What's your most neglected bike? (that still works)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
robing

What's your most neglected bike? (that still works)

Post by robing »

I was out in the snow and ice today on my trusty old Saracen mountain bike that I've had since I bought it new in 1995. And I thought in the 23 years I've owned this bike, I've done no maintenance on it whatsoever! Never had it serviced, never changed the cassette or chain or brake blocks, gear cables anything. But it still works! The front derailleur cable snapped but I can't be bothered fixing it! :-) It's in the middle ring so OK. The rear derailleur works fine.

The only thing I've done to the bike is swapped the nobbly tyres for slicks as I don't ride it off road any more. What's your record for most neglected bike that still works?
gbnz

Re: What's your most neglected bike? (that still works)

Post by gbnz »

My old Emmelle Clipper GT12?

Used as a matter of routine from 85-86 onwards, occasionally still picked it up and used it '94, , '95, '02. It had 1-2 replacement tyres, but otherwise would have gone on for years (Steel rims, chain 3-4 times the weight of a modern chain, chainwheel etc never replaced). I finally had to accept in '07-'08 that I hadn't used it for 5 years, it was never going to be used again and it was pointless paying to have it in storage while cycling abroad for a year.

So it went to the recycling centre
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

My MTB its nearly 3 weeks since I cleaned it and oiled the chain.
NUKe

Post by Mick F »

RSW16 in the shed.
Not been ridden by me or anyone for a few years ......................... and the rear wheel for it is in a different shed.
It was a barn find, and I cleaned it up and all it needed was a new chain, but the bike has been almost forgotten now but i did ride it quite a bit locally.
RSW16 - clean.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

Thorn Rohloff tandem, not used for two years or more. I modified a solo bike that my wife uses and she likes it so much that sitting on the back of a tandem no longer appeals.
sjs

Post by sjs »

pwa wrote:Thorn Rohloff tandem, not used for two years or more. I modified a solo bike that my wife uses and she likes it so much that sitting on the back of a tandem no longer appeals.

2015 (or 2014?) Genesis Tour de Fer, bought when I thought I might get round to trying some camping. Too heavy and sluggish to be fun in normal use.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

hmmm.... probably my hybrid. It's decked out for winter, but hasn't seen much use this year.

I've had it since 1993. It's seen a few miles (10 000?), though, and has had a whole new drive train and a few new chains. It's also had brake pads and cables. The wheels, brakes, headset, forks, shifters, BB, cranks, and pedals are original. The headset and BB have never been serviced. I do check periodically that they are functioning correctly.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
gaz

Post by gaz »

I would like to think that I show all my bikes an equal degree of neglect, it's important not to have favourites :wink: .

I have heard rumour that handlebar tape can be replaced rather than simply rewound, is this true?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Si

Post by Si »

Our tandem, because mrs si will only go for short flat rides in the good weather so doesnt need much maintence.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

Focus mountain bike, bought in 2007 used regularly until 2010, then I discovered road biking! It's now adorned with cobwebs.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Si wrote:Our tandem, because mrs si will only go for short flat rides in the good weather so doesnt need much maintence.

Our Dawes discovery tandem goes out almost every day. >6000 miles annual average milage. So no time for cleaning as it always get dirty the next ride. My maintenance regime is breakdown maintenance only and it is waiting for the good weather and the clearance of the road salt before I replace the cassette, chain, rear derailleur jockey wheels, bottom brackets, chainrings, brake blocks and I may even replace the insulating tape with proper handlebar tape. :)

And i'm too embarressed to post a picture on here :oops:
Last edited by rjb on 19 Mar 2018, 4:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

My lovely TREK 1.2 in metallic red ..... lightest bike i own by a mile but it's only the SPA and the BTwin that ever see the road.
My mum bought it for me as a pressie ..... well actually her estate did .... :roll:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Neglected as in 'not ridden' or

neglected as in 'ridden but not maintained'....?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
robing

Post by robing »

Neglected as in not maintained, then when you do get it out, works fine.
The only maintenance allowed is pumping up the tyres! :D