Frame mount roof bike carrier recommendations

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Tangled Metal

Frame mount roof bike carrier recommendations

Postby Tangled Metal » 27 Mar 2018, 2:14pm

I need a better bike carrier for my rectangular section Thule roof bars. I have mid range Halfords carrier and an now looking at something a bit better and easier to use. My choices are :

Thule freeride 532 - £54
Thule proride 598 - £98
Atera AF + - £75

Plus next day delivery charges.

Respective links are below.

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/thule_freeride_cycle_rack_no_532/Qx%40w%2C6M42VAwp3%40Rb%7B~cC4ure5JvXO

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/thule_598_proride_bike_carrier_silver/Qx%40w%2C6M42VAwp3%40Rb%7B~cC4urewxvE2

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/atera_giro_af_aluminium_bike_carrier_no_ar2227/Qx%40w%2C6M42VAwp3%40Rb%7B~cC4ure%60JRMa

Anyone used any of these. Which are easiest to use? Is the extra price of the better ones worth it for the features / easier on use benefits? Any others?

I prefer not spend the £100+ when you factor in square bar adapter for the proride one but if it's worth the extra I would.

BTW it's for a recumbent which I'm, confident all three would work out. Being a heavier bike and a more awkward bike to lift I think easy might be worth something, but I think the cheapest is easier than the Halfords carrier so should be enough.

What's your views / opinions?

Psamathe

Re: Frame mount roof bike carrier recommendations

Postby Psamathe » 27 Mar 2018, 2:26pm

I recently got a ProRide 598 (on square section bars). Got the square section bars adapter (not included in the product) from Amazon as the supplier didn't stock them.

Only used it a couple of times (one 60 mile trip, one 5 mile trip) and it seems fine except I would not want to use it without extra stays - I used straps round seat post to end of roof bars. The extra stays straps take seconds to put on so not really any issue. Not tried it without stays, just as putting bike on and tugging it I felt extra straps "wise".

I got a black one for £80 (inc VAT) http://www.indespension.co.uk/home/2254-thule-proride-598b.html.

Ian

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 28 Mar 2018, 2:45pm

I've had a couple of freeride 532's for several years now and they are fine in use. I use a bit of padding around the down tube to prevent scratches, but the bikes are held very securely. A bit fiddly to get the bikes mounted. You have to hold the bike with one hand and wind in the wing nut with the other, then there's a cam closure that holds the bike secure. Then strap up the wheels and you're done. I've seen a 598 in action. It has a winding handle to enclose the down tube, so it's perhaps a bit easier to use than the 532, as you can do that with one hand.

Both can cope with a vareity of frame tubes - I've had my steel tubed tourer and alu tubed winter and summer bikes mounted with no problems. Ive not found any need for extra straps/support. Bikes fine on a journey from the East Midlands to Penzance. You can also lock the bikes onto the mount with just a turn of a key.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 28 Mar 2018, 3:07pm

I've commented favourably on the pro-ride somewhere on the forum before. Like Thule stuff in general, they are good. The big advantage is that once you have them set up (the wheel holders may need sliding along for different sizes of bike) loading the bike is relatively easy in that you get it in place, then hold it with one hand while adjusting the gripper with the other hand. I say "relatively" because you still have to get the bike up there.

I have a design similar to the Freeride from another manufacturer and it's slightly more faff. Not a big deal, especially for occasional use.

I've been very pleased with the service from these:

https://roofracks.co.uk/Thule-Fit-Guide/

I don't know how they currently compare on price, but they seem to stock just about everything and on the rare occasion when I've not found the answer to a query on that excellent website, the telephone help as been first rate. They also do a key matching service so with a bit of planning you can have one key to unlock everything.

9494arnold

Postby 9494arnold » 28 Mar 2018, 3:22pm

I've had a few Thule Variants, think I currently have a Proride (?) where you knock the front wheel out and clamp the fork and that's over square roof bars.

Slight aside, friend of mine who runs a bike shop says if you are using a front wheel out carrier, the bike should face backwards relative to the car as it lessens the stress on the headset.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 28 Mar 2018, 3:48pm

The one where you remove the wheel is the Outride.

RickH

Postby RickH » 28 Mar 2018, 4:17pm

9494arnold wrote:Slight aside, friend of mine who runs a bike shop says if you are using a front wheel out carrier, the bike should face backwards relative to the car as it lessens the stress on the headset.

