What wheel jig this is please

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
fausto copy

What wheel jig this is please

Post by fausto copy »

Any ideas on the manufacture of this heavyweight item:

Wheel jig 01.jpg
Wheel jig 01.jpg (167.97 KiB) Viewed 1226 times

Wheel jig 02.jpg

And possibly of value, as it's available to purchase.
Thanks. fausto.
drossall

Re: What wheel jig this is please

Post by drossall »

Might work for trike wheels? They're a minor problem because they don't have axles in the normal way - the wheel just has a hub shell, which slides onto an axle after you've built it.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

drossall wrote:Might work for trike wheels? They're a minor problem because they don't have axles in the normal way - the wheel just has a hub shell, which slides onto an axle after you've built it.

Think about it - it's designed to be used with QR wheels with a hollow axle.

It looks the sort of thing Cyclo might have made, as to value - it'll be what someone is willing to give, i'd guess about £40
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Thanks both.

Despite having three trailers, I am pretty convinced that my late friend hadn't built wheels for any of them, but realise that it would do a good job.

My friend did though, build many hollow axle wheels for himself and a few of us lucky enough to know him well enough. :)

Regarding value, I think it would cost me around 40 pounds to post, as that's about how heavy it is. :wink:

Thanks for your thoughts.

fausto
pete75

Post by pete75 »

It looks as if it's been adapted. The chrome parts look a lot more recent than the cast iron stand which'll be what accounts for the weight. I've a cast iron stand of a bit different design - a Bradbury no 1.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Sum

Post by Sum »

It looks similar to a Lake & Elliot Millennium wheel truing stand. If it was a Lake & Elliot then it should have the name on the cast legs.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

I'm sure it hasn't been adapted.
The cast iron bits are just a bit grubby from being kept in a well-used workshop.
And the chrome arms are secured into the cast iron bit via pre-moulded sockets (or whatever the proper term is).

I haven't seen any manufacturer markings, which is why I pondered the question.
drossall

Post by drossall »

foxyrider wrote:Think about it - it's designed to be used with QR wheels with a hollow axle.

Oh I realise that. I said it might work for trike wheels. I doubt whether anyone, except perhaps Trykit, would build a jig only for trike wheels :D
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Sorry, but I think that it's been modded too...

Are the axle locators(?) a larger diameter than a standard rear axle? If they are then I think that the original parts would have had concave rather than conical ends. In that way the jig would accommodate both solid and QR axles, and solid axles would have been far more prevalent when that jig was made

The rim gauge is way too complex as well. I think that would have been a simple T-shape, with the rim aligned in the right-angle, i.e one side only and roundness

Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

It does seem to have had some modifications.

It may be a copy of a Lake & Elliot stand.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

tim-b wrote:Hi
Sorry, but I think that it's been modded too...

Are the axle locators(?) a larger diameter than a standard rear axle? If they are then I think that the original parts would have had concave rather than conical ends. In that way the jig would accommodate both solid and QR axles, and solid axles would have been far more prevalent when that jig was made

The rim gauge is way too complex as well. I think that would have been a simple T-shape, with the rim aligned in the right-angle, i.e one side only and roundness

Regards
tim-b

You mean like these?
Axle holders.jpg

Just found them in one of the tool trays. :roll:
It appears the jig could have been supplied with two sets.
Perhaps it is a copy of a Lake & Elliot stand.
Anyway, thanks for your help.
After I've weighed it and worked out delivery costs, I'll advertise it in the For Sale section.
fausto.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Yes, they're the ones. The concave type don't work as well with some shorter, stubby QR axles and clamp the cone locknut instead, which then won't centralise the axle. Probably not modded in that case, although the rim gauge is still unnecessarily complex :)
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~