Selling a bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
TerryField

Selling a bike

Post by TerryField »

Is there an area on this forum for buying and selling? I have a circa 1996 Marin East Peak mountain bike in great condition for sale. Yes, it is old, but still very useable, but it only attracted £70 on e bay.

I was hoping to get about £120,but am I being optimistic, and where Should I try and sell it?

Thanks
Terry
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Selling a bike

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Post on Retrobike. They will advise.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Bonefishblues wrote:Post on Retrobike. They will advise.

This.

To be honest unless the bike has certain parts and/or is in superb nick it's just another mountain bike.
The Marin name doesn't hold as much weight as it once did and also most people are wanting the '29er' tyre size on an mtb. If it's fitted with STX-RC then that will hold down the price for bog std buyers.
It's probably worth around the money you're asking but it isn't on trend and it's still looked at as a 20 year old mountain bike.
Retrobike/MTB specific forums are your best bet.
Oh and make sure to describe in detail with loads of clear close up photos.
TerryField

Post by TerryField »

Mr Smith, Sorry but I don't think I can send you a picture without your e mail, unless I have missed something.

Terry
Graham

Post by Graham »

Terry,

Use the Private Message system on this board to exchange email addresses. ( Right hand side, near the Username,. Click on "Contact". )

PS. No harm in putting in the Small Ads here. It's free to use. . . . More detail about the Marin would be useful though - specifically the FRAME Size, etc. . .
PH

Post by PH »

Is this the full suspension model?* If so you're looking for a very particular buyer, it won't make a good commuter/tourer and MTB suspension has come a long way in twenty years. It may well be worth what you're looking for, but it might also take a long time to find that buyer. If you're in no hurry and can do so for free, I'd keep relisting on Ebay till you find them.
+1 for Retrobike - though the folk on there will be aware what stuff fetches on Ebay.

* If it isn't FS ignore this post!
hamster

Post by hamster »

£70 sounds about right. Breaking it for bits and selling separately always gets more £££s.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybe the National Cycle Museum in Llandrindod Wells would be interested
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
meejozzz

Post by meejozzz »

Hi I’m a regular Retrobiker person and owner of a very similar bike to your East Peak. Thankfully the Marin FRS single pivot design has stood the test of time and performs surprisingly well to quite a few full-suss bikes of today. It’s single pivot so there’s little to go wrong and is still a good looking cross-country machine. Depending on condition and if it’s still original components or even some decent modern stuff I think you’d find a buyer for it quite easily. I’d reckon £150 is easily achievable. I’d do Gumtree though as you won’t get whacked by PayPal/eBay fees and you probably won’t need to post it.