee »

Eager spats are the ones I meant and, yes, like gaiters they go most of the way up to you knee so there is no chance of front wheel spray forcing water up and under if worn within waterproof trousers.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Even longer are the Carradice spats, which go over the knee
https://www.carradice.co.uk/products/ra ... oute-spats
(intended for use under a cape, I think, and also in waxed cotton Duxback)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Stradageek wrote:Possibly not a very helpful comment but I've just twigged recently that in my nearly 15yrs as a recumbent rider I've never had wet feet.

I do however remember the misery of wet cold feet on my old uprights, I was one of the capes and long mudflaps brigade - both seriously non-aerodynamic solutions

I have, once. It was an extremely wet day, and my feet were wet but warm. Just soaked through the neoprene and down my socks...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.