what bike to buy?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
malvandy

Re: what bike to buy?

Post by malvandy »

I agree with suggestions of sticking with your MTB for now. Get it serviced if you can't do it yourself. Getting a new bike is something you can aim for after shedding a few pounds. Then you can really hammer it on your new bike.
mozza4475

Post by mozza4475 »

Thanks all. Its given me abit to think about. So for now im just gone crack on with my mtb while i finish doing my research. Ive actually got a spare set of wheels set up with slicks on from when i used it for work.
Thanks again all.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

My brother was 22 stone, he rode an ordinary hybrid bike just fine, the local bike shop have guys who ride carbon bikes that are 18stone without issues.
I've ridden my Specialized globe fully loaded when I was 107kg AND had someone once a week for a few months having a croggy, all up load was 190-195kg (she had a heavy handbag too :lol: )
The wheels were very well used 32 spoke open pros on Ultegra so nothing overtly 'heavy duty'.
Additionally when I was at my max weight I used 24/20 spoked carbon wheels with 22mm tyres on my flimsy plastic bike and no issues at all, oh no, breaking all the rulez :lol:

Personally I'd just go out and buy whatever bike you like and just ride it, adjust the tyre pressures and consider getting wider tyres if they are very narrow because you're not racing and comfort is a factor, don't stress about having to buy a tourer or some other 'heavy duty' specific bike or special wheels to support you.

This comes up frequently and the same old rigid advice crops up. :roll: