what is the widest 700C latex tube and from where

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
The utility cyclist

what is the widest 700C latex tube and from where

Post by The utility cyclist »

Looking for some wide latex tubes, the tyres are 37mm when inflated to 55psi, I've already got a nice Bontrager tube that is light enough at 124g and is a proper width tube for that size (not undersized/overly stretched) but would like to give some latex tubes a try.

I've seen some Vittoria ones for £7 that are described as 25-28mm which could be useful for other tyres but struggling to find something wider, the rim is only 21mm deep so don't need a long valve.

Anyone have any leads as to something a bit wider.
Samuel D

Re: what is the widest 700C latex tube and from where

Post by Samuel D »

Michelin AirComp C4? Designed for a 26" tyre but latex is highly stretchy stuff. Weight would be around 130 g but with lower rolling resistance than a butyl tube.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Eman Resu

Post by Eman Resu »

The Utility Cyclist, I have two of the up to 38 mm Challenge latex inner tubes lying around if you're interested. Can swap for a 27.2 seat post or old rear rack? :?:
Mathematics is precise, so I am a mathematician.
Life is precious, so I protect all life.
The utility cyclist

Eman Resu wrote:The Utility Cyclist, I have two of the up to 38 mm Challenge latex inner tubes lying around if you're interested. Can swap for a 27.2 seat post or old rear rack? :?:

ooo, that might be an idea, I have a black suspension post that's hardly been used or I could swap that out with an ordinary black alloy post from a bike I'm selling that's in really good condition if either might be of interest? I'd have to have a dig in the garage to see if I have a rack, presuming for 700C/27"?
How much otherwise/condition?
Last edited by The utility cyclist on 22 Feb 2018, 12:40am, edited 1 time in total.
The utility cyclist

Samuel D wrote:Michelin AirComp C4? Designed for a 26" tyre but latex is highly stretchy stuff. Weight would be around 130 g but with lower rolling resistance than a butyl tube.

Was reading on a CX website and they'd said they'd used the vittoria 25-28mm jobs in a 37mm tyre no problem, just worried that might be pushing it for that size tyre at higher pressures (55max) compared to the 25/30psi these guys were running at?
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Higher pressure doesn't really affect much other than the size of tyre cut that will cause a burst.
If a tube is inside a tyre, it can't stretch bigger than the tyre, and if you've ever pumped a tube outside a tyre, you'll know how big they can get before bursting.

A stretched tube will puncture faster than a relatively unstretched tube, both in terms of going flat quicker when there is a puncture, and in terms of chafing through faster if there's something rough inside the tyre.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

I agree with andrew_s but note that I’m suggesting the use of a fat mountain bike tube, albeit a 26" one. That would have to be stretched only slightly in length to work in your 700C tyre. It looks like Michelin recently made it fatter (following the trend to wider tyres, I suppose), so ideally you’d find the older, narrower one in stock. It’s still widely available.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Have things changed over the years?
Last time I tried latex I lost two weeks air in just one day :?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Eman Resu

Post by Eman Resu »

For the utilitycyclist. Some photos of the latex innertubes. The challenge ones (orange/pink) are 30-35 mm but I've used them on 37 mm tyres. The cream coloured one is from an old wide tubular tyre

latex2.jpg
latex2.jpg (38.4 KiB) Viewed 811 times

latex3.jpg

latex1.jpg
latex1.jpg (46.32 KiB) Viewed 811 times
Mathematics is precise, so I am a mathematician.
Life is precious, so I protect all life.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Samuel D wrote:I agree with andrew_s but note that I’m suggesting the use of a fat mountain bike tube, albeit a 26" one. That would have to be stretched only slightly in length to work in your 700C tyre. It looks like Michelin recently made it fatter (following the trend to wider tyres, I suppose), so ideally you’d find the older, narrower one in stock. It’s still widely available.

The awkwardness of a 26" tube in a 700c wheel is that when you are fitting the tube, it hugs the well of the rim, and it's easy to get the tube trapped under the tyre bead.
(speaking as someone who, out on the road, got the boxed Michelin A2 tube (700x25-32) out of the Carradice, and found a 650c x 18-23 long valve tube inside)