Eating on the bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mercalia

Re: Eating on the bike

Post by mercalia »

need a little table that attaches to the handle bars.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Alan O wrote:
Gazza81 wrote:Ok so pretty much a decent brecky and i should be good to go.

I might take a couple cereal bars, the mrs gets them soft belvita breakfast cookies mmmm just incase i feel like i need something.

Drink wise id rather avoid sugar if i can so 2 500ml bottles of cordial and salt should see me through

I'd say it's better to take too much food with you and not eat it all than not take enough and run out of energy. I'd err on the cautious side and take a bit extra, and after the ride you'll know more accurately what you'll need next time.

Yes, I usually make sure that for rides over 2 hours, and under approx. 4 hours, I have at least one banana/apple more than I think I need, and for longer rides, or if I'm out all day, at least one meal more than I think I need. Even if I know that there are lunch and tea breaks, I will carry a couple of sarnies and some fruit or something. I also carry powdered drink mix for 500 ml of energy drink. I don't usually drink the stuff, but it does help if I get the bonk or feel like I'm in danger of it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Alan O wrote:
Gazza81 wrote:Ok so pretty much a decent brecky and i should be good to go.

I might take a couple cereal bars, the mrs gets them soft belvita breakfast cookies mmmm just incase i feel like i need something.

Drink wise id rather avoid sugar if i can so 2 500ml bottles of cordial and salt should see me through

I'd say it's better to take too much food with you and not eat it all than not take enough and run out of energy. I'd err on the cautious side and take a bit extra, and after the ride you'll know more accurately what you'll need next time.

On a longer ride take *different* things
Sandwiches biscuits fruit nuts yoghurt rice-pudding a bit of chocolate, dried fruit
Cycling in summer is awful, it is hard to drink enough :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Gazza81

Post by Gazza81 »

Well since i got back on the weekend ive had a nasty cold and cough so must have done something wrong, not been out again this week, hoping ill be better by sunday.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Gazza81 wrote:Well since i got back on the weekend ive had a nasty cold and cough so must have done something wrong, not been out again this week, hoping ill be better by sunday.

More likely pure coincidence. Get well soon
NUKe

Post by bovlomov »

Sweep wrote:
bovlomov wrote:Hi-tech food tip: dried bananas (not the sugar coated slices, but the whole ones). Light, cheap, nutritious and delicious.

I used to get mine from the Indian shop, but they no longer stock them, so I'll have to look elsewhere. A friend brought be some back from Thailand, but I can't rely on that source.

Is it possible to dry your own?
Or are special bananas/a special process involved?

I don't know, but the dried ones I was buying were a lot cheaper than the same number of fresh bananas.

OK, I'll try to dry one and see what happens. What do you think - low oven or hung up in a sunny window?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

bovlomov wrote:
Sweep wrote:
bovlomov wrote:Hi-tech food tip: dried bananas (not the sugar coated slices, but the whole ones). Light, cheap, nutritious and delicious.

I used to get mine from the Indian shop, but they no longer stock them, so I'll have to look elsewhere. A friend brought be some back from Thailand, but I can't rely on that source.

I don't know, but the dried ones I was buying were a lot cheaper than the same number of fresh bananas.

OK, I'll try to dry one and see what happens. What do you think - low oven or hung up in a sunny window?

Quick google gives lots of ways......
Gazza81

Post by Gazza81 »

bovlomov wrote:
Sweep wrote:

I got a dehydrator from ebay 5 teir for 20 quid can do all sorts with it
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Rather like the sound of that gazza. Do you have a link, brand name?
Sweep
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Cunobelin wrote:OK, I'll try to dry one and see what happens. What do you think - low oven or hung up in a sunny window?

Quick google gives lots of ways......

Thanks. Google has reminded me that people used to smoke dried banana skins in an attempt to get high.

[Note for the kids: You can get far on a dried banana, but you won't get far out on the peel]
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I used to eat a lot of those dried black bananas
They might be cheaper because they are compact and do not have to be transported in a special atmosphere
Maybe the drying work should be done where they are grown
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I used to eat a lot of those dried black bananas
They might be cheaper because they are compact and do not have to be transported in a special atmosphere
Maybe the drying work should be done where they are grown

I think you are right.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

NUKe wrote:
Gazza81 wrote:Well since i got back on the weekend ive had a nasty cold and cough so must have done something wrong, not been out again this week, hoping ill be better by sunday.

More likely pure coincidence. Get well soon

Agreed, though dehydration can cause germs to proliferate... and it is always a good idea to keep sipping fluids even after the ride to keep saliva dilute and wash through germs. Also being in a room where someone else has a virus / germs is not good as your immunity can be low at this stage following exercise.....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

I always seem to need to drink a lot. Years ago a doctor colleague of mine was convinced that I was diabetic because I drank so much (I’m not). So I always carry plenty of water (you don’t have to drink it just because you’ve got it, but it is there if you do need it). Obviously a big factor is how much you perspire. For eats I usually carry a couple of Nature Valley Crunchy bars when I ride, and would probably just eat one on a 35 mile ride, but of course a lot would depend on terrain. Years ago I just took jelly babies. I found with trial and error that I had far less energy when swimming if I’d had too much quick-fix sugar in a chocolate bar. Nowadays I regularly cycle 25+ miles with a 1000m swim part way on my ride. I eat one of my crunchy bars about 30 mins before my swim and a medium sized ripe banana shortly before entering the pool.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I have never tried gels but they seem very interesting
Do they have disadvantages compared to real food?