Knee pain/new ride

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Graham

Post by Graham »

Speshact wrote:I did some stretching exercises and gave a day or two's rest. Pain started to go away and continuing with riding with a high cadence and doing streching exercises got to have no pain at all.

Just to emphasise again (sorry folks) . . . I started my post-ride, leg-stretching routine about 7 years ago, and continue to day. This was in response to increasing knee pain which was in danger of seriously reducing my quality of life. i.e. I would have had to reduce mileage or even stop riding !!
. . . but it may not be the only thing, as others have suggested. The technical fix(es) may be quick. The stretching has to become a lifelong habit. :?
minkie

Post by minkie »

Graham: I like the idea of the stretching exercises. What sort of thing to you do?

thanks
Graham

Post by Graham »

minkie wrote:Graham: I like the idea of the stretching exercises. What sort of thing to you do?

I described what I actually do here. Although I would advise extreme caution - as it is from a dodgy, non-expert source . . . me!

I have googled on "leg stretching exercises" and come up with something conventional & familiar like this.

Plenty more to look at too.
Russell160

Post by Russell160 »

Just to update on final (happy) outcome:
-raised saddle
-adjusted SPDs to take account of 10 to 2 feet.
-tried lower gears
-tried easier route
-not pulling up on the pedal stroke
Result: no pain.
-tried longer route, more climbing
Result: still no pain. Problem solved!
Also went to a physio after this. She diagnosed no real problem with my knee itself, but I am flat footed and will need orthotic inserts if I want to do running. The flat foot means means my knee twists in and is out of alignment with hip. She suggested these would be useful also for cycling, so we will see. Thanks for all your advice I will give Paul Hewitt in Preston a try sometime.
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

have you tried taking any supplements??

when i increased mileage, and partly from running, i got knee pain!
so i take one fish oil capsule each day now...which really does make a diiference! hardly no knee pains since! nd if i do get any pain...its nowhere near as severe