what the surface of the Exe Estuary trail is like.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
whoof

what the surface of the Exe Estuary trail is like.

Post by whoof »

I was thinking of riding from Exmouth to Topsham this weekend on the Exe Estuary trail and wondered what the path surface was like? i.e. tarmac, gravel, mud etc.

Many thanks
mjr

Re: what the surface of the Exe Estuary trail is like.

Post by mjr »

http://cycle.st/p88354 makes me think tarmac. It's also shown as surfaced on OpenStreetMap via http://cycle.travel/map apart from 150m south of Exton which may be a slight misinterpretation as https://www.instantstreetview.com/@50.6 ... .78p,3.15z makes it look like a boardwalk to me.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
tod28

Post by tod28 »

Tarmac all the way from Orcombe point to Exeter to Dawlish Warren/ Dawlish.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Many thanks for the replies.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Its mainly tarmac off road with a bit of raised wooden boardwalk over the swampy bits, some on road bits on quiet rural roads throught the villages and through topsham itself.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Had a couple of pints and lunch in The Globe Inn, Topsham last week, very nice.
Beauty will save the world.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I've done it many times and its a very relaxed laid back ride, watch out for pairs of OAP's two abreast who are probably blind too :evil:

Seriously its fast and easy and smooth if you are talking the whole estuary ride, why you not going at least up to Exeter?
But the bit you are talking about does waver around the houses a bit If I remember correctly, signs are rubbish....too small......hard to read.................that's if you can find any :(

You go through housing estates which seems daft, you will be confused at times which way to go, but you will muddle through, have fun, be a devil and travel, a bit further.
Easy on a tourer, 23's will be ok, there may be some puddles but unless you take a short cut there is no mud IIRC.
Wooden slatted raised decking past army camp, not sure you get that far without looking at map?
Kept getting lost at times and blown off by family's out for a sunday jaunt, they live there but 1st timers will need to look closely at times, spend all that money and poor directions :roll:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
tod28

Post by tod28 »

I will have to disagree on a lack of signage! It is well signposted even to the extent of additional signs provided by the residents of Exton where a few may have got off route in the past.

If progressing past Topsham towards Exeter there is a section that meanders through Countess Wear. However, if you continue along the service road alongside Topsham Road to Bridge Road then the service road turns towards the river and the canal path. The serice road is actually quieter than following the signed route through the 'estate'.

This weekend you are likely to have the wind somewhat behind you up the river and somewhat against you on your return.
RJS

Post by RJS »

Yep, tod28 +1, I think the hardest sign to see is one soon after Topsham quay, had a little detour :oops: , saw another pretty bit of Topsham :) , it's all tarmac or wood slats, very popular on a nice day. Also, think you can get from Exmouth on to Budleigh Saltreton following paths and quiet roads.
Cheers.
Rob.
tod28

Post by tod28 »

Exmouth to Budleigh is quite and tarmac off road once you get out of Littleham which is one of the few places where the signage used to be a bit sparse and sometimes confusing. I haven't looked for a few years as we usually run from Budleigh to Exmouth having arrived at the coast down the Otter valley. They have done some work to improve the path through the estate at Littleham over last few years but we head down Mear Lane to the beach at Exmouth rather than through Phear Park to the town, so haven't seen the "improvements"

The run over to Budleigh is not particularly interesting unless you enjoy long, straight notable gradients through woodland as it is a repurposed railway track. But a good way to get to or from Budliegh
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Signage might well have improved as it is 3-4 years since I last cycled along.
The ride its self is not demanding, also up at Powderham end there has been vast improvments.
On a sunny day you will meet lots of people, pity I don't live nearby, would make ideal training ground on quite days / early late daytime.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

One downside is the longish stretch through the bird reserves south of Topsham. A high wooden fence on one side (to avoid disturbing the birds), a high railway embankment on the other. A lot of boardwalk. No view except the tunnel-like trail straight ahead. It's certainly fast, but rather disconcerting - even a little weird.