Eddy Merckx - Help identify?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
BillBike

Eddy Merckx - Help identify?

Post by BillBike »

Hi everyone,
Can anyone help. Been having a clean out at my dads house and came across his old bike. Eddy Merckx from at least late 70s, he thinks earlier. Tried uploading an image below. If it’s worked, can anyone tell what year it’s from and how much it’s worth now?
Cheers,
Ste

https://tinyurl.com/yc6o374v
Brucey

Re: Eddy Merckx - Help identify?

Post by Brucey »

I can't see your picture for some reason (if you resize the picture to ~200kb you will be able to upload it).

What I can tell you is that bikes with 'Eddy Merckx' written on them vary enormously in quality, from professional quality road racing bikes to supermarket bikes with gas-pipe frames and inexpensive components. Obviously there were many more at the latter end of the spectrum made than the former. You can take an educated guess at the quality of the frame by looking at the components fitted to it.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Link goes nowhere.
It could be anything from desirable to utterly worthless. Need some description e.g. make and model of parts such as brakes, chainset etc. If it is decent it will have a sticker on the frame below the saddle which says Columbus. If it has all steel parts and no frame tubing identification then it is almost certainly a badged junker made by Falcon which is worth about £10 if you could find anybody willing to take it.
BillBike

Post by BillBike »

If this doesn’t work again on my phone, I’ll have a go on my computer in work!

Thanks for your response though
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If you cannot post images, weigh it. That's probably the quickest and surest guide. Unlike iconic British names like Claud Butler, it's not a case of older-the-better. AFAIK, when Mercx was still competing, his name was used on cheapo mass produced bikes, but in retirement he started his own top-end business, putting his personal experience to use.
BillBike

Post by BillBike »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e1q8W9 ... sp=sharing

Hopefully this should work, if not i'm just taking the bike to the tip!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

That's not a valuable collector's piece.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Don't take it to the tip - offer it on Gumtree or even Freecycle and someone might want it for a pub bike. Or donate to a cycling charity.
BillBike

Post by BillBike »

Ah, never mind. I wasn't really taking to the tip, just the image issue driving me mad, ha. Thanks for your time people
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

That is one of the low quality badged ones that Brucey and I referred to. The sort of thing sold for teenagers to ride to school. However, it looks to be in good condition, too good to throw away, so you might try eBay or similar if it is worth the hassle. Alternatively, as LollyKat says, a cycling charity would be a good idea if there is one near you.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

thirdcrank wrote:If you cannot post images, weigh it. That's probably the quickest and surest guide. Unlike iconic British names like Claud Butler, it's not a case of older-the-better. AFAIK, when Mercx was still competing, his name was used on cheapo mass produced bikes, but in retirement he started his own top-end business, putting his personal experience to use.

When we first moved here the tabac across the road sold 900-franc Eddy Merckx bike kits to build yourself. 1970s, that was.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

tatanab wrote:Link goes nowhere.
It could be anything from desirable to utterly worthless. Need some description e.g. make and model of parts such as brakes, chainset etc. If it is decent it will have a sticker on the frame below the saddle which says Columbus. If it has all steel parts and no frame tubing identification then it is almost certainly a badged junker made by Falcon which is worth about £10 if you could find anybody willing to take it.

was the first bike I ever bought in Norwich, as a teenager hence my name - I travelled long distances on that. It was a crap bike with simplex rear derailleur of poor quality and the wheels were not worthy of the name : I went on a tour up to North Yorks and the wolds the spokes kept on breaking :( Any way it was the first ever bike so have a fond memory of the liberation it gave me. Poor old Eddy Merckx had his name plastered over the frame tubes - he should have been ashamed to lend his name to such a bike :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Last edited by mercalia on 19 Feb 2018, 3:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I had a Falcon Eddy Merckx. First new bike ever. Loved it and got me into cycling. I'd love this one depending on where you are.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mattsccm wrote:I had a Falcon Eddy Merckx. First new bike ever. Loved it and got me into cycling. I'd love this one depending on where you are.

if he dont want to sell you could always go for this one - :wink: :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-RARE-RALEIGH-LENTON-CLUBMAN-1949-ROAD-BIKE-REYNOLDS-531/263482722467?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Last edited by mercalia on 19 Feb 2018, 3:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ride your bike, as much or as little as you like, but ride!

- Eddy Merckx
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies