Relieving turbo tedium

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ANTONISH

Relieving turbo tedium

Post by ANTONISH »

I avoid riding in snow or ice and during bad weather I've taken to using a turbo to try to maintain some semblance of fitness.
Like others I find the turbo mind numbing.
I thought of listening to music via an MP3 player - a device of which I have little knowledge - but seems conveniently wearable.
I believe music has to be downloaded to it - but how does one get the desired music? Much of the music available for download is not to my taste. ( not being down with the youth and still thinking of grime as being what I get on my bike during a ride).
Can I download a CD ?
Brucey

Re: Relieving turbo tedium

Post by Brucey »

most MP3 players connect to a PC via a USB cable. The computer should recognise the MP3 player as an external drive of some kind, even if it doesn't have proprietary software (for the MP3 player) installed. Just a question of copying pasting files/folders if the MP3 player is recognised as an external drive.

You can get your MP3 files via the internet or you can (with the right software, and obviously a disc drive on the computer) copy music from CDs onto the computer's hard drive in MP3 format.

One approach that works OK indoors is to get cordless headphones and to watch TV/listen to music that way. If you use corded headphones, there is a fair chance that there may be a static electricity problem with some turbos and (AFAICT) all rollers.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

As above import your music to a computer, perhaps even creating your own list from a mix of tracks, ie you do not have to use a whole CD if you want to string together a variety of tracks from various artists etc. Then import to an MP3 device. Alternatively have music on your laptop that you can play. Cheap old TV / Monitor that can play dvd's or cds?
We have internet extension router in the garage so we can run internet, potential for Youtube training cds.

Not sure if they are still available, but I bought some Chris Carmichael DVD's a while back... and he gives you some workouts while watching others on turbos in a gym..... so you feel like you are training alongside others...

Another option is http://3lc.tv/5-dvd-box-set/4558288691 You might not be training for the specific 'events', but it does you give some ideas and some relief from the boredom.

Alternatively just run some videos of pro peloton races, or a favourite film....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I would try OSTTTOA, singing myself, one song to the tune of another
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
0xymoron

Post by 0xymoron »

MP3 players are soooo nineties. Why bother to faff about buying an mp3 player, ripping cds, downloading mp3 tracks etc. when, if you have a computer or a tablet or a smartphone (or even an app on your modern, smart telly), you can access all of the world's music for a few pounds a month via a streaming service like Spotify, Apple Music, Google Music etc.?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

0xymoron wrote:MP3 players are soooo nineties. Why bother to faff about buying an mp3 player, ripping cds, downloading mp3 tracks etc. when, if you have a computer or a tablet or a smartphone (or even an app on your modern, smart telly), you can access all of the world's music for a few pounds a month via a streaming service like Spotify, Apple Music, Google Music etc.?

well I still use MINIDISC so dont know what you think of me :lol: :wink:

rather than music , audiobooks would be a good thng to listen to while on a trainer?

I vaguely remember some one setting up a trainer and a pc/display so that you did virtual rides seeing the country pass by as you pedalled. ANy one remember this?
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I have played games on the PC when using a cycle machine.
Placed a board on the bars and, using a mouse, played various easy games on the PC.
I suppose you could use Utube for entertainment or some such.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

0xymoron wrote:MP3 players are soooo nineties. Why bother to faff about buying an mp3 player, ripping cds, downloading mp3 tracks etc. when, if you have a computer or a tablet or a smartphone (or even an app on your modern, smart telly), you can access all of the world's music for a few pounds a month via a streaming service like Spotify, Apple Music, Google Music etc.?

Not sure how buying an mp3 player is a faff?! They are fantastic lightweight devices. Ripping a CD to compressed MP3 takes a few minutes and transferring to a player maybe 30 seconds per disc. The advantages are clear; the music is not dependent upon a broadband connection, you get to listen to the version of the CD (pre remixed or remastered) which you prefer, finally you are avoiding 'renting' the music (soooo whatever era we are currently in) and making these "technology" companies even richer.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

also if you have already bought a recording, it would be intensely annoying to have to buy (or rent every time you wanted to listen to it) a further copy....

BTW if you want easy access to music genres (for free) over t'interweb, internet radio is pretty good. I have a Roberts receiver that is pretty seamless on internet radio and works on wifi. Also does digital radio etc too, obviously.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

I presume the commentator is being ironic. Otherwise I fail to understand how a computer, tablet or smartphone are easier than a a basic MP3 player, when having a workout? (Nb. I find balancing a 50/25mm Mp3 can be a nuisance when having a heavy workout on a machine; the mind boggles at having to balance my laptop on the same machine)
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I find balancing a 50/25mm Mp3 can be a nuisance when having a heavy workout on a machine;

No pocket to put it into?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Or shelf nearby?
I have an MP3 player but haven’t used it for at least 5 yrs. My phone does it all now.
My neighbour uses trainer road with his tablet propped up on a bench in front of him. Encouraging instructions from a computer driven programme appears to be all the entertainment he needs. Watching him I declined the offer of a first month free code. :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Attachments
s-l16007FTWZHKR.jpg
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
0xymoron

Post by 0xymoron »

I presume the commentator is being ironic. Otherwise I fail to understand how a computer, tablet or smartphone are easier than a a basic MP3 player, when having a workout?

I didn't say that a tablet, smartphone etc. was easier to use than an MP3 player - go back and read what I said. Hint: a smartphone plus streaming app is easier to set-up than ripping CDs and / or downloading and then transferring MP3 tracks to an MP3 player (especially as I gained the impression that the original poster may not be particularly competent in this area) - in my opinion, of course.

Nb. I find balancing a 50/25mm Mp3 can be a nuisance when having a heavy workout on a machine; the mind boggles at having to balance my laptop on the same machine

Do you seriously think that I recommended balancing a laptop on your handlebars whilst using a turbotrainer? Never heard of shelves, stands, Bluetooth (or indeed wired) headphones, speakers? Alternatively, tablets and phones can be attached directly to the handlebars by a simple bracket, and, since the bike is not going to be going over bumps or falling over, these can be as cheap as you like (I actually use a small fabric holder that loops over the bars and cost me £2.49). I can only presume that you were being ironic.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Grandad wrote:
I find balancing a 50/25mm Mp3 can be a nuisance when having a heavy workout on a machine;

No pocket to put it into?

No. In any case a 60-90 minute workout at 150-170hrm in a gym environment produces enough sweat that a MP3 player wouldn't last if put in a pocket. Even waterproof MP3 players designed for swimming, rarely last longer than 9-10 months in that environment.