wireless cycle computer for 2 bikes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Revolution

wireless cycle computer for 2 bikes

Post by Revolution »

I'm looking to get a wireless cycle computer and it would be handy if I could swap it between bikes.
I know there used to be certain computers that could take 2 separate wheel diameters so you could use them on different machines but this doesn't seem to be a feature that is advertised on many of the computers I've looked at.
If anyone knows of a wireless computer that can do this - I'd be very grateful.
I should add that I'm not looking for GPS - just the usual speed, distance, time data
Cheers
Paulatic

Re: wireless cycle computer for 2 bikes

Post by Paulatic »

Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Sigma bc1600 or most of their range.
NUKe

Post by Mick F »

Revolution wrote:I should add that I'm not looking for GPS - just the usual speed, distance, time data
I know it's GPS, but have a look at a Garmin Edge 20.
It does the usual speed distance time, and can fit on any bike. Although the GPS is there and that's how it works, you don't need to even consider the GPS system. It's self contained and will run long enough on the internal battery for 7hrs or so. It charges quickly on USB.

It's neater and tidier than having a wheel sensor, and just fits on the handlebars. You get two fittings for the handlebars, so you can leave them on.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Edge-GP ... dpSrc=srch

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/508487
Mick F. Cornwall
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

At least some Cateye computers have this feature. I have a Strada Wireless and a Strada Double Wireless and both will work on a second bike with the addition of a second wheel sensor. Different wheel sizes can be accommodated.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

There seems a bit of confusion about what 2 bikes is.

What does the OP want? Computer bit transferable to another bike, or a complete parallel set of recordings on one device.

Also if being transferred, presumably he will want two sensors, mounts, etc. The Halfords one doesn't seem to have that.

On my Cateye velo 7 I can change the wheel size at anytime so I could transfer it to another bike, but I would need all the fittings for the second bike (which strangely I have cos someone stole the computer bit leaving all the rest).

I remember you used to be able to buy just the sensor and mount from some manufacturers - presumably this is what the OP wants.

Unless he wants something flash, I'd go for 2 complete units.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Obviously any computer can be swapped from one bike to another and set up accordingly.

I understood the OP to mean that they want to use a single head unit to swap between two different wheel sized bikes. Each bike having its own wheel sensor.

Cateye sell a “second bike” kit which includes an additional sensor and an extra mount for the head unit. Each sensor is allocated a separate channel for displaying and recording data and you can input different wheel sizes for the two sensors.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Norman, I agree, but which Cateye has the 2 channels feature. My current and previous Cateye models didn't have it.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

I've never actually used this facility but from the instructions for my Strada Wireless:-

“Toggle between the specified wheel sizes (tyre circumference) A & B. Use this function if the computer is to be shared between two bicycles”

I don't have the instructions for the Strada Double Wireless to hand but from memory the procedure is slightly different. Each sensor has its own identity and needs to be paired with the head unit during set up.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

since you only want basic facilities, buy 2 cheap ones? better still get a lidl WIRED one that are very reliable and cost peanuts
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mercalia wrote:since you only want basic facilities, buy 2 cheap ones? better still get a lidl WIRED one that are very reliable and cost peanuts

I would agree I've been through quite a few wireless ones and they have all proved unreliable (phoney/ludicrous readings). Ended-up binning them all and going for a wired one. (Though in truth they didn't go in the bin but some returned for credit, others still sitting in my cupboard).

Ian
busb

Post by busb »

I have used more than one wireless computer - all have been unreliable, especially in very cold weather). Despite my misgivings of Garmin's Edge 20/25 (mentioned in another thread) & being GPS, I'd go for something that has a single rechargeable battery with "O" ring fixing quarter-turn mounts (or bolt-on so-called Out-front mount) that are easily available.
Revolution

Post by Revolution »

Thanks for your input - I decided to go for a Cateye Padrome Smart - which uses bluetooth to gather data from my phone (which I always carry when cycling)
So far it seems very good; the phone can be in sleep mode - you don't have to turn an app on as with Strava but the GPS still works so the speed and distance are shown on the unit and it seem pretty accurate. Also, it will work on both bikes as wheel sizes are irrelevant.
Not a particularly cheap solution but I thought I would treat myself :D