Let drivers know you're in trouble

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
kevmcb

Let drivers know you're in trouble

Post by kevmcb »

Hi All
I'm new here so apologies if this seems a silly question. How do you let traffic know if you encounter difficulties and cant proceed as expected? The other day whilst stopped at lights my front derailleur had slipped. This meant that as I went to cycle the teeth of the crank caught the derailleur and jammed so I effectively couldn't pedal. Fortunately I was able to use the middle of the road to get out of traffic but cars were confused and probably angry as they would have no way to understand what was happening. Any advice on how you let traffic know you are in trouble?
AlaninWales

Re: Let drivers know you're in trouble

Post by AlaninWales »

Dismount. You will then be a pedestrian and can walk with the bike to the side of the road.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

+1
Yes, get off the bike and get out of the way.

................. and welcome to the forum. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Personally, I put my left arm up to indicate I am stopping or that I have a mechanical problem, which is used in various racing contexts (both cycling and motor-racing) but is of course completely non-standard (at least in the UK - it's standard in Denmark, Italy and others), although I feel it seems more widely recognised than the standard "flapping arm" signal in the Highway Code.

Then recover the bike to a safe place if I couldn't stop in one.

And fix whatever's making a derailleur slip before it causes more mischief.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

Dismount, it's fairly clear to others that you aren't going to proceed. However, once someone stopped to let me out of a side road and I suddenly got a severe attack of cramp in one leg and couldn't move off, and neither could I get off the bike !
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Wave motorist on, dismount and get out of the way... not necessarily in that order depends on situation.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

As has been said, dismount and get out of Dodge so to speak.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
esuhl

Post by esuhl »

The most important thing is to be aware that you have been seen. If you were moving, I'd try to come to a stop safely, whilst looking around as much as possible -- rapid head movement seems to give drivers some indication that something is about to happen...

If you were unable to move, making eye-contact with the driver behind, smiling, waving apologetically, and indicating that you want to move to the side sort-of communicates your intentions.

As long as everyone stops and you're in no danger of being hit, you can get out of the way, and who cares if people get annoyed. **** happens. Some people are just looking for any excuse to get annoyed, and driving a motor vehicle is the only time they feel in control -- don't take it personally! The only important thing is that you are safe. :-D

Obviously it can be dangerous to stop like this, so you definitely need to look at what caused the problem and fix the bike so it doesn't happen again. You might need to adjust the derailleurs, or see if the chain & gears are worn.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Should you have a spare hand, sticking it up isn't a bad idea. Some people may be aware of its significance in motor and cycle sports etc and it's unusualness (sorry invented word) may attract attention and give you breathing space. I do it automatically, dunno why. Once you are unlikely to be tail ended act like a pedestrian.
Ignore negative behaviour but thanks helpful people.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I agree with the above advice. I would add that a smile and a wave often disarm annoyance.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom