Surrey Ride London and Classic

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
roberts8

Surrey Ride London and Classic

Post by roberts8 »

Just been informed that Surrey CC are considering whether to extend this event for another five years. Local residents groups are starting to petition the council to stop the event and the charity ride. I am a local, that is how I heard about it but I love the event and will be riding the 100 this year as it really is a festival day. We have until 26 February to express concerns and support which in my opinion is far greater than a very vocal group of local NIMBYs.
Not got a link as I always get these things wrong but it needs prompt action as there are quite a few anti cycling people around here.
Help please.
gaz

Re: Surrey Ride London and Classic

Post by gaz »

I've been looking around the Surrey CC website for any information without luck, similarly a general google search.

There's some historic petitions and counter petitions on the subject but without some form of link to either what is on the agenda of any relevant Surrey CC meeting, a public consultation, a current petition or even a local press article I'm a bit stuck.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

Gaz

I have sent you a pm. Never sent one before so please get back to me if it fails and I will send you the email from the residents group.
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

The email for comments at Surrey CC is given as events@surreycc.gov.uk hope this helps.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

it is closed for a few hours on Sunday, {FFE - family-friendly edit } got this here with Velo Birmingham which has now in effect been cancelled thanks to NIMBY's. Funny enough rode around there yesterday and can definitely see the attraction and the council too scared of a few loudmouths to do what is right
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Happy to post support on a petition or site or something similar, but composing and sending an e-mail about something I know little about - no - sorry.
gaz

Post by gaz »

roberts8 wrote:The email for comments at Surrey CC is given as events@surreycc.gov.uk hope this helps.

From the information roberts8 has sent me it appears that anti-event comments are being actively sought, cycling hordes blocking the roads, chaos across the county, etc.

IMO the best way to counter this would be positive comments about the event as a great day out, cash spent in local pubs and shops, subsequent return visits to the area, boost to tourism, brings money into the local economy, etc.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mjr

Post by mjr »

gaz wrote:IMO the best way to counter this would be positive comments about the event as a great day out, cash spent in local pubs and shops, subsequent return visits to the area, boost to tourism, brings money into the local economy, etc.

It would. I wish I had some but so far I've remained in London because it's too difficult to figure out what's going on in Surrey or even what safe cycle routes around the course remain open. If only they had a council that supported the event wholeheartedly...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

There were some hilarious comments from a ( small minority) of shouty NIMBYS, on the website I was linked to on another site. The ones that stuck in the memory were “I want a reduction in my council tax, and road tax, because these events ruin my whole life” and “I live in Westcott, and the cyclists wrecked my green”. Bless them :lol:
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

Gaz, glad you feel the same and my supporting comments have been posted. Our local park swings needed upgrading and SCC were not forthcoming so Ride London was approached and a very large donation was made. This sort of thing is ignored by the anti groups but they are very vocal and influential and determined to stop this event. More support the better and I have sent details to Cycling uk.
Si

Post by Si »

Well, at least it's still on. The Birmingham Velo has been binned off this year as they couldn't get the route sorted with various other Councils. In theory it's back next year....but who knows. Perhaps it'll just be laps of the outer ring road!

On the plus side, our City Ride (or whatever it's called these days) is getting bigger. Given the choice between the two (and we shouldn't have to choose) I think I would choose the City Ride as it's more accessible to regular, non-fit-cyclist people.
hemo

Post by hemo »

There are a few NIMBY's in Boxhill who bemoan the road closures for one day, I assume it is because it is something to moan about.