I would have thought the reverse is true - with the bike facing forwards the airflow is tending to blow the rest of the bike back into line. With the bike reversed the airflow will tend to try to twist the bike sideways.

ratherbeintobago

Postby ratherbeintobago » 29 Mar 2018, 7:13am

We have two 598s and two 591s.

The difference between the two is that the 598 has a slightly better shape of ‘claw’ (it has an edge on it so the bike can’t drop out while you tighten) and has a torque limiter on the tightening mechanism (apparently because people weren’t doing it up tight enough). You can also get fatbike wheel adaptors for the 598 if that matters.

On the other hand, I got the two 591s off the ‘Bay for less than the price of a new 598.

As an aside, on either I put a bit of old inner tube between the down tube and any cables before tightening the clamp up.

downstream

Postby downstream » 1 Apr 2018, 10:43pm

IIRC, another difference is that the 591 fits to square or aero-type roof bars out of the box; the 598 is primarily designed for aero bars and therefore needs a separate adaptor for square bars. The OP wants to fit to square bars, therefore the 591 seems the better bet. Now discontinued but easily available as NOS for around £70. Mine have done lots of trips, carrying kids' bikes, with no issues. Have never used a 598 so can't comment otherwise.

Personally, I think Thule stuff is worth the money; carrying anything on the car roof regularly and at speed demands quality equipment. I'm sure another discussion on here linked to a youtube vid of crash tests in Germany; only thule carriers retained the bikes in the test scenario. I've seen bikes come flying off the roof of other peoples' cars on the motorway - I'd never trust a cheap carrier.

ratherbeintobago

Postby ratherbeintobago » 2 Apr 2018, 8:00am

You’d get a 598 from Halfords with the CUK discount for about £81.

There are lots of 591s on the ‘Bay relatively cheaply too; as above, Thule stuff is relatively solidly built and spares are easily available, and frankly I don’t think (most) bike carriers have a hard life...

Mattievrs

Postby Mattievrs » 2 Apr 2018, 10:13am

A bit late to the party but I swear by these

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbveh ... kQvENt~5Cm

Pricey but will fit any style bars, are incredibly secure for both bike and leaving on bars.

I have 2 and will use these for the rest of my cycling life without a doubt.
From Leicester
Road and mtb are my thing. Aswell as cars,women,fire,meat and beer.

ratherbeintobago

Postby ratherbeintobago » 2 Apr 2018, 10:20am

Thule have just launched something similar (link). Spendy though, and while I know Thule locks aren’t exactly the be-all of security an integrated cable lock seems underwhelming.

How does the Yakima one lock?

Mattievrs

Postby Mattievrs » 2 Apr 2018, 10:29am

ratherbeintobago wrote:Thule have just launched something similar (link). Spendy though, and while I know Thule locks aren’t exactly the be-all of security an integrated cable lock seems underwhelming.

How does the Yakima one lock?

The unit itself locks with a key at the front mount with some kind of cam shaped lug inside the plastic housing, so isn’t on show or easily fiddled with. Once the bike is on it there is a cable lock that is integrated into one of the wheel holder hoops, so again, it would need to be physically cut through. I guess like anything, if someone wants it, they’ll have it!

I do admit that I usually use an additional 3 metre cable and d lock that goes through the bike frame, the bike carrier and under the bar section of my locking roof bars as well if I’m leaving the bike on at a campsite overnight.
From Leicester
Road and mtb are my thing. Aswell as cars,women,fire,meat and beer.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 2 Apr 2018, 11:37am

Interesting vid of the Thule Upride here. (I'd never heard of it before this thread.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewmdE3DmlL0

I could see it being of real interest to anybody worried about damaging a carbon frame. That's the market Thule is targeting here.

I see it has an additional security cable, and big deal. To assess the ability of anything like this to withstand a crook, nice people have to forget their own bourgeois worldview and think of it in the same way as a determined thief. eg Break the flimsy locks holding the rack on the roof and load the whole shebang into the back of a van for attention later. Or steal the car it's all loaded on. etc.

craigbroadbent

Postby craigbroadbent » 3 Apr 2018, 10:57am

And if you want a rear 'No frame Touch' (Carbon Friendly) rack look here.

https://auxtail.com/