Zwift

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Gazza81

Zwift

Post by Gazza81 »

I've just picked up a magnetic elite volare trainer and I'm wondering how I would go about using zwift with it as I find it a bit confusing

What would I need to get it up and running and is it even worth it with this type of trainer?

Thanks
Gazza81

Re: Zwift

Post by Gazza81 »

I should probably add the cheapest way to set up too!
0xymoron

Post by 0xymoron »

Looks like Zwift will support the Volare - see https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/203152565-Which-trainers-does-Zwift-support-

Cheapest way to get on Zwift? Have a look at Shane Miller's video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg0IDDmSStw&t=3s

Is it worth it? Think of Zwift as a massive multiplayer role playing game powered by your efforts on the trainer, rather than by shooting aliens with a ray gun. I think you can get a free trial period, but of course you'll need all of the kit before you can run a trial.

Youtube is your friend - there's tons of stuff on there that will give you an idea of how it works and what it's like to use.
SmilerGB

Post by SmilerGB »

You get a free 25km trial on Zwift, it’s not a bad training program. But on a personal preference I prefer sufferfest.
The bicycle is a simple solution to some of the world's most complicated problems.
Gazza81

Post by Gazza81 »

Am i right in thinking as my trainer is compatible i just need a speed sensor and a Bluetooth laptop/device?

Ive got a bluetooth laptop with windows 10

Im looking at the wahoo speed and cadance sensor on amazon but do i need anything else?

I will watch that youtube clip later when im connected to wifi
0xymoron

Post by 0xymoron »

Sounds like you'll just need the speed (& cadence) sensor then.

BUT: check if the sensor you're looking at is bluetooth or Ant+ (or it might be both, I suppose - I don't know the Wahoo sensor); if it's Ant+ only (which it may well be) you'll need an Ant+ dongle, obviously.

Zwift will work with blutooth or Ant+, and Windows, mac, iOS or Android (I think), but not all combinations work I believe. I've only ever used Ant+ and Windows, so I can't give you any advice about other combinations.

If your laptop is 2-3 years old it should work OK, but Zwift is quite hard work on the graphics so you may not get brilliant graphics. I have run Zwift on a 3 year old laptop, and it's perfectly usable.
Gazza81

Post by Gazza81 »

0xymoron wrote:Sounds like you'll just need the speed (& cadence) sensor then.

BUT: check if the sensor you're looking at is bluetooth or Ant+ (or it might be both, I suppose - I don't know the Wahoo sensor); if it's Ant+ only (which it may well be) you'll need an Ant+ dongle, obviously.

Zwift will work with blutooth or Ant+, and Windows, mac, iOS or Android (I think), but not all combinations work I believe. I've only ever used Ant+ and Windows, so I can't give you any advice about other combinations.

If your laptop is 2-3 years old it should work OK, but Zwift is quite hard work on the graphics so you may not get brilliant graphics. I have run Zwift on a 3 year old laptop, and it's perfectly usable.

Thanks, i went with garmin speed and cadence sensor and ordered the ant dongle and extention too!

Yeah my laptop is about that age 3yrs ish, not too fussed about the graphics its just to beat the bordom really!

Thanks again
0xymoron

Post by 0xymoron »

Let us know how you get on.

I think Zwift is brilliant for structured training and for keeping your mileage up during the winter (and the racing is manic!), and I now do about 5000 (virtual) Kms on it every year.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Recent converts to zwift, we had a smart trainer anyway, and have it linked up with tacx trainer software.... I now can alternate between different sessions depending on what I want to do, and if I am doing some interval sessions I go into 'Rider choice 60-90mins' that means I still ride the circuit, but it does not simulate the gradients... so I get a steady even flat ride... that doesn't mess up what I am aiming to achieve in the intervals.

Have fun.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

You put the speed sensor on your back wheel, then position the dongle near the bottom bracket, on the floor, so that it will pick up the signal. You connect the dongle to your laptop using your long USB cable. Download Zwift onto your laptop and you are good to go. You get a week's free trial with Zwift. I used it but didn't really like it, so didn't continue after the trial. There's lots of cheating with people putting in wrong settings so they can get an artificially high power output. You see these people come whizzing past you as you ride along.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com