Pain in Foot

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pad69

Pain in Foot

Post by pad69 »

I bought a new bike and have been riding for a just under a year (Genisis Datum 10 and love it) - it was setup to match my previous bike that I have had fitted for me.

I have cycled almost 3k on it and it is very comfortable and I have no gripes, however just recently, I started to get pain in my right foot. I got new shoes and new cleats and I have still been suffering with pain in one foot, its like an ache almost cramp like but its not.

I have tried moving the cleat to different positions and this hasn't really helped. I usually do 15-30 mile rides. I rarely stand as I am disabled in my left leg and my right is the dominant strong leg. Has anyone got any thoughts why I am getting this issue before I go down the route of having the bike professionally fitted for me.

Thank you in advance
mjr

Re: Pain in Foot

Post by mjr »

Try your old shoe to rule out the new shoes?

If that's OK, try the old cleats?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pad69

Post by pad69 »

Thank you I was getting it towards the end on the old shoe's too - that's what drove me to buy the new ones
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I would start by fitting platform pedals and trying without cleats. If that works, you can see if you are in a different position on the platfoms, and try to duplicate it with your cleats.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pwa

Post by pwa »

It does sound like a problem in the shoe / pedal area. Are you sure the shoes are wide enough? Are your feet the same distance from the crank face that they were with the pain-free old shoes? And I do mean the feet, not some part of the shoe.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

pad69 wrote:Thank you in advance

Where exactly is the pain?

About 10 years ago when I rediscovered cycling, I had pain in the centre of my right heel which went away after a few weeks followed by the same thing in my left heel. This is called plantar fasciitis, a painful inflammation of the fibrous band of connective tissue (plantar fascia) that runs along the bottom of the foot and connects the heel bone to the ball of the foot. In severe cases it can be caused by calcification of the tendon in the heel. In my case I guess it was simply a case of the fascia being stretched to a greater extent than previously, due to cycling. I've never had a problem with it since.
pad69

Post by pad69 »

Right in the center of the sole never spreads. I have been cycling for 3 years now at 2.5k miles approx a year. Tyvm though for your response. How did you eliminate yours or did it just go.

I take. My foot out of my cleats circle my foot then its fine for 10mins again
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

If its right below the cleat area, it sounds like it's simply SPD hotspot. Super stiff soled shoes usually reduce it. Might be worth a google of the term and see if it describes what you feel. Almost a numb pain.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
pwa

Post by pwa »

It might be worth trying having the shoes done up a bit less tight to allow the foot a few mm of rotation within the shoe. It would cost nothing to try that.
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

iandriver wrote:... it sounds like it's simply SPD hotspot. Super stiff soled shoes usually reduce it...

I concur it does sound like 'Hot Foot'; it's quite a common problem. It's normally due to compression of the nerves between the heads of each of the foot’s five long metatarsal bones.
Metheads.jpg

I often come across this issue when a rider has been using the softer soled trainer soled shoes and then builds up their mileage, they often reference they are developing what we have referenced here as 'Hot Foot'. Yes stiffer soled shoes often help, seldom are these the trainer styled shoes, in the SPD variety options include MTB focused or there are now quite a few SPD styles that are more road-audax-touring bike focused. In addition there are Cycling focused insoles-footbeds that also offer more support across the metatarsal heads. Three include Bontrager, Specialized or you could indulge in a custom moulded Sidas
Last edited by Paul Smith SRCC on 21 Feb 2018, 3:06pm, edited 4 times in total.
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

pad69 wrote:Right in the center of the sole never spreads. I have been cycling for 3 years now at 2.5k miles approx a year. Tyvm though for your response. How did you eliminate yours or did it just go.

I take. My foot out of my cleats circle my foot then its fine for 10mins again

Went away on it's own.

I don't use SPDs, just cage pedals with strapless toe grips, this arrangement allows the foot to move naturally sideways and achieve the most comfortable position. I've read that foot, ankle and knee pain can be caused by badly setup SPDs, your last point seems to suggest this might be the problem.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Paul Smith SRCC wrote:I often come across this issue when a rider has been using the softer soled trainer soled shoes and then builds up their mileage, they often reference they are developing what we have referenced here as 'Hot Foot'. Yes stiffer soled shoes often help [...]

Or you can simply stop trying to balance so much weight on a tiny pedal interface and fit pedals big enough to support the foot. They probably won't be SPD or similar (you could use things like powergrips with some) but then you can wear comfy shoes.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

My first port of call would be a chiropodist with an interest in sports injuries, or one who rides or runs himself.
cyclingmad

Post by cyclingmad »

Could it be that your shoes dont have enough padding so shock and pressure gets to them more?