Has anyone cycled in Skye? Scotland

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
emmaquinlan

Has anyone cycled in Skye? Scotland

Post by emmaquinlan »

Hi there,

New to the group - hoping to do Trotternish Peninsula - POrtree to Portree in MAy in 1 day. Wr would ideally cycle Quiraing and down and continue coastal route. Is this possible in a full day and reasonably leisurely.

Thanks in advance.
pjclinch

Re: Has anyone cycled in Skye? Scotland

Post by pjclinch »

emmaquinlan wrote:Hi there,
New to the group - hoping to do Trotternish Peninsula - POrtree to Portree in MAy in 1 day. Wr would ideally cycle Quiraing and down and continue coastal route. Is this possible in a full day and reasonably leisurely.

That rather depends on you and your idea of a "leisurely full day". I'm sure it would be no bother for Mark Beaumont, but that's not necessarily applicable to you.

Drop your proposed route in to Mapometer or similar and see how far and how much climb, and compare that to what you know you're happy with would be a way to start.

I've cycled across Skye between ferries and it's worth realising that what looks pretty flat and straightforward on a large scale map can be rather lumpier than expected. This is the scenic route to Broadford from Sconser, over Loch Ainort if you want to look it up on the 1:50K, for example.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Spent a few days on Skye last Easter with one of my daughters. Stayed in Uig and although did not cycle around the whole Trotternish I would say your proposed route would be no problem for any reasonably fit person; about 45 miles and 1000 mtrs of ascent (reference cycle.travel). Could get it done before lunch if you get a wiggle on :wink: .

I didn't find the traffic too bad but I believe during high season it can get pretty busy, especially near the popular vistas. Just get up a bit earlier and beat the motons,

Enjoy your trip, all the best, Simon
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

SimonCelsa wrote:I didn't find the traffic too bad but I believe during high season it can get pretty busy, especially near the popular vistas. Just get up a bit earlier and beat the motons,

+1

Skye gets very busy these days, I cycled clockwise from Uig to Portree in 2015. I'd last cycled the same route in 1985. I was expecting an increase in traffic in the intervening thirty years but was still quite shocked, especially as I'd just spent 3 weeks in the outer Hebrides. The northern section between Uig and the Quiraing is single track which tends to limit speeds but 60mph seemed to be the norm elsewhere.

I wouldn't advise against it, it's a nice ride, but if you're not happy with that sort of thing you might want to plan accordingly, as Simon suggests.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

When is the busy season on Skye?
I would have thought it is quiet most of the year
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I'd recommend going out and back up the east coast, with a loop over the Quiraing and round the coast of the northern tip of the peninsula (about 92 km). Taking the northern loop clockwise takes you up the steeper, more scenic side of the Quiraing.

The A87 between Uig and Portree is a big, potentially fast, road of no great interest.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

New to the group - hoping to do Trotternish Peninsula - POrtree to Portree in MAy in 1 day.

Thanks in advance.

Make sure it's prior to mid-may; midges come out on the 15th! Don't underestimate the little b><@:~+
hercule

Post by hercule »

There’s an clip from of Kerry is Kirsty on BBC Alba where they cycle the east side of the Trotternish peninsula from Portree. Unfortunately the whole programme can’t be seen on the iPlayer now but the clip is well worth a watch (subtitles for non Gaelic speakers :D ) and it will give you an idea of roads and traffic. I was shocked at how busy the roads were compared to when I cycled round Skye circa 1990. (Even then on the main Kyle to Portree road there were drivers going in excess of motorway speeds on the newer sections... he wasn’t exaggerating when he said people drive through the island at 100mph)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05sxlh6
hercule

Post by hercule »

gbnz wrote:

New to the group - hoping to do Trotternish Peninsula - POrtree to Portree in MAy in 1 day.

Thanks in advance.

Make sure it's prior to mid-may; midges come out on the 15th! Don't underestimate the little b><@:~+

Usually at 4:03pm! :lol
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybe Scotland could lead the way again and have all vehicles limited to 70 mph max
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

hercule wrote:
gbnz wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Usually at 4:03pm! :lol

I thought that was the Glorious Twelfth, or is that the day they go back into hibernation?
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Skye could not be described as quiet in summer at least. Not been there for a few years now but it seems to be standing room only and not a bed to be had unless booked well in advance. Meanwhile they complain that “ their “ ferry has been taken to Mull for the summer thus limiting numbers.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

ambodach wrote:Skye could not be described as quiet in summer at least. Not been there for a few years now but it seems to be standing room only and not a bed to be had unless booked well in advance. Meanwhile they complain that “ their “ ferry has been taken to Mull for the summer thus limiting numbers.

Oh yes - many times - wonderful place - but now they've built the bridge over from Kyle and it's awful for cycling in summer. I doubt whether I'll ever go there again - what a shame.................except perhaps across to Uig to catch the Outer Isles Ferry.
Last edited by JohnW on 18 Mar 2018, 9:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Maybe Scotland could lead the way again and have all vehicles limited to 70 mph max

Yeah - but that's far too fast for Skye.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Seems Skye is effectively part of the mainland since crossing the bridge is free, - 1
There are plenty of other islands only to be reached by ferry, +1