Any colour - as long as it's black

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
maxglide

Any colour - as long as it's black

Post by maxglide »

I was looking at Trek UK ("Your awesome year starts here") seeing if anything tickled my fancy - but just about every Domane/Madone/Emonda is in black. I thought, the black is cool trend, had passed. If you're handing over £9,500 you expect colour choice not the Henry Ford option.

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bike ... es/c/B200/
thirdcrank

Re: Any colour - as long as it's black

Post by thirdcrank »

It looks as though once again, fashion has come round to my way of thinking. :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Black = Yuk = boring.
Shiny bling and bright colours = happy = :D
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There's nobody more boring than me but black = easy to touch in.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I've never seen anything of Trek's I'd ever want to own.
As for £9,500 for a bike I need locking in a rubber room until my sanity returned
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Black is fine in tyre tread and brakes blocks. Otherwise it should be banned from bikes.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Our club is giving us all a buckshee spring jacket with the club blazon on it. Colours available: white, black, dark green, dark blue, dark red. You'd think that yellow had been removed from the spectrum. I took white for visibility's sake but I don't much like the prospect.

Our club colours were bright yellow and bright green for over 30 years, until we got a Morticia Addams fan for a secretary. All of a sudden they're parti-coloured medium green and black. From a distance you can only see half of anyone wearing them.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

maxglide wrote:I was looking at Trek UK ("Your awesome year starts here") seeing if anything tickled my fancy - but just about every Domane/Madone/Emonda is in black. I thought, the black is cool trend, had passed. If you're handing over £9,500 you expect colour choice not the Henry Ford option.
https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bike ... es/c/B200/

https://www.facebook.com/TheBikeMagicia ... =3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/TheBikeMagicia ... 80/?type=3
Apparently this is a Trek Emonda SLR.
You can have a Trek customised but I couldn't find that option.
Lots of other standard colours as a no-cost option.
(personally not a Trek fan :mrgreen: )
You'll never know if you don't try it.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Much easier to match rack and mudguards in black :wink:
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

You can choose different colours. But the sales hype on this bike is ridiculous. I couldn't understand the description. Its off the peg for custom fit prices. It will be bought by those who want bragging rights rather than the amatures who could benefit.it has online ordering, a bike of this price should be tailored to you not banged out over the internet.
NUKe

Post by thirdcrank »

NUKe wrote: ... it has online ordering, ... .

Not only that, there's a +/- feature to specify how many you want, although they'd all presumably be the same size. Anyway, I'm disappointed to see that after having my expectations raised it's black and viper red. You probably lubricate it with a little can of snake oil. :wink:
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Mick F wrote:Black = Yuk = boring.
Shiny bling and bright colours = happy = :D

I agree, black is boring. I'm sure a black bike without some chrome bits it less easily seen.
I'm not sure others are right about the the ease of touching up. I knew a car sprayer who always said black was the hardest colour to match, white being the easiest.

Black bikes with black wheels,bars, seat post etc. look very boring. I just have the feeling it suits the manufacturers better.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

reohn2 wrote:snip<I need locking in a rubber room until my sanity returned>

Agreed but what about the £9,500 bike? :wink: :wink: :wink: :D
Seriously, why spend that money? Is there realistically a difference between a £2,500 bike and a £9,500 bike in terms of your performance on it?

I'm speaking as a proud owner of a £650 bike, £500 secondhand bike, freebie from the gym bso and an extremely proud owner of a £500 bike bought as a kid decades ago. Total value excluding consumables and extra addons £1,650. Now I notice the difference between each of those bikes, they're all different. To quote the often used comparison, my car cost less than that! The £9,500 figure.

I bet there's some on here whose first house cost less (although not when adjusting prices to current time).

PS which is worse, black or silver? Black with Day-Glo features can look nice but black with a different black features is dull. Perhaps add bits that shine bright when headlights hit it. Or just a choice of colours. I understand there's efficiencies in only offering one or at most two seasonal colours but at that price what percentage of the cost would really need adding to give a wider colour choice? Would the price go up too £10k? Would that stop anyone?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

........... but why does carbon fibre only come in black?
I can understand the desire for lightness and stiffness, but why only in black for bikes?

Carbon fibre is used in many other sporting equipments, but it comes in a variety of colours.
Mick F. Cornwall
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

An abreaction to hi-viz?
Have we got time for another cuppa